How to play entire album

JimB66
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

JimB66

Hello,

I normally use Emby & Roku app to watch video, but over the weekend wanted to also listen to music. However, I couldn't find an easy way to play a whole album and the method I thought should work generated a playback error. Did a search but didn't see anything that seemed to address my issue (which I may have overlooked).

I selected and entered the album I wanted, and there were all the album tracks. On the right side was a "Play" icon, but when selected I get a "Playback Error" pop-up with no other info, just an "OK" button. Same thing happens if I'm in the album view and press the "Play" button on my Roku remote - "Playback Error". I can play individual tracks, and can create a "queue" of the album tracks which then plays, but that seems a roundabout way to just play all tracks in an album <shrug>.

Emby Server: Version 4.6.2.0

Emby Roku app: Version 4.0 - build 28

Any help or insight - or pointers to threads where this was already resolved 🙂 - are appreciated.

Jim

Hi.  Both of those are working fine in my testing.  Do these albums play from the web app?  Has your music completed its full scan since upgrading to 4.6.1?

If you press PLAY on your remote on the album/folder itself (on the row or grid) before opening does it play? Don't open to the songs. Press the play button on your remote control while directly focused on the album/folder itself. Can you press PLAY on your music library icon in my media and play any music (it will be shuffling through your entire library)?

Have you not completed a new library scan yet and those albums are new?

You need to let the library scan run until complete before we can be sure this is a failure of the application. When the application cannot read the mediastream details within the universal play request it does not understand what it is being told to do. It was told to play an item that has no streams to play. It has to tell the user and stop doing anything.

Edited by speechles

JimB66

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, the albums play fine from the web app. They are not new, they've been on the server for a few years. I don't know if a full scan is completed or not - how would I check? Alternatively, should I run a scan manually, to see if that fixes the issue?

Pressing "Play" on my Roku remote generates the "Playback Error" when I'm focused on the album/folder itself (one level up from where the songs are). Pressing "Play" on my remote when focused on the music library icon in My Media does nothing. I hear the sound of the button being pressed, but no music and no message.

16 hours ago, JimB66 said:

Pressing "Play" on my Roku remote generates the "Playback Error" when I'm focused on the album/folder itself

Can you please send a log from the app right after doing that?

JimB66
On 6/2/2021 at 7:02 AM, ebr said:

Can you please send a log from the app right after doing that?

Sorry for the delay, work got in the way.

I followed the instructions at that link, but I didn't get a "Send Log" option anywhere that I could see. I did exit and re-enter that app as mentioned after turning on debugging, but no "Send Log" option - the only option under my user name is "Sign Out".

Let me know what's next.

Thanks.

JimB66
43 minutes ago, JimB66 said:

Sorry for the delay, work got in the way.

I followed the instructions at that link, but I didn't get a "Send Log" option anywhere that I could see. I did exit and re-enter that app as mentioned after turning on debugging, but no "Send Log" option - the only option under my user name is "Sign Out".

Let me know what's next.

Thanks.

OK, went through the procedure again, and the "Send Log" showed up (it's been that kind of day).

- Went to Music, located an album and tried to play it using the Roku remote play button: New Order - Substance Disc 1. Got the mentioned "Playback Error" message, then back to home screen to send the log.

- Sent at 10:00PM ET (7:00PM PT).

- User is "Jim".

Thanks!

13 hours ago, JimB66 said:

Went to Music, located an album

Exactly how did you locate an album?  Did you have multiple tabs at the top of the Music view for Albums, Artists, Album Artists, etc.?

JimB66
47 minutes ago, ebr said:

Exactly how did you locate an album?  Did you have multiple tabs at the top of the Music view for Albums, Artists, Album Artists, etc.?

No, I don't. Not in the Roku app.

When I select "Music" on the Home page, I get an Artist view. A grid of artist pictures with a folder icon superimposed, and alphabet down the left hand side.

So I moved my cursor over to the left, went down to "N" and selected it. That jumped me down the picture grid to the "N" artists where I selected and entered "New Order". This gave me a grid of albums by NO, I focused on the album and pressed the play button on my remote. Got the playback error.

BTW, I didn't think to mentioned it since I was mainly concerned with the app, but the server is running as a docker on my unRAID NAS. I don't know if that would be a part of the issue, I haven't experienced any other issues. But Luke asking for the server log made me think of it.

Thanks.

Okay, so this library does not actually appear to be a "Music" library as it sounds like you are just folder browsing.  Can you please confirm exactly how the library is configured in the server setup and what its media type is? 

JimB66
26 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, so this library does not actually appear to be a "Music" library as it sounds like you are just folder browsing.  Can you please confirm exactly how the library is configured in the server setup and what its media type is? 

OK, I think so.

Huh, looks like it's shown as "Mixed Content" - from the Library section under Server in the webGUI. I'm guessing that would be the issue? On the server, there's the "Music" directory and under it are all the Artist folders, but there are a couple of folders that have other media (jpgs, txt files, etc) as well. I'm guessing removing anything that's NOT an mp3 would help fix the issue?

Let me know, and thanks.

image.png.09fd1734aeec15ec17a7edf9ad280749.png

JimB66

Just to follow-up a bit on this - finally done with work and have enjoyed an "adult beverage". 🙂 I had time to look at: Music Naming - it was good to review, I've had the music on the server for several years now.

