Making the ultimate choice on which software I should use - Emby or Plex ? (I know this is a Emby forum)

ng4ever

ng4ever
1 minute ago, cayars said:

What do you mean by this by "Auto update"?

Automatically download and install the latest version or update of Emby without user interaction on the NAS. That is all.

6 minutes ago, ng4ever said:

Automatically download and install the latest version or update of Emby without user interaction on the NAS. That is all.

Oh, ok.  Not yet but very soon.  Right now you have to download the spk from our website and then install it via package center but you will soon be able to have it auto update.
The console however does tell you when there is a new version available.

2 minutes ago, ng4ever said:

Thanks see like downloading it working now for that release version! Weird.

How do I get the public key for Emby btw ?

https://support.plex.tv/articles/205165858-how-to-add-plex-s-package-signing-public-key-to-synology-nas-package-center/

Like that.

Right now you don't because we don't host through Synology (which is coming soon).

• Like 1

ng4ever
Just now, cayars said:

Oh, ok.  Not yet but very soon.  Right now you have to download the spk from our website and then install it via package center but you will soon be able to have it auto update.
The console however does tell you when there is a new version available.

This is what a third party user did. Let me show you. Is the same possible for Emby? https://github.com/michealespinola/syno.plexupdate

If not it is ok or unless Emby will have a official way soon I guess it is worth waiting.

How will it work btw ?

ng4ever
Just now, cayars said:

Right now you don't because we don't host through Synology (which is coming soon).

Oh ok but will the version hosted through Synology actually be updated at the same speed as it is on the official website? Highly doubt it but could be totally wrong.

I'm not sure of all the technical details as I'm not working on that but one of the team members is.
It will be easy to do however and work like on our other platforms where it just auto updates (if you select that option).

On 18/06/2021 at 22:32, ng4ever said:

Synology DS220+

Hi,

I have a few DiskStations. One of them is a DS220+ with 6GB RAM and I'm running Emby on DSM and vDSM (two instances of Emby) with no problems. We use ATV and a few iPads and Emby runs more than 90% in direct play with no need for transcoding (no 4K media). When I was running Video Station (Synology's media player), I'd say it transcoded 70-80% of whatever I played!
Transcoding capability is only available for premier users as far as I know (in case you want to test it).

I've also ran Emby on a DS120j (one of the lowest performers in Synology's current line) and it almost plays everything (direct play as it doesn't support transcoding). The 120j is accessed remotely as it's on a different continent, thousands of miles away over OpenVPN. Even though it's used by a single user with Emby on the iPad, I was impressed that Emby ran on it (120j) and played almost everything (in our library) remotely.

I've only tried Plex briefly and I didn't like it. Didn't like the fact that I have to login to their server to use my media and I didn't like their privacy policies. I choose Emby and bought a lifetime license. Of course (in my opinion) there is room for improvement for Emby (e.g. the music player for me is one of them). However, I think the developers are actively working on developing Emby and I appreciate that.

As for the UI, it’s a personal preference of course. For me being a minimalist, I like that I can control Emby’s Home Screen and make it so simple and clean without any distractions.

You can buy a one month license for each (Emby and Plex) and try them both.

Good luck :)

• 2 weeks later...
unisoft
On 18/06/2021 at 16:24, cayars said:

Why fix it if you can remove it and call it a day. LOL

Once the Emby team gives camera upload a little love it's overdue this will be another reason people migrate to Emby. :)

I agree generally, Emby better, but I am scathing about the change to views when selecting GENRES in Music, Music Videos and Audiobooks. It should then show a list of artists/authors THEN albums/books. Now we get just a list of random albums/books. The family are protesting strongly as makes no sense, even asking for Windows Media Center back again! One change, so much trouble....all because of blindly copying Spotify (who get it wrong).

We want to go into GENRES, see a list of them, click one, like 'POP' MUSIC, then get a list of Artists that have their tracks tagged in ID3v2 meta data as "Pop". After picking an artists we like, we THEN want to see a list of their albums or singles. GENRE > ARTISTS > ALBUMS rather than the change to GENRE > ALBUMS.

I asked EBR to have a sticky option for view (By artist, By Album) to suit everyone, but he's dragging his heels about it. It's such an important basic requirement though. Hell, I don;t even mind an option in the Emby config XML file....

Edited by unisoft