4.6.x - Live TV Transcoding despite supported codecs

unisoft

unisoft

I am pretty 99.9% sure this happened from 4.6.x but could have been in a 4.5.x.

Basically, on the LG app, it now transcodes RECORDED LIVE TV (UK PAL 50hz) content saying the audio codec is not compatible when it is. Historically recorded tv was always direct play.

The audio codec is simply AAC as reported also on Emby's detail panel and the video is unchanged at H264 Level 4 5mbps on average.

On the Android app when viewing LIVE TV, I now get random "Direct Play Error" and then transcoding. The Wifi for Android is 5GHZ (Asus RT-AX86U router with Merlin firmware) and in CLEAN environment with no other WIFI signals from anywhere else affecting (or radar). It should just direct play as it always has done. Sometimes it will direct play, but if I change to another tv channel, the direct play error comes up and a transcode happens sometimes with pop up "no compatible streams found"

The only thing changed is upgrade of emby server and emby client. It's always been direct play, even over a WAN connection!

HDHomeRun HD Quad tuner firmware version is:  20210501beta1and the device presents the original stream for recording not a transcoded one.

Edited by unisoft

Hi there, did you explore the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

unisoft
19 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, did you explore the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

Yep, I gave the reason it Emby stats said "audio codec is not compatible" on LG Emby app when it is AAC and always has been. The LG player 100% supports that.

For Android Live TV - it simply said "Direct Play Error" usually when changing to another channel, though its does do direct play on the SD channels all the time. It seems to be the HD channels even though no broadcast codec has changed on those streams. This is what gives pop up "no compatible streams found".  Other times, its perfectly fine, so wonder if its a broadcaster flag then or extra Audio description channel (think this is AAC HE) with the programme? I'll try and dig further on the android one.

Yep, I gave the reason it Emby stats said "audio codec is not compatible" on LG Emby app when it is AAC and always has been. The LG player 100% supports that.

ffmpeg log example?