Next up Legacy not populating.

SLMK

Next Up legacy is not populating on my server, regardless of client or user.

If enabled and I watch a new episode it sometimes populates for that show, but its not showing any of the many in progress shows from prior to the change.

Its a bit hard to know exactly how many should be there, but for example the account for my primary TV has around a dozen different shows in progress and not one of them is showing on next up.

The new continue watching appears to be a broken mess, its listing multiple in progress episodes from the same show which I understand it is not supposed to be doing, its also showing no next up episodes for any shows.

Something is broken, any ideas?

----

Also a completely unrelated minor issue. I have a mixed library for documentaries. Within the folder structure there is a hidden folder used by syncthing on my NAS called ".stfolder".

This folder never used to show up, which is ideal as there is nothing in it, since the 4.6 update this is showing up in the library.

It would be great to have that behaviour reverted, as I canot delete that folder without breaking the sync system.

embyserver.txt

Edited by SLMK

15 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, here is the short answer to hide folders
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159118-excluding-files-folders

This had to change in 4.6 because a dot in the name of a folder or file is valid.

Can you show us screen shots of what you see for Continue and Next Up Legacy?

Ah perfect, that did the trick, cheers.

--

Next up just isnt showing at all, it should be there between latest shows and continue watching.

And just in the shows visible in this screenshot, the 10 episodes of For All Mankind are from season 2, and the 6 episodes of the Epanse are from season 5. So both should be in next up.

Menu.JPG.5bc6f1eef409e295b993fc4c517c035a.JPGHomescreen.thumb.JPG.2854e14c98a4f74887c552a41574a986.JPG

On 6/13/2021 at 5:44 AM, SLMK said:

The new continue watching appears to be a broken mess, its listing multiple in progress episodes from the same show which I understand it is not supposed to be doing, its also showing no next up episodes for any shows.

Since you selected the Legacy Next Up row, you are not seeing the new continue watching row.  That is exactly as it would have been in the previous version.

The question is why aren't you seeing the next up row.  If you try to manually mark one of your episodes as watched, does it work?

8 hours ago, ebr said:

Since you selected the Legacy Next Up row, you are not seeing the new continue watching row.  That is exactly as it would have been in the previous version.

The question is why aren't you seeing the next up row.  If you try to manually mark one of your episodes as watched, does it work?

Ah, ok I assumed the new continue watching row had fixed behavior. I will check and make sure the behavior is changing depending on where I'm using legacy or not. I'm not a huge fan of the new combined row as my other users cannot be trained to mark shows as watched or not properly! they flood the poor thing with partially watched episodes so I will likely never be able to use it outside of my own account.

Yes, manually marking episodes as watched can get the next up row to show sometimes, but it still does not populate with all the other shows it should be showing. While I have seen it show up it isn't consistent, for example the expanse should still be on there, episodes of that have been watched since the latest update.

• 4 weeks later...

There are literally dozens of shows in my library for that user that have episodes watched that would have been showing up here under the old version, unless I am misunderstanding or something has changed?

In that watch history list for example you can see that day an episode of both Doom Patrol and Sopranos were watched, both shows have more unwatched episodes that should be showing up here.

Prior to the 4.6 update there were dozens of entries in next up, all of them disappeared after the update and it will not repopulate any but a very few shows. It seems (I'll have to double check this) that only media that has been added to my library since the update to 4.6 now shows up in next up. Anything that was preexisting has been purged from the list if it was in progress, and will not show up at all even if more shows are watched.

Happy2Play

Can you show a screenshot of Dashboard-Library.

1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

Can you show a screenshot of Dashboard-Library.

Sure, might take me a while to get around to it though.

---

Seeing as no one else seems to have this issue I might just look at rebuilding everything, its clearly not a known issue. However given that its probably a good idea to mention my configuration here first, its a little unconventional although its never caused any issues before.

