No sound/video stuttering/"Giving up" errors on Android TV

pefectflaw
Go to solution Solved by pefectflaw,

pefectflaw

On Monday night audio stopped working when I try to play any video/files on Emby for Android TV.  Works just fine on my tablets/PC, but android TV no audio.  I tried re-installing the app on my TV, but then I started getting "Giving up" errors instead.  I tried upgrading to the beta branch on my server and now videos play again, but they stutter and have no audio still.  My TV is using version 2.0.09g of the app.  My server is now on 4.7.0.0.

Additional info:

If I use VLC to play the videos on my TV (via Emby as the media server), they play without stutter but have no audio.

If I use the TV's built in media player (via Emby as the media server), it plays the videos just fine with video and audio.

I included log files for both a "giving up" (Sonic Boom) and no audio (the Matrix) attempt.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

ffmpeg-directstream-8ff9d393-80c5-46f9-b8d5-dd759f9c7445_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-1529df85-d521-4564-a721-20b0cdaccc3d_1.txt

Hi, if you start getting a lot of giving up type errors, give you Android box a reboot and see if that fixes your issue.

• Like 1

pefectflaw

Thank you for the suggestion.  I have rebooted both the server and the TV.  Unfortunately still having errors.

11 hours ago, pefectflaw said:

If I use VLC to play the videos on my TV (via Emby as the media server), they play without stutter but have no audio

So that sounds like something on the TV or environment or settings changed.  Did the TV update?  Did you change the way anything is hooked up?

Can you play one of these items for a few seconds and then send a log from the app?

Thanks.

pefectflaw

Thank you for responding!

No updates on the TV.  Only thing I can think of is the Emby server updated Monday I believe.  On Friday it was working fine.  Nothing else that I'm aware of in my environment changed.  The videos play just fine if I use the TV's built in media server software (Sony Bravia that I bought just a few months ago, runs android TV as the interface).  I've never actually used the VLC media player on it before, so no clue if that's just a settings thing in VLC I need to tinker with.

Just trying to include every bit of potentially relevant info I can think of.  The 'stuttering' on the TV is the kind where it plays really fast as if it's on 1.5x speed, but then 'resets' to where it should be since it's on normal speed.  I checked and it is on normal playback.

No settings have been changed on the TV or on the playback.  It's on default settings and has been since I purchased it.  I use the built in speakers and connect to my network over wi-fi, so nothing is plugged in other than a Nintendo Switch (which I did try unplugging for troubleshooting purposes, no change) and the power cable.

I submitted the logs just now.

- Normal playback attempt of "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix"

- Sent approx 8:50 AM EST

- username was 'boys'

pefectflaw

I just realized I may have sent the wrong logs (logged out of the server and used the send logs from the main screen).

Sent another set of logs while playing the movie itself using the cog menu.

- Normal playback attempts of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone"

- Sent 9:29 AM EST

- username was 'boys'

Edited by pefectflaw

50 minutes ago, pefectflaw said:

Normal playback attempts of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone"

And which problem occurred here?  Audio?

What happens if you select the Dolby track instead of the AAC stereo one?

pefectflaw

Both issues.  No audio and stuttering video issue.

Dolby track has same issue.  Sluttering video and no sound.

I tried doing "Playback correction" and started getting the 'giving up error' on everything.  Rebooted TV/Server, kept getting giving up error.  Cleared app cache and downloaded data, still gave me giving up error.  Uninstalled/reinstalled the app and now back to the stuttering/no sound issue.

• Solution
pefectflaw

Had one of those epiphany moments.  You folks have always been amazing and quick to figure out problems.  I figured if the problem was with Emby, you would have solved it by now.

So I went back at this assuming the problem wasn't Emby.

I redid the basics.  I unplugged my TV for half an hour (instead of just rebooting android OS), plugged it back in, and now it's working again just fine with no stuttering and the volume is working fine.

Thank you so much for your time.  Emby is amazing!

And thank you cayars for the suggestion to reboot the android TV.  Seems I had to go the extra step of doing a hard reboot and not just a soft one.  You'd think as a computer engineer for the past 20 years I would have thought of that.

Edited by pefectflaw
  • Like 2

Well, that's very interesting.  Thanks for reporting back and I'm glad you are back up and running.