Can’t connect to server on LAN

Johncrane88

Johncrane88

Running Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

I installed the Emby app on my LG smart TV. I entered the IP address, found in the setting on The dashboard of the server. Couldn’t connect. I also tried entering the pin but that just led me back to a screen to enter manually or logout.
    I followed directions to open a port on the firewall.  Nothing changed on the app, however, when I select the input on the tv the server is listed and I can watch with no issues.  That seems precarious to me.
Next, I am trying to access the server on a fire stick on another tv.  Same issue, entering IP address says it can’t connect, logging on with a pin just brings me to a screen where I can enter IP address or logout of connect. 

I am moderately technically savvy but very very unfamiliar with Linux.  Can anyone point me on the right direction?

thank you

mastrmind11
16 hours ago, Johncrane88 said:

Running Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

I installed the Emby app on my LG smart TV. I entered the IP address, found in the setting on The dashboard of the server. Couldn’t connect. I also tried entering the pin but that just led me back to a screen to enter manually or logout.
    I followed directions to open a port on the firewall.  Nothing changed on the app, however, when I select the input on the tv the server is listed and I can watch with no issues.  That seems precarious to me.
Next, I am trying to access the server on a fire stick on another tv.  Same issue, entering IP address says it can’t connect, logging on with a pin just brings me to a screen where I can enter IP address or logout of connect. 

I am moderately technically savvy but very very unfamiliar with Linux.  Can anyone point me on the right direction?

thank you

are you able to connect from a web browser?  what does "when I select the input on the tv" mean?

Johncrane88

I just tried it through the browser on my phone and I was able to connect and watch.

I meant when I choose the input on the tv ex; hdmi 1 hdmi 2 etc...   There is an option for the server and it works somehow