4.6.2.0 kills my playlists

Painkiller8818
Go to solution Solved by Painkiller8818,

The one you posted earlier was pretty small and would work.

I'd just cut and paste if possible as I think your paths were relative.

BTW, you can just copy one of the m3u8 files out of the lib, remove all but 5 to 10 entries and edit those.  Then rename the playlist and put it back.

This way you don't alter the original but create a new playlist that's short enough to be easy to edit. :)
Being a new playlist you could just scan the library and it should get picked up as well.

Wavecrest

Okay, that worked, thank you. The copy playlist is populated by the 4 songs that I left in there and appended the full file path to.

However this still doesn't seem like a viable path for me. I'd really prefer not to manually edit thousands of individual playlist entries.

Also, I went and found backups from a month or two ago of each of these playlist files. Emby was playing them fine back then. Here's one from April 7, you'll see that it does not contain the entire file path for any of the individual files. Speaking.m3u8

It seems pretty evident here that something changed in Emby.

Edited by Wavecrest
clarity

OK so that was just one test to make sure the playlist is fine besides the full path.

Now my next question is about the relative path as shown in your m3u8 files.
From the actual location on disc where the m3u8 file resides do the paths look correct?

@Luke Shouldn't playlists import correctly using relative paths from the location of the m3u8 file?

@Wavecrest could we do a remote support session so I could get a better look at the folder structure for these playlists and get a look at the folder structure?

Should only take a few minutes. If so I can send you a PM with some instructions for us doing this.

Wavecrest

I'd be happy to but am not home at the moment. Go ahead and PM me with some other times you're available and hopefully we can schedule something. I'm on eastern time in the U.S.

Wavecrest

Update: @cayars was able to solve my issue by making a minor edit to my playlist files, which I gather were tagged incorrectly. For reference, I'm attaching the newly edited copy of one of the playlists I posted earlier in this thread. I believe the only difference was to append ".\" to the beginning of the first track listing. After that, and refreshing libraries, the tracks magically reappeared.

Pineal.m3u8

Thanks again to @cayars and all the rest of the terrific Emby support staff.

• Thanks 1

ich777

I'm experiencing the same problem, did already the Metadata refresh but that doesn't solved the issue.

Also now I got 3 different playlists instead of just one like before, didn't noticed it until now...

grafik.png.e282e2ec45ba3ff5bd4015d865584536.png

The last one is actually the correct one but there are no tracks showing up, if I click on play I see a spinning circle and after a while a Playback Error message:

grafik.thumb.png.b5332a578ba7a7a8124e652abf922c3d.png

Is there a playlist files somewhere physically saved or is everything stored in the database?

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I'm experiencing the same problem, did already the Metadata refresh but that doesn't solved the issue.

Also now I got 3 different playlists instead of just one like before, didn't noticed it until now...

grafik.png.e282e2ec45ba3ff5bd4015d865584536.png

The last one is actually the correct one but there are no tracks showing up, if I click on play I see a spinning circle and after a while a Playback Error message:

grafik.thumb.png.b5332a578ba7a7a8124e652abf922c3d.png

Is there a playlist files somewhere physically saved or is everything stored in the database?

It you made the playlist in Emby there are in \Emby-Server\programdata\data\playlists (path is relavent to platform, Dashboard will show general locatio), but if these are m3u playlists Emby is reading this they could be anywhere in your library.  If you select Edit Metadata on the playlist is should show you its path.

• Like 1

ich777

This Playlists where created directly in Emby.

I think I read the post wrong since I've refreshed the Metadata for my Music library and not from my Playlists. When I click on the Playlist and refresh the Metadata for it it fixed it.

Thank you!

Nisten

I'm having this problem too, "Playlists" subsection is gone from "Music" section. I've tried the metadata refresh but no change. 

The playlists I've created through the GUI are still present in the following path

\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\data\playlists

1610913712_PlaylistsMenuMissing.thumb.PNG.1eca8932bb3356c227a6d8d03b4e5cbe.PNG

Edited by Nisten

38 minutes ago, Nisten said:

I'm having this problem too, "Playlists" subsection is gone from "Music" section. I've tried the metadata refresh but no change. 

The playlists I've created through the GUI are still present in the following path

\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\data\playlists

1610913712_PlaylistsMenuMissing.thumb.PNG.1eca8932bb3356c227a6d8d03b4e5cbe.PNG

Can you be specific for what playlists aren't working?

Nisten
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

Can you be specific for what playlists aren't working?

Per my screenshot, there used to be a "Playlist" option in the menu bar but now its not. The entire section is gone, as well as all 38 playlists that used to be nested in the section

The Playlist tab will only show up if there are active playlists for music.

Nisten
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

The Playlist tab will only show up if there are active playlists for music.

All 38 playlists were there prior to the update; now they're gone and so is the playlist section

Nisten

2 minutes ago, cayars said:

Do you have a backup of the playlist xml files?

Yeah the original playlist files in the aforementioned path, from when I first created them via the GUI, are still there

Edited by Nisten

Do these playlists show up if you go to the playlist library option on the home page?

Nisten
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

Do these playlists show up if you go to the playlist library option on the home page?

Yes & no, they show but when I go into the details of any playlist ... they're all empty but they still have they playlist length/duration and associated album images

Edited by Nisten

Nisten
On 6/9/2021 at 3:52 PM, ich777 said:

This Playlists where created directly in Emby.

I think I read the post wrong since I've refreshed the Metadata for my Music library and not from my Playlists. When I click on the Playlist and refresh the Metadata for it it fixed it.

Thank you!

I did the same thing. The (initial) highlighted solution makes it seem like you should refresh metadata on the "Music" library but its actually the "Playlist" library where you should refresh the metadata. Now my tracks are back in their respective playlists and the playlist menu shortcut is back in the "Music" library. Also now the playlists in my "Favorites" on the home screen work and are no longer empty

Playlist Music Menu Shortcut is Back.PNG

Edited by Nisten
  • Agree 1