Accessing Emby over a 4G Router via a VPN

apefray

apefray

Hope somebody can help with this, as its driving me nuts.

My internet is supplied through a 4G router, which I have an unraid server running Emby in a Docker behind. Everything works as it should on the LAN but the WAN is a different story, so I couldn't connect to Emby out and about. This turned out to be the ISP using CGNAT on the connection which I understand, so to get round this I have setup a VPN Docker, and run Emby through this docker connection. Im using Windscribe for the VPN connection, using a Static IP Address and port forwarding.

Now here comes the fun part and I just cant figure it out.........

If I try to open Emby in another location, which is using a standard broadband connection, then Emby fails to load properly, if at all. If it does present the login screen, and I enter my credentials, it then just sits at the login screen and never logins in. Emby shows that it has a connection through the Dashboard, but never actually completes the login...... And now for the strange part, bearing in mind Emby is using a VPN connection through an app in unraid. If I try the same server connection details using a mobile phone and a 4G connection, it all works exactly as it should, switch back a computer using a standard broadband connection, and it again fails to load Emby.

As to why it works using a 4G connection whilst away from home, but fails to work using standard broadband I am at a loss...... Anyone have any ideas????

The only thing that correlates, is that my home router is a 4G router, and emby works using a 4G mobile phone whilst away from home, but this doesn't make sense, as if Emby works through the VPN using 4G, then surely it should work using standard broadband 😕

Update: After a bit more digging, if I connect a laptop to my personal hotspot on my mobile phone, everything works as it should. I know this is a 4G connection again, but it proves that the app on my android phone and web access do work, just over 4G not standard broadband

Edited by apefray
Update