I do all my media organization with TinyMediaManager and save xml files to the folders (although all the media naming and folder layout is per the recommendations anyway, this just allows me to more easily override the occasional odd shows etc), the media is on a NAS partition and Emby runs on another machine with read-only access to the media partition. Emby pulls media info from the tags and only scrapes missing artwork etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
SLMK

Hi, just a quick follow up. I never did bother with resolving this as it seemed to be unique to my server and could be tolerated. I had plans to delete and rebuild the library to fix it, but losing watch history for everything didnt seem worth the effort.

Any episode added to my library after the 4.7 update would show in next up correctly, anything from before did not, regardless of its watched state. This also resulted in a quirk where if any show had seasons from before and after the update, watching an episode from before the update would populate next up with the first episode from after the update, regardless of how many unwatched seasons were between them.

4.8 has resolved it, whatever the hell it was. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, SLMK said:

Dang, still there. Its resolved it for some shows but not others.

Hi there, can you please provide a specific example? Thanks.

SLMK

OK, here is the current next up queue on an account:nextup.thumb.JPG.88b9a1e9297b6384bd73b58f27825d9c.JPG

I've marked 5 episodes of this show as watched, the last is unwatched.

Like everything else I have added since the 4.6 update it is correctly showing the unplayed episode in Next Up. However it is the only item in Next Up, the below two old shows have been marked partly watched and do not show up.

roswell.JPG.6a5da128cd3b213a3a4a118d7111b844.JPG

Older show, two seasons marked watched, one unwatched. No episodes showing in Next Up, s03e01 should be showing.

trueblood.thumb.JPG.ade67f756c2336bf813af538ae45cf19.JPG

Another, same situation, s07e01 should be showing.

Am I mistaken in expecting these to be showing their next unwatched episodes in Next Up?  They all used to behave as I am expecting here but ever since 4.6 this has broken down.

The update to 4.7 fixed some of them, it appears older shows that have had any episodes added since 4.6 are now fixed for all their episodes, I haven't gone through all of them to confirm this but a number of previously problem shows now work. Shows that were added entirely prior to 4.6 are still showing the symptoms. I can resolve this by deleting a show from the library and re-adding it, however that's pretty disruptive as all watched states are lost for all users and older shows will now be showing as new.

OK try playing the episodes for those shows and see if that helps.

SLMK

Hi Luke, dont take this the wrong way, because I do appreciate your time and any help, but have you looked at my examples above and what Ive already written? Thats exactly what I have already said does not work. In the 3 years Ive been dealing with this issue, I have, I promise you, actually watched some of these shows.

Both of the old shows Roswell and True Blood in the two screenshots above you can see have had all episodes watched except those in the last season, which should make the first unwatched epidode appear in Next Up but does not. If I do the same procedure in a recently added show it works correctly. Masters of the Air is showing up as expected because it is a recently added show.

If I pick any other newly added show at random and mark any episode as watched, the next unwatched episode will appear in Next Up, doing this with any show added solely before 4.6 will not show in Next Up, consistently, no matter how many of them I have watched.

If no one has any idea and its never been seen before thats fine, I will have to commit to a library rebuild, but the equivalent of have you tried turning it off and on again isnt really productive.

Hi, what I'm looking to find out is if it still actively reproduces with new play sessions or if this is an issue that's tied to older data. Can you try it and find that out? Thanks.

SLMK

I only marked those example shows above as watched the day I took those screenshots, its still current on new plays for any shows affected.

Here, Ive marked as played all but one episode just now:

roswell.JPG.28024f3405e8fd4a15873894c0ace2db.JPG

And heres the next up queue, no change:

next.JPG.9b794f11a6a0e3c77d8e5d26bc0fe6ef.JPG

Happy2Play

Have yet been able to recreate an issue with Next Up being wrong.  Making any give episode as watched the next episode appear first in the list as the Lastwatched date is now.

Only tested marking items as played. 

But have not seen an issue on production system with daily use updating next up row.

SLMK
16 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Have yet been able to recreate an issue

Yea, this issue seems to be unique to me.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, SLMK said:

Yea, this issue seems to be unique to me.

To me it would seem to be a userdata issue.

Have you tested this behavior on a new/test user?