proxmox not finding any movies and problems with special characters

NErdgOd56
Go to solution Solved by NErdgOd56,

NErdgOd56

i have proxmox set up with a desktop environment and a mdadm raid 0 array mounted at /Storage
emby is running as user 'neo' and everything inside /Storage/Media is 777 neo:neo

movie library is at /Storage/Media/Library/Movies -- nothing is found in emby at all
tv library at /Storage/Media/Library/TV -- most gets scanned but there are lots of errors involving characters like the ñ in the word Piñata among other characters, in the log they show up as a diamond with a question mark in them.

this has never happened to me on a linux distro before so im assuming its related to Proxmox (debian based),

attached is my embyserver.txt log after enabling debug logging, restarting the emby server, and removing and re-adding the movies library

to be clear, this is not in a vm or LXC container, its on the proxmox host OS itself.

embyserver.txt

NErdgOd56
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, what errors?

sorry, theyre in the log 
heres an example:

*** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.6.1.0
    Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb
    Operating system: Linux version 5.4.114-1-pve (build@proxmox) (gcc version 8.3.0 (Debian 8.3.0-6)) #1 SMP PVE 5.4.114-1 (Sun, 09 May 2021 17:13:05 +0200)
    Framework: .NET Core 3.1.13
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: opt/emby-server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 4
    Data path: /var/lib/emby
    Application path: /opt/emby-server/system
    System.Exception: System.Exception: ffprobe failed for file:"/Storage/Media/Library/TV/Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D/Season 03/Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - S03E06 - Among Us Hide�.mkv" - streams and format are both null: 
    {

}

ffprobe version 4.3.0-emby_2021_02_27 Copyright (c) 2007-2021 the FFmpeg developers and softworkz for Emby LLC
      built with gcc 8.3.0 (crosstool-NG 1.24.0)
    file:/Storage/Media/Library/TV/Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D/Season 03/Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - S03E06 - Among Us Hide�.mkv: No such file or directory

at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Probing.MediaProbeManager.GetMediaInfoInternal(String inputPath, String primaryPath, MediaProtocol protocol, String userAgent, Boolean extractChapters, String probeSizeArgument, Boolean isAudio, Boolean forceEnableLogging, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at MediaBrowser.Providers.MediaInfo.FFProbeVideoInfo.ProbeVideo[T](MetadataResult`1 metadataResult, MetadataRefreshOptions options, LibraryOptions libraryOptions, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2.RunCustomProvider(ICustomMetadataProvider`1 provider, MetadataResult`1 itemResult, String logName, MetadataRefreshOptions options, LibraryOptions libraryOptions, RefreshResult refreshResult, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    Source: Emby.Server.MediaEncoding
    TargetSite: Void MoveNext()

NErdgOd56

I believe i may have found the problem. i finally took a peek at the actual filename on the server. and lo and behold i see those same diamonds with question marks IN THE FILENAME. caja says "(invalid encoding) on the folder and trying to set the encoding doesnt work, because its a folder I think?
idk, so i retraced my steps..
I've been migrating to linux and this most recent test setup is my first time using vsftpd to transfer my files rather than samba or a windows filezilla server. so i tried samba and an affected file copied correctly, I'm going to reformat and do the whole copy again using samba because of paranoia. its 3.8 TB and takes about 12 hrs, ill report back then. yay backups.

Edited by NErdgOd56

• Solution
NErdgOd56

redoing the transfer with samba worked; also, I found a setting in vsftpd.conf about UTF8 filesystems, uncommented it and transferred an affected folder, seemed to do the trick.

wish i could have found a way to just fix the encoding issue but emby seems to be working correctly and the issue was not related to proxmox as I previously assumed.