Synology VS Windows comparison help

silver_2000

silver_2000

Our server was created by my wife and hosted on windows for years.  A few years ago when we needed more space we bought a synology and have moved Emby to the Synology.   We are having trouble keeping emby running and accessible on the Synology.   We find emby not running, or not responsive, or we find that we can only see the media on that synology and not the media on the second synology.   

Alll these issues have prompted my wife to want to move back to running it on Windows.  We have an older HP ProLiant micro server gen 8 we could use.  Since Im relatively new to Emby ( 3 or 4 years )  Can some folks here help me with a comparison of the advantages of running Emby on Windows VS Emby on Synology.  Also what is the process if we decide to move emby ?   

I started a different thread to try to understand our current issues and see if they can be resolved.  Im not sure if our issues are common with synology or if we ( I ) set something up wrong

Thanks in advance 

FrostByte

Emby server runs about the same on Synology OS or Windows OS per say.  Having Emby server on my NAS separated from my main Windows machine was the main benefit for me.  I only need one machine running

Are you wanting to run Windows on your micro server and then your files would still be located on your Synology NAS or are they on the microserver also?  If you need the space why not expand your 918+.  You can have files on multiple machines, but it would make it easier to have it all on one

The main benefit of having Emby server on your NAS is probably that the server and your media are located together which can help in accessing files and speed.  Having everything on one box means less power and you can make it sleep or power off when not using Emby if you wish. 

Disadvantages will be the power of the cpu/gpu when transcoding.  Does your microserver have a gpu?  Even the gpu in the 918+ isn't meant to transcode 4K to 4K.  The newer 2020/21 Synology NAS gpus are 4K though.  A highpowered Windows machine will still transcode faster than your 918+

I'm happy with my Synology running Emby server.  I have 8 12/14tb drives in my NAS though.  Everything just works, but I also don't transcode anything.  Between my Samsung and nVidia Shield and sound system everything direct plays

I'll look for your other thread

silver_2000

thanks for replies 

My wife started the server before we met.  She claims that she didnt have issues with the server stopping on its own on windows 

We dont need more space, we are just looking to make the experience more reliable 

We have seen emby stop on the synology.  We also have seen where the emby service is running but the clients are not able to access media.  Its been an ongoing issue for many months and many emby versions.    In the other thread we were told to remove some plugns whch we did but the server stopped again today.  Checking that thread now