common server log submission mechanism

justinrh

justinrh

Some client apps having a logging system and can send logs to you (Emby devs, that is), then the user goes to this forum and tells you some identifying info so you can find the logs.  That is awesome.  So, why doesn't Emby have a common (among clients and server) mechanism for sending logs for support, since they are often requested?  The mechanism could assign a unique ID (maybe an easy 6 characters?) and show it to the user so the user can advertise it on the forum.  It could also ask for which logs (all or just certain ones).

I'd think this would make it easier for you and the user to resolve issues.  A downside would be that other users wouldn't have access and possibly offer assistance like when the logs are attached to the post.

Happy2Play

True it would create a lot less support and flood a few with endless logs.  But all devices that have this internal send option do to the fact users do not have access log info either.  

justinrh

I think I can interpret what you said...

Okay, then put a control on it (at least for Emby Server).  You give the user an ID and he has to enter this valid ID before hitting 'send'.

Otherwise, can you delete my post?

So, why doesn't Emby have a common (among clients and server) mechanism for sending logs for support, since they are often requested?

Hi, simply because we haven't built it yet, but I agree that it would be a good idea.

• Thanks 1