RPi / Openelec

steve1977

steve1977

Wanted to ask whether anyone is using RPI/Openelec and can share experience how this works. Speed is probably an issue, but curious whether it is at all doable. Particularly teh question given my library is quite huge with thousands of movies.

Also, what skins are you using on RPI/Openelec and which of these skins best supports MBS? Probably the ligher skins like Conq or Amber may be ideal, but not sure whether they have sufficient support yet?

Sarithz

I just loaded up Openelec and am in the process of trying it out.  So far, I haven't been thrilled with the results.  I have 3 SD cards and am trying the Openelec, Raspxbmc, and Rasplex to see which comes out on top.

Spaceboy

From my experience I think it'll be unlikely you'll be satisfied with the speed. Function is fine but for me it only works as a play to device due to slowness

Sarithz

Well, after trying every distro I can get my hands on, I think you are spot on.  The XBMC addon is just horrible.  My Pi keeps locking up whenever it is even trying to enumerate the files.  XBMC isn't too bad, and I can add the same network shares Mediabrowser Theater is serving uo and play them, but you lose all the watched flags, etc.  I am trying Xbian before throwing in the towel, but not sure this is doable.

Goodness, I love my Rokus <G>!

xnappo

Yeah, Pi for XBMB3C is no non-starter unfortunately.

Amazon Fire TV is probably the best cheap solution right now (you can side-load XBMC).

An Intel NUC is the best small box IMHO.

xnappo

[EDIT] Make sure you have 'People' and 'Overview' turned off in the 'Metadata' section.  Most skins don't need that data pre-loaded any more and it will help a bit with speed.

[EDIT2] I am curious how good/bad the skin 'Equilibrium' works.  With that skins you can almost use the Widgets exclusively, and they background load...

Edited by xnappo

dark_slayer

[EDIT] Make sure you have 'People' and 'Overview' turned off in the 'Metadata' section.  Most skins don't need that data pre-loaded any more and it will help a bit with speed.

I can't remember if those are default on or off, seems like it should be off if not

Also, I'm contemplating either the Fire or Roku for my sister and nieces to use at their house. I'm leaning towards the fire running xbmb3c since it can do airplay and probably retroarch whenever retroplayer comes into fruition, but I'm not sure about running it externally . . . I'm testing that myself with mixed results, but I could pare down my library for their user account and I think it would well

xnappo

We will be changing that default soon.  

I just got a Roku for better Netflix/TWC/Amazon access due to this nightmare: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/9673-the-weirdest-thing-happened-while-on-vacation/

I think Fire is better but involves more hacking to get running.  I wasn't in the mood :(

xnappo

steve1977

The Conq skin for XBMC is very light and has the best results so far for me. I have not dared to try the XBMC3C addon yet, but will give it a try.

The reason why I prefer the RPi over Fire or even fully powered HTPCs is threefold: 1) CEC allows me to use my TV remote without any additional tool or hassel, 2) allows to trigger any 3D television directly into 3D mode, 3) no need for a PSU as I can just attach it to the USB port of my television.

Nothing beats that.

Any hope to see XBMC3C working on it? Or even anything better than that? I remember that Plex has its own openelec client for the rpi?

xnappo

Only hope for Pi is someone releasing a faster Python library. Like I said though, give Equlibruum a shot.

xnappo

The Plex has a lot less data.  I started from that script, so it is not fundamentally different.

Try turning off all the media info.  And yes, like I said, Equilibrium is a Widget based skin, and the widgets background load so it might be more usable.

xnappo

dark_slayer

I believe plex just populates a plugin path, title, and poster -- which is why I never used it :)

I use CEC on my intel OE htpc, but I had to buy the pulse-eight cec adapter. I wish it was a little cheaper

RPi definitely got that part right (CEC) but so many things just shy of being nice with the SoC they chose (low ram, weak cpu) - and they couldn't give it a decent update. I never understood as the majority of people I know that have one use it with xbmc, but it doesn't work with a bunch of xbmc tasks unless you use really basic skins. Lots of android devices could already do that with Plex, so it's existence just became one of those unfortunate hardware-in-search-of-software devices like netbooks were in 2008

xnappo

Right.. If you look at the equivalent functions in PleXBMC you will see they pretty much just add the media name and the thumbnail.  If someone wanted to, they could strip back XBMB3C to that and it would be fast.  But it is plenty fast on just about any other platform and I personally have no interest in pursuing that.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

w84no1

I use reFocus as the skin on my PIs.  I like the EPG and it is quick enough for the kids.  A stripped down version for the PI would awesome.  I don't use the PI in the living room or the theater, just in the kids bedrooms and in the play room.

• 3 weeks later...