Apple tv remote 'connection failure' but works everywhere else

nathanborysiewicz

nathanborysiewicz

Hi

I have latest emby server in docker, with pfsense router with haproxy exposing my emby server externally via https and cloudflare as my DNS.

I can access without any issues emby locally and remotely but cannot connect via apple tv remotely.

With direct server address https I get a connection failure on apple tv but works fine via browser

With emby connect on the apple tv, I can see my server but still get a connection failure.

With the remote connection, it works via Android devices, or iPhone 'safari' but not via apple tv.

I have two users, different locations with same scenario.

I have uninstalled and restalled emby app on apple tv to latest version (multiple times)

It worked previously before I moved to pfsense router.

Emby server is on latest 4.6.2

Any advice on next steps from here.

Hi there, what kind of certificate are you using? The apple tv app doesn't have any kind of certificate override at this point, so if you're using https, then you need to be using an SSL certificate that Apple devices trust out of the box.

nathanborysiewicz

I'm using let's encrypt that issued via acme certificates in pfsense, then using them in haproxy.

nathanborysiewicz

I worked it out 

Needed to add another rule to my haproxy front end that has the port number.

Turns out tv os passes the port number in the header, and no one else does that when it's 443.

• 2 months later...
videoBliss
On 6/11/2021 at 7:29 AM, nathanborysiewicz said:

I worked it out 

Needed to add another rule to my haproxy front end that has the port number.

Turns out tv os passes the port number in the header, and no one else does that when it's 443.

Can you tell me what your problem was?  I'm having a similar issue where I can connect fine using Android TV and Roku but not with Apple TV using HAProxy on pfSense.

nathanborysiewicz

@videoBliss I added :443 to the emby front end rule within haproxy.

I'm not using pfsense anymore to get you a screen shot, but it's where the direct Match or the url is, that you add another rule with :443 at the end so it will match with apple tv

Edited by nathanborysiewicz

videoBliss
56 minutes ago, nathanborysiewicz said:

@videoBliss I added :443 to the emby front end rule within haproxy.

I'm not using pfsense anymore to get you a screen shot, but it's where the direct Match or the url is, that you add another rule with :443 at the end so it will match with apple tv

Thanks!  I made the change and will have my friend test it.

videoBliss

It looks like adding the :443 did fix it for Apple TV.  I left the original settings as well since those worked with everything else.

Here's my working settings.

Thanks again!

pfSense.thumb.png.cb106dbb70106cfcd819399e7086b723.png 

• 2 years later...