"Invalid username or password" until service restart

xarggrax
Go to solution Solved by xarggrax,

xarggrax

I've been having a sporadic issue for the last few days, three times now.  I go to log into my account (Android app on phone, Android TV app on TV, or browser on PC) and it says "Invalid username or password. Please try again".  I restart the Emby service and that fixes it.

• I've tried connecting using both local and Emby Connect users, same issue.
  • I've tried connecting both locally and remotely (disabling wifi on phone), same issue.
  • I have "Don't require a password on the local network" enabled for local users.
  • I've tried multiple local users.
  • I updated to version 4.6.1.0 recently (before this issue appeared), but otherwise haven't changed anything (aside from adding new media).
  • Accounts already logged in continue to work, but once they log out or switch servers, it doesn't work until the service is restarted.
  • It's likely unrelated, since I saw a reference to images not appearing in another post, but I have the same issue there, where some images don't appear.  I have images saved in the local folders, so I don't know why it'd be trying to connect to https://assets.fanart.tv/ to get them.  FYI, that site gives me a 500 error right now.  Restarting does not solve this.
  • I just now updated the OS and rebooted, just in case that has any impact.

Here's what I see in the log:

2021-05-29 07:52:33.539 Error UserManager: Error authenticating with provider Default
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.6.1.0
    Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb
    Operating system: Linux version 3.19.0-25-generic (buildd@lgw01-20) (gcc version 4.8.2 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1) ) #26~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 24 21:16:20 UTC 2015
    Framework: .NET Core 3.1.13
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: opt/emby-server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 4
    Data path: /var/lib/emby
    Application path: /opt/emby-server/system
    System.Exception: System.Exception: Invalid username or password
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.DefaultAuthenticationProvider.Authenticate(String username, String password, User resolvedUser)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.UserManager.AuthenticateWithProvider(IAuthenticationProvider provider, String username, String password, User resolvedUser, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    Source: Emby.Server.Implementations
    TargetSite: System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1[MediaBrowser.Controller.Authentication.ProviderAuthenticationResult] Authenticate(System.String, System.String, MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.User)

There's also this in the log, but I don't know if it's related:

2021-05-29 10:09:29.710 Error PlaybackReporting - EventMonitorEntryPoint: PlaybackMonitoringTask Exception
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.6.1.0
    Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb
    Operating system: Linux version 3.19.0-25-generic (buildd@lgw01-20) (gcc version 4.8.2 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1) ) #26~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 24 21:16:20 UTC 2015
    Framework: .NET Core 3.1.13
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: opt/emby-server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 4
    Data path: /var/lib/emby
    Application path: /opt/emby-server/system
    SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException: Error: cannot rollback - no transaction is active
    SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException: Exception of type 'SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException' was thrown.
       at SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException.CheckOk(sqlite3 db, Int32 rc)
       at SQLitePCL.pretty.StatementImpl.MoveNext()
       at SQLitePCL.pretty.DatabaseConnection.Execute(IDatabaseConnection This, ReadOnlySpan`1 sqlUtf8)
       at SQLitePCL.pretty.DatabaseConnection.RollbackTransaction(IDatabaseConnection This)
       at SQLitePCL.pretty.DatabaseConnection.RunInTransaction[T](IDatabaseConnection This, Func`2 f, TransactionMode mode)
       at SQLitePCL.pretty.DatabaseConnection.RunInTransaction(IDatabaseConnection This, Action`1 action, TransactionMode mode)
       at playback_reporting.Data.ActivityRepository.UpdatePlaybackAction(PlaybackInfo play_info)
       at playback_reporting.EventMonitorEntryPoint.ProcessSessions()
       at playback_reporting.EventMonitorEntryPoint.PlaybackMonitoringTask()
    Source: SQLitePCL.pretty
    TargetSite: Void CheckOk(SQLitePCLEx.sqlite3, Int32)

Happy2Play

Can you post the server log.  As the sql error appears to be for the Playback Reporting plugin not Emby Server.  May need to notify the plugin dev.

• It's likely unrelated, since I saw a reference to images not appearing in another post, but I have the same issue there, where some images don't appear.  I have images saved in the local folders, so I don't know why it'd be trying to connect to https://assets.fanart.tv/ to get them.  FYI, that site gives me a 500 error right now.  Restarting does not solve this.

This is unrelated. fanart.tv had some problems over the last few days.

• Solution
xarggrax

Update: I performed the "Remove Database Locks" operation in the linked page.  I also discovered that the server's OS drive was completely full, due to a separate problem with my backups, unrelated to Emby.  I fixed that problem and with the two things combined, have not yet experienced the issue again (it happened numerous times the day I posted, so that's a good sign).  I'm hoping one or both of these things were the cause of the issue.  I'll wait a few more days to see if it reappears and then report back & close the issue.

Thanks for the update and glad you got your issues taken care of!

xarggrax

It's been long enough now that I'm confident the issue is resolved.  I suspect the primary problem was the OS disk being full.  Thanks for everyone's time and quick responses.

• Like 1