Is this the correct assumption with Path Substitution?

dannieboiz

dannieboiz

MBS is on my server 2012 box with all the drives of the media mapped to the server.

All my media is on my NAS. 

Assuming that the MyMovies folder is mapped on my server as drive M: I would put in the path substitution as

To: \\NAS IP\MyMovies

this would allow the contents to stream from the NAS straight to the client and not NAS ->Server->Client therefore, the stream speed would be direct from NAS to client and less load on the server?

Edited by dannieboiz

dannieboiz

Looks correct, you could also add media path's directly as \\nasip\mymovies instead of M:/

This is actually what I have it as, so do I still need to do path substitution if I already have this as my path directory?

This is actually what I have it as, so do I still need to do path substitution if I already have this as my path directory?

No.

• 10 months later...
Budwyzer

I'm using a NAS as well, and was curious about this, but I'm confused on this.

Is "//DISKSTATION1/Movies" the same as "//10.10.10.125/Movies" ?

My router, upon a reboot one day, decided to wipe out all the cool static IPs that I had setup and changed everything to 10.10.10.x from 192.168.1.x .   No idea why, it just didn't seem to enjoy that power outage in the middle of the night.

Edited by Budwyzer

BarryAmerika

If you have NFS shares set up on the NAS as well it could make a difference. I have NFS shares set up on my NAS to make life easier for a couple of Raspberry Pi devices.

I'm using a similar setup at the moment with //DISKSTATION1/Movies being an SMB share and the //10.10.10.125/Movies path an NFS share.

I ran into a problem recently with permissions in a particular folder that took me ages to work out because I had set one part to use SMB paths with full permissions available and another part of the server to use NFS which was unknowingly restricted to read only in certain places, I'd shared a parent folder but that wasn't reflected in certain new child folders.

One problem I encounter on power failures is the Windows machine running the Emby server has a dodgy network card, it takes a bit of fidling to get it going and so when the Emby server launches it looks for those shared files, sees them missing and marks everything in my library as unavailable. A server restart or forced library scan brings it all back and I have it set to save all meta data locally so nothing gets lost.

Have you got an option to backup the config on your router? And maybe set IP manually on the NAS if you can.

Budwyzer

Okay, thanks, I'll look into using IP based paths when I get a chance.  

Power failures is not an issue for me anymore. I've got a small UPS in the closet with the router and NAS and another larger one on the entertainment center in the living room, where the HTPC/server is at.

I can set static IPs in my modem. I had previously done this with the utility that bases them on the MAC address of each device, and need to do this again. It's just really hard to get motivated enough because I know that once I start I'm not going to stop until every device in the house gets a static IP.  :P

Koleckai Silvestri

Your NAS should probably have a static IP address. Then you don't need to worry about power failures. On my network, the servers, network storage, routers, and printers need to be found consistently. They all have static IP address in the range of 10.0.0.1 through 10.0.0.100. For everything else, they get dynamic IP addresses from 101-255. Storage should be a device that has its own home address (IP) on the network. 

Budwyzer

I completely agree, and I would get back to it, but like I said once I start I'm not going to stop until the NAS, every PC, TV, FireTV stick, Chromecast, phone, tablet, and game console has their own static IPs.   :wacko:  

And you're right, it is 10.0.0.xxx .   I didn't mean to take over this post with this though.  I was just curious if the IP path was any different than the direct machine name path.

plazma

Using the ip address (not hostname),and unc paths is the most fault tolerant way to set it up.

name services can fail or have issues, not saying it will, but if you know the ip why bother.

mapped drives can have issues.

All ways will work, but for mapped drives your just creating more work, first to map the drive and then to use substitution to make clients work correctly witb it.

Just a good old ip address makes it easy and more fault tolerant.

Using the ip address (not hostname),and unc paths is the most fault tolerant way to set it up.

name services can fail or have issues, not saying it will, but if you know the ip why bother.

mapped drives can have issues.

All ways will work, but for mapped drives your just creating more work, first to map the drive and then to use substitution to make clients work correctly witb it.

Just a good old ip address makes it easy and more fault tolerant.

That depends.  If the IP address could change, then the machine name would be more tolerant.

plazma

That would only apply on a server running/set for dhcp, however if your setting up port forwards etc and hosting any type of server a static ip nearly always makes better sense.

That would only apply on a server running/set for dhcp, however if your setting up port forwards etc and hosting any type of server a static ip nearly always makes better sense.

The media could be on a machine other than the Emby Server and, thus, not need any sort of port-forwarding.  I suspect this is the case for a lot of users so, in that case, the machine name would probably be more reliable and easier for network novices.

But, either one will work with its own caveats and based on the particular situation.

plazma

Yes, sorry I should have explained more completely, I was generalising as I said etc and any type of service any nas box, smb server, vpn, ssh etc etc internally with an ipv4 network a static ip just makes more sense, dhcp has its place for transient clients, but for hosted services your always better off with a static ip.