Is Emby on Android TV fully functional without internet? Also, how well are subtitles handled?

dapper

dapper

I'm planning on getting a new TV, mostly to watch content off my local Emby server, and am trying to decide between TV OS's -- mostly between Android TV & Roku.

I'm leaning towards Android TV because it sounds like it would have better compatibility across a wider range of codecs / subtitle formats than Roku (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Either way, I don't want any TV to connect to the internet.  I just want the TV to connect to my Emby server on my LAN.  The Emby server is itself connected to the internet.  Will this limit any functionality on the Android TV Emby app?  (I have the same question for the Emby Roku app, in case anyone in this subforum knows)

Hi.  You would not be able to take advantage of Emby Premiere features without any internet access.  This means you would need to purchase the unlock for the app and that will allow just playback.  However, to purchase the unlock, you'll need to allow the TV to connect to the internet.  You will also need internet connectivity for updates.

Why do you not want to allow the TV to connect to the internet?

dapper

Emby Premiere features require the client device to connect to the internet?  I thought my (internet-connected) local Emby server managed the Premier device usage limits itself?

I do have Emby Premiere, and use Local Accounts on the Emby server (I don't use Emby Connect)

I'm fine with occasionally letting it online for updates.  But otherwise, an internet connection would only be used to send advertisements to me, and upload data about me to the cloud -- both of which can never benefit me and can only harm me

Emby Premiere features require the client device to connect to the internet?

It does not require a constant connection, only occasionally to validate Premiere access.