Migrating Emby Server from Windows 10 to Unraid

kazands

kazands

Hey guys,

I can't find a clear answer, so I thought I'd ask.  I'm moving my Emby setup from my Windows 10 machine, to Unraid.  I want to know if there is any way to only migrate over my settings,  users and their status..  I can't figure it out for the life of me.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

kazands

Hi, If you install the Emby Config Backup Plugin (in the catalog) you can essentially do this by selecting only those things you just mentioned during the restore.
You can of course restore each users watched status as well but I think that's what you meant by status.

Check out about half way down this KB article for the manual section.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159936-configuration-backup

But personally I think you would be far better getting a monthly Premiere License which would let you use the plugin and get the migration done.  That's about $5 or so to make a job much easier.  Would also let you play with the features and other clients like Theater if you wanted for during the month as well.

Your welcome.

Let us know how you make out or if you get stuck along the way and need a bit more info or help.

kazands

Hey Cayars,

So I have all my data copied over to my unraid server, I have activated my Emby Premiere account and have installed the Backup/Restore plugin.  I have the backup that was created on my old windows machine, but I'm having trouble configuring where the backup config folder should be on the unraid server for me to restore the backup.  Could you help with that?

Edited by kazands

kazands

Ok, so I got this sorted out, but now I'm having issues setting up the new library paths.  what do I need to enter if my movie path is /mnt/user/Media/Movies/  When I type that it keeps saying path cannot be found.

Glad you got the first thing worked out.

What you need to do first is make sure the Emby account running the software has read/write permission to any location where you have media stored.
You should then be able to navigate your folder structure using the web gui to get to the media such as your movie folder.

KMBanana

Unraid uses docker containers which is doesn't sound like you are familiar with.  I'd look up some unraid/docker tutorials.  Space Invader One has some good ones. 

When you setup a docker container on unraid you add volume mappings.  These are how you give docker containers access to files on unraid.  

If your movies are stored in "/mnt/user/Media/Movieson Unraid then it means you have a share setup called "Media" and inside that a folder called "Movies"

You should therefore setup EITHER a volume mount for Emby for /Media or /Movies

For /Media you would setup a container path of /Media, and a Host path of /mnt/user/Media  Inside of Emby you would set your library as /Media/Movies

For /Movies would setup a container path of /Movies and a host path of /mnt/user/Media/Movies  You would need to setup additional volume mappings for your Emby container for other libraries.  Inside of Emby you would set your library as /Movies  

Any paths in Unraid are going to be case sensitive, so make sure you are being exact.  

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys - I'm in a similar boat with the importing of the users and watched status coming from Windows based over to Unraid. Got it all setup and working fine with the directories etc so the library is populated BUT.... I have quite a few users so am I right in thinking that I should be able to "restore" the users and their watched status etc using the Emby Config Backup Plugin that I made on the windows machine (copy that to the new unraid system and place the backup in the same folder that the backup plugin uses).

Sounds really simple but best to ask before messing things up :)

Appreciate any feedback.

3 hours ago, Josh4u said:

Hi Guys - I'm in a similar boat with the importing of the users and watched status coming from Windows based over to Unraid. Got it all setup and working fine with the directories etc so the library is populated BUT.... I have quite a few users so am I right in thinking that I should be able to "restore" the users and their watched status etc using the Emby Config Backup Plugin that I made on the windows machine (copy that to the new unraid system and place the backup in the same folder that the backup plugin uses).

Sounds really simple but best to ask before messing things up :)

Appreciate any feedback.

HI, yes that's exactly it. I would also check out our backup guide and let us know if that helps:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159936-backup

Thanks.

• Like 1

Happy2Play
7 hours ago, Josh4u said:

I have quite a few users so am I right in thinking that I should be able to "restore" the users and their watched status etc using the Emby Config Backup Plugin that I made on the windows machine (copy that to the new unraid system and place the backup in the same folder that the backup plugin uses).

Sort of as you install the plugin and point it to your backup folder.  You don't really want to use Emby plugin folder for that location.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Sort of as you install the plugin and point it to your backup folder.  You don't really want to use Emby plugin folder for that location.

Yup I was only meaning the backed up windows emby config file that was created which I would then copy that over to Unraid and pop that file into the new "backups" folder that the config backup plugin on the unraid system used (I'd obviously make a backup of the config on unraid before trying it). The libraries are all there on unraid it's just the users which I would use the restore feature on - hopefully that would then import these users along with their passwords etc and watch history but I have a feeling that sounds too good to be true lol

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
richardvrusso

Hey guys,

If I wanted to only copy the users and their watched status would these two locations be needed? This is on unraid if that makes a difference.

1. the contents of the users folder
  2. the users.db file

image.png.7be9f40a02c20b3eae573b26511d2185.png

*EDIT*

I realize if i can just replace that file I'll lose login, likely, with the user i created the new server with. I'll just use the same account from the 1st emby server.

Edited by richardvrusso

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, richardvrusso said:

Hey guys,

If I wanted to only copy the users and their watched status would these two locations be needed? This is on unraid if that makes a difference.

1. the contents of the users folder
  2. the users.db file

image.png.7be9f40a02c20b3eae573b26511d2185.png

*EDIT*

I realize if i can just replace that file I'll lose login, likely, with the user i created the new server with. I'll just use the same account from the 1st emby server.

Neither as userdata is the userdatas table within the library.db.  And yes if replaced the users.db you would lose the new server user completely.

So if you wanted to restore all users you need the users.db

Userdata you would use the plugin and do a backup on older then point the new server backup plugin to that old location or copy the backups to new server location and Extract data from back to get userdata.

image.png.412892c5e2cae96899d052739636fb48.png

richardvrusso

Ah, gotcha. What is that users folder for? 🤔 UI customization?

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, richardvrusso said:

Ah, gotcha. What is that users folder for? 🤔 UI customization?

Basically yes custom images,  Home Screen order/options, Restrictions/parental controls applied to user. (policy and config xmls)

richardvrusso

Interesting. Sounds like if I want to be this granular I'll have to use the plugin. Also will have to grab a premiere lic to use the plugin. I tried it long ago on the 1st server so the trial is done.