Premium stuttering the same as basic - unusable

rsperson

rsperson

I use the SAME computer server and client - Emby stutters and is unusable - Plex with the SAME files SAME server locations SAME windows client and PLEX is fine.  Since all query show no answer - can I get ONE reason why I would CONSIDER Emby over Plex.  I really like how Emby looks and the live TV with HD Homerun looks superior,  It sems that Plex is taking a different direction that I am not pleased with.  With stuttering playback - Emby is a non-starter

rsperson

I have logs from today - started file at 7:30 eastern (for logs)  Stuttering - I created a converted version and played that one - still stuttering - no information on how to grab linux logs from the web interface. I used the Windows application to perform the playback.  I hope its juts settings that I need to tweak to get this to work - Plex is and has been flawless for YEARS, - No stuttering at all - I expected this app to work as well but as of now it isn't even close.  These are the 3 linux log files from /var/lib/emby/logs

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-directstream-acd5c71d-8947-4acd-80a9-d776f4c773cf_1.txt hardware_detection-63758701577.txt

Hi, please try lowering the in-app quality setting and see if that helps. Thanks.

rsperson

I am not sure where you want me to make this change - is it a server side setting?  Is it in the Windows app? 

In Windows/client app is already lowered to 2 Mbps for Internet quality

home network quality 4k-120 Mbpps

internet quality 4k-120 Mbps

not sure where the server changes are needed

Thanks

Edited by rsperson

It would be in the app that you're playing from. Click on your user icon in the top right and select playback settings.

rsperson

OK - that is where I listed the info from - which ones need to be changed and to what -

Thanks

rsperson

In Windows/client

Audio:

Internet quality 2 Mbps

Video

home network quality 4k-120 Mbpps

internet quality 4k-120 Mbps

mastrmind11
17 hours ago, rsperson said:

If I set these to "auto" - can I view what it is actually using?

no, but this has been out there for 3 years .... 

try lowering your home network setting to something like 40Mbps and see if that gets your somewhere.

rsperson

4k - 40?  Tried auto for everything as a low point to start - still buffering - stuttering 5sec then 1/2 pause 5 sec play 1/2 sec pause over and over - this is with the Windows app - maybe the browser would be better - and YES for the strangest reason  the browser is MUCH better - only 1 pause where I have 5 with the actual app. Additional information - retryed Emby Theater again and it still stutters - so I removed it completely - Wend and downloaded the Windows 10 store version and installed it - it works better then even the browser - not sure if it really is different but it seemed to play well - reasonable playback - equal to plex at the moment.  My server is across town - but could be anywhere - Ubuntu based - proper install with removal of questionable install based off bad information.  We are talking Xfinity (client) Frontier (server) and better theoretical speeds provisioned and tested for Xfinity by more then tripple 25 vs 80 - but Frontieer STILL works better

more testing is needed

Edited by rsperson

Hi, it might just be a matter of lowering the in-app quality setting. That is usually the most common cause of stuttering, that the bitrate is just too high for the connection.

rsperson

Did MORE testing.  The web interface seems MUCH better then the Windows app - Windows 10 with all patches.  The windows app seems very poor with stuttering too much to be usable with ANY settings.  I finally just removed it and did some cleanup. 

The final was that I installed the Windows 10 app through the Windows store and its works VERY WELL.  I think its the same app - I just installed it as default and it works well.

I am just wondering if its the same app or HOW it installs with the app store make it work different.  summary: of the 3 ways - Windows install is the worse of the 3 - completely unusable with all settings set down/ up and in between.  The use with the browser/Chrome is Much better - some pauses - not quite usable but might be with some more tweaks, different browser etc . The 3rd and FAR better was the Windows 10 app store install.  If the app store didn't fare as well, I would be trying Firefox since chrome is such a memory hog - and other non-chrome based options

Thanks

XcOM9876

Can be useful to check the nerd stats, I have mine set to a max of 80MBits due to network limitations on my virtual machines sharing the same NIC, any higher and I find it can sometimes have issues, can't comment on the application client as I just use the web browser or client specific apps (Fire TV, Android) due to it just working and the interface being quite good unless you want to use a remote.

I think the Windows Store app might be different, I think they tend to pass Microsoft Validation and use Windows App Framework rather than plain x86_64 codebase (I may be wrong and chatting pure rubbish here but this is my experience from developing software in .net)

Nerd Stats could indicate why there is some stuttering, maybe there is a transcode going on for some reason which shouldn't be? I've come across a couple of films which for some reason want to transcode due to "Direct Play Error" which is on the client end rather than the server side and they are all 4K films which I believe the bitrate is too high for the client to cope with.