Sony Android TV. Is the playback 4k or is it 1080p ?

ernie3000

ernie3000

Hi i am streaming a 4k hevc remux from my nas.  I am confused cause the nerd info shows direct play but the display modus shows 1080p ?  is emby transcoding or direct playing the 4k file ?

IMG_4620.JPG

IMG_4621.JPG

Hi.  The Sony TVs report the display mode of the UI not the video.  We removed this from stats for nerds so it wouldn't be confusing but I guess we need to remove it from the menu too.  There are no other options to select in that sub-menu, correct?

justinrh
4 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  The Sony TVs report the display mode of the UI not the video.  We removed this from stats for nerds so it wouldn't be confusing but I guess we need to remove it from the menu too.  There are no other options to select in that sub-menu, correct?

@ebr Can you clarify what was removed from the stats?

2 hours ago, justinrh said:

Can you clarify what was removed from the stats?

The display mode being reported because it is potentially incorrect on everything except the Shield.

justinrh
2 hours ago, ebr said:

The display mode being reported because it is potentially incorrect on everything except the Shield.

So how does the user know the display mode?  Just by using the resolution of the video?  I know the Shield can use AI upscaling, so media resolution in this case could not match actual.

Maybe Emby is thinking it is not responsible to supply display mode? 😉

pünktchen
1 hour ago, justinrh said:

So how does the user know the display mode?

The user knows what he has bought, what the display resolution of his tv is. And that's it. Those Android tv's only support resolution or framerate switching on their hdmi inputs! The videos of all Android apps, be it Emby, Netflix or Youtube are always played back at the native resolution and framerate of the display. So everthing that is lower than the native display resolution will be upscaled by the tv! It's not that difficult to understand.

And because of all this it makes sense to hide the display mode of the graphical user interface of Android in Emby, because that's not the display mode the videos are played back.

• Like 2

justinrh

Oh, sorry for being ignorant.  My TV supports multiple resolutions and is not at a fixed value; it dynamically changes depending on the media being displayed and the app.  Maybe the Shield/Android always uses the highest supported resolution, but then that is only Android?  Maybe other devices/systems don't do that - I don't know.  I was asking a general question.

Please, learn me some more.

Hi.  It is very confusing on these TVs with Android built in because, even though they support multiple resolutions and refresh rates, they don't expose that to the internal Android apps.  Worse than that, they report a static value as the display resolution that may not actually match what you see in video.

So, on these devices, we just have to hide all the information about the display resolution because it is too likely to be inaccurate.

• Thanks 1

Deathsquirrel
On 6/1/2021 at 3:27 PM, justinrh said:

Oh, sorry for being ignorant.  My TV supports multiple resolutions and is not at a fixed value; it dynamically changes depending on the media being displayed and the app.  Maybe the Shield/Android always uses the highest supported resolution, but then that is only Android?  Maybe other devices/systems don't do that - I don't know.  I was asking a general question.

Please, learn me some more.

Assuming your TV isn't a CRT, it very definitely does not do this.  All flat panel TVs have a fixed number of pixels.  They have scaling chips built into them that automatically scale content to display on the number of pixels the TV has.  So if I send 1080P content to my 4K OLED set it can, to simplify things, just render four of every pixel in the signal so the data fills the whole screen instead of a quarter of it.

justinrh
17 hours ago, Deathsquirrel said:

Assuming your TV isn't a CRT, it very definitely does not do this.  All flat panel TVs have a fixed number of pixels.  They have scaling chips built into them that automatically scale content to display on the number of pixels the TV has.  So if I send 1080P content to my 4K OLED set it can, to simplify things, just render four of every pixel in the signal so the data fills the whole screen instead of a quarter of it.

Maybe I wasn't accurate with my wording.  Correct - the picture is always full-screen.  I can look at the TV's system info or just simple 'info' and it tells me the resolution.  Maybe that is just the incoming resolution.