Remote access

Nuitarius

Nuitarius

Hi Emby,

Sorry for yet another person, whom is a little slow on this remote access thing.

I am no expert, but I do dabble, so I have spent some time now trying to portforward my way into this remote access deal with no luck.

Hopefully someone can give me some pointers?

I have a Synology DS416j NAS. Installed Emby server on it, and everything is working locally to my NVIDIA Shield, mobile and PC. It was easy job

I also made an Emby connect and attached it to my account on the emby server.

I then disabled wifi on my phone, opened the emby app and tried to login via emby connect, which gives me the menu where I can choose my NAS-MEdia or "Add Server".

When choosing NAS-Media it times out. When trying to add new server with public IP grabbed from the Emby dashboard it times out.

I have been into my router to portforward 8096 and 8920, but that does not help (Linksys EA7500). I also went into NAS and tried portforwarding from NAS but that does not work either as it expects a predefined router model or UPnP (which is activated in the router, but Synology says that it can't detect UPnP)

Any help is appreciated. Have not bought the premium package yet, but if the remote access works I will (I hope it works on trial basis, or is this my issue? 😕).

Nuitarius

Thanks.

I have tried it out

Here is copy of my port forwarding

image.png.f33ccf11d7110aabe034b9b36b215c8b.png

Now I testet the port. But I cant as my PC is not the one the ports have been forwarded to.

I tried to change the ports to be forwarded to my pc instead. I testet through the port testing website, but it says that the port is not working.

So it seems the port forwarding is not working. But why I do not know.

Edited by Nuitarius

Nuitarius

Okay. I have a suspicion.

I have my own router. This router has a WAN IP, but is hooked up to my ISP router (which is required for my internet to work, sadly). They said they have set it up as passthrough. But that router has its own WAN IP as the true public IP.

If this setup is an issue, is it possible to setup my system to get through anyways? Or am I screwed by my ISP. I have sadly no way of changing this as I have fiber connection and they are the only suppliers in my neighbourhood.

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, Nuitarius said:

I have my own router. This router has a WAN IP, but is hooked up to my ISP router (which is required for my internet to work, sadly). They said they have set it up as passthrough. But that router has its own WAN IP as the true public IP.

If this setup is an issue, is it possible to setup my system to get through anyways? Or am I screwed by my ISP. I have sadly no way of changing this as I have fiber connection and they are the only suppliers in my neighbourhood.

So your connection is ISP router-Personal router-Emby host?  Sounds like a double nat.  But still don't quite understand the configuration.

Nuitarius
28 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

So your connection is ISP router-Personal router-Emby host?  Sounds like a double nat.  But still don't quite understand the configuration.

@Happy2Play yes that is my setup. My ISP requires the router. If I set my router on the modem directly there is no internet. Must be something with them detecting that their equipment is in place.

And I do not have access to their router, hence me asking for a complete passthrough of their equipment so I do not have to have access to their equipment. But it might be more complex than that.

I have tried to play with NO-ip DDNS. My router says success with login in to my new ddns host address, but I still do not have a route from IPS IP to my emby server

kaj

@NuitariusHave you tried googling your router and ISP to see how to get access to the ISP supplied router? And then see if you can set port forwarding on that? The other problem might be that you have a Carrier Grade NAT (Carrier-grade NAT usually prevents the ISP customers from using port forwarding, because the network address translation (NAT) is usually implemented by mapping ports of the NAT devices in the network to other ports in the external interface). If so there is little you can do except ask your ISP for a static-IP.

On 30/05/2021 at 04:20, Nuitarius said:

Hi,

Double NATing can drive you mad :(

I'd first try to get through the first router (the ISP router if it's not carrier grade NAT) with port forwarding. You can test with something that you can try to access remotely. I find webcams (among other things) suitable for this, as they usually can be easily configured to access their web interface (over http or https). Make sure that you can access it locally first then connect the webcam (or whatever you have that has a web interface) on the ISP router. Forward the port to the webcam's IP address.
Test. If you don't have a domain name pointing to your IP address, you can try typing your public IP address in the browser followed by the configured port (remotely not on your LAN. You can use your cell phone data if you're at home). Type https://public-ip-address:port (or http if that's what you're using for the device you're testing with).

Once this works, change the forward to the 2nd router IP address (so first router forward pointes to the 2nd router IP address now) and move the camera to the second router and do the forward to it (on the 2nd router) and test.

If it works, change the forward (and the ports) on the 2nd router to be to the NAS' IP address. Change the port on the first router if needed.

I never used Emby connect for remote access so I can't comment on it.

BTW, enabling UPnP on your router is not recommended security wise.

Nuitarius

@kaj, @A32

Thanks for your suggestions. I will have a look into it. I have no way of access to ISP routee as it is locked for their perusal only.

so I will have to have a talk with them, or find other means of getting on-the-line.

i will update as soon as I know more.

thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
Nuitarius

So I solved my issues.

First: The ISP router is gone. They gave up and said they knew nothing about port forwarding and could not help me.

Second: I needed a static public IP address, as the one I had was a dynamic virtual IP.

Now port forwarding works.

Thanks for all the help

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Nuitarius said:

So I solved my issues.

First: The ISP router is gone. They gave up and said they knew nothing about port forwarding and could not help me.

Second: I needed a static public IP address, as the one I had was a dynamic virtual IP.

Now port forwarding works.

Thanks for all the help

Thanks for the feedback !

On 6/9/2021 at 1:27 PM, Nuitarius said:

Don't you love it?  An ISP that doesn't understand port forwarding.  Tisk Tisk. :)

Glad you got it worked out.

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

@Lukei dont know what country above question is but similar with me ... if its spain they are always shit when it comes on ISP anyone here that says can earn with a company provide people internet .... they have none understandings must be all configerd for child setup i open on their router even the ports and only 4 want to go on Public and stuck again on those is those are meant to used not for streaming cant use them grrr will answer on my topic

• Like 1