I do have my Music collection organized in the preferred Artist\Album\Song method. There are jpgs in many folders, but some may not follow the supported filenames. I can review that and make corrections. Also, as mentioned there are other file types in among the folders (txt, html, etc).

So, I suspect my tasks are two:

1. Make sure all image files use supported file names

2. Remove all files that are not mp3 and jpg

If I do that - do I need to rescan afterwards? - then I should have the correct media type and then get the correct playback operation?

Let me know if I'm on the right track.

Cheers.

auujay

I noticed this issue recently on my server as well and decided to finally take a look at fixing it this evening.

I think I had the same thing happen to me with the 4.6 update. I have had this same music library in Emby for years, it is organized by iTunes so it follows iTune's library structure (artist\album). The recent update seemed to really bork it and when I checked the library config, it was also set to Mixed content just as your is.

I am considering if I should re-create it as  "music" library to resolve it...

9 hours ago, auujay said:

I am considering if I should re-create it as  "music" library to resolve it...

Hi.  Yes, that is the problem for both of you.  @cayars may be able to help you make that change without having to completely re-do the library.

• Solution

Shutdown Emby Server. Do not do any part of this with Emby Server running.

Your library info will be stored in a path similar to this on Windows. Change the bolded text to be the username Emby runs under.
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\root\default. If you need help locating this path on another platform ask.

You will see a folder for each Library on your system.  Here is an example:
image.png.df127b07a141ca51f5879993c837561d.png

To change the content type for a particular library enter the folder and you will find a file called options.xml (copy it to have as a backup, just in case).

Open options.xml in a text editor.

Scroll down until you find "ContentType".

If you wanted to change the content type to a Music library the line should be

<ContentType>music</ContentType>

After changing the content type, save the file and restart Emby Server.

Note: if the content line is missing, you can add it but take care in doing so.

Valid Content Types

Audio books
<ContentType>audiobooks</ContentType>

Camera Uploads
<ContentType>homevideos</ContentType>

Collections
<ContentType>boxsets</ContentType>

Home videos & photos
<ContentType>homevideos</ContentType>

Movies
<ContentType>movies</ContentType>

Music
<ContentType>music</ContentType>

Music Videos
<ContentType>musicvideos</ContentType>

Playlists
<ContentType>playlists</ContentType>

TV shows
<ContentType>tvshows</ContentType>

• Like 2

JimB66

Great! Thanks ebr and cayars - that seems a lot easier than what I had suggested I needed to do. 🙂

It worked! Nice. FYI, the content line was missing from the xml, as it also is from the options file for my Video category, which also shows "Mixed Content". These were the original categories from years ago. I have a more recent category, "Playlists", in which the content line is present. Was that something added in an update at some point? (Just curious, I'm a hardware engineer so finding root-cause is a thing I sometimes do. :-))

Thanks again everybody.

Edited by JimB66
Fixed typo.

• 8 months later...
landernd

Hi,

I didn't know how happy I was using beta version on Roku. Now that is gone i can't play an album,it just doesn't play. Also some folders show empty.

All this work fine on my desktop and iphone.

22 minutes ago, landernd said:

Hi,

I didn't know how happy I was using beta version on Roku. Now that is gone i can't play an album,it just doesn't play. Also some folders show empty.

All this work fine on my desktop and iphone.

Hi.  Please start a new thread with details of whatever problem you are having.  The current release is the same as the last beta.

• 3 months later...
buzzlightner

I'm having the same issue as this thread, except my library content type is set to "Music".  I am using the 'folder' view to find my album. When I have navigated to the folder I want to play and I can see all the tracks, if I click on the 'play all' icon on the right side of the screen I get the same "playback error - OK" message mentioned in this thread. Clicking on each track plays fine - but just the one track.  Pressing play on the folder icon from the previous screen will also pay the entire album.  This only happens on my RokuTV - not on the web app.  The web app works as expected.  Today I updated to latest Roku app and also the latest server version - didn't fix the issue.  I'm running emby in a docker container. The folders are all structured as Artist/Album/Track and folders will contain normally mp3 files and a folder.jpg. Happens on every single folder I've attempted to play so far including from the Album list (before drilling down to the tracks).

Thanks for Emby.

Happy2Play
47 minutes ago, buzzlightner said:

I'm having the same issue as this thread, except my library content type is set to "Music".  I am using the 'folder' view to find my album. When I have navigated to the folder I want to play and I can see all the tracks, if I click on the 'play all' icon on the right side of the screen I get the same "playback error - OK" message mentioned in this thread. Clicking on each track plays fine - but just the one track.  Pressing play on the folder icon from the previous screen will also pay the entire album.  This only happens on my RokuTV - not on the web app.  The web app works as expected.  Today I updated to latest Roku app and also the latest server version - didn't fix the issue.  I'm running emby in a docker container. The folders are all structured as Artist/Album/Track and folders will contain normally mp3 files and a folder.jpg. Happens on every single folder I've attempted to play so far including from the Album list (before drilling down to the tracks).

Thanks for Emby.

I see the same from within Folder view 

But yes the workaround currently is click play on album folder.

Edited by Happy2Play

We should have something soon to account for this problem. It was an oversight. Apologies. ;)