"Open in App" in Chrome/Brave

Dreakon13

Dreakon13

This is kind of a weird question... but hoping someone might know what I'm talking about.

Back before I reformatted my laptop, in my Brave browser I had the option from app.emby.media to "Open in App" like this...

image.thumb.png.f659a5cedc915585b12fe5690fb89190.png

I'm not sure what I did to get that option, but it's not there with a clean laptop reformatting/new browser install.  I tried installing Emby Theater from the Microsoft Store (long shot) and the Emby Chrome app/extension but neither produced the results I was getting before.

The neat thing about the feature I was using, is that it opened it in a separate application window that was effectively a tab of the Chrome-based browser so I could both pin it to my taskbar AND cast to Google devices (like my Google Home speakers around the house) that the Emby apps themselves don't seem to pick up on.

I'd think the Emby browser app would be right, but using it, I don't have the same browser-wide casting options like I did before.

Any ideas what I'm missing?

EDIT: Now that I look at it, this probably belongs in the Web App subforum.  Sorry, please move if that's more appropriate.

Edited by Dreakon13

Hi, Are you not able to just open the Chrome browser on your device and use that URL?
That should give you all the standard cast to functionality.

Some features such as these the browser will only allow when you use the https version of our web app.

Of course in order to do that, you'll also need https setup on your emby server as well.

• Like 1

Dreakon13
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Hi, Are you not able to just open the Chrome browser on your device and use that URL?
That should give you all the standard cast to functionality.

I can, and it works fine.

This particular functionality actually made it a separate icon on the Windows taskbar, which was a nice little convenience to not have to juggle it with a bunch of different tabs in the actual browser window.  Similar to how the Emby Chrome app works, but still allowing me to use the browsers casting functionality.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if this was actual functionality within Emby's web app, or something specific to the browser that I had inadvertently set up before.

I wish I had a picture lol.

31 minutes ago, Luke said:

Some features such as these the browser will only allow when you use the https version of our web app.

Of course in order to do that, you'll also need https setup on your emby server as well.

I do have remote access set up securely through https, though the option does not appear accessing it through there either.  I just chose app.emby.media to try it this time because that's how I was doing it before.

If you are aware of what I'm talking about, maybe you can elaborate on how to enable the feature?  I could probably troubleshoot from there.

Edited by Dreakon13

Dreakon13
7 minutes ago, cayars said:

Thank you.  I don't mean to send you off looking up general PC/browser tips for me!  LOL

Especially since I may start to come across as nitpicky... this is more of a curiosity than a real issue.  I'd love to be able to find what I lost in my laptop re-format.

Unfortunately that just opens the website in the same browser I have open, which still leads to juggling tabs ultimately... as opposed to a separate window/application like before.

Edited by Dreakon13

Do me a favor and try to install this.
https://emby.media/emby-theater.html

This is our stand alone Theater desktop app which is superb and can direct play things your browser normally can't.
This might have been what you were thinking about.

Let us know. 

Dreakon13

image.thumb.png.446828c8a63215320826a839f8b4fc45.png

This is what it was!!!

I followed your previous suggestion of creating a website shortcut, but chose to "open as window".  Now I have this handy separate "application" window complete with my browsers casting abilities.  Yay!

That isn't how I did it before... but I'm glad to know the proper way now.

4 minutes ago, cayars said:

Do me a favor and try to install this.
https://emby.media/emby-theater.html

This is our stand alone Theater desktop app which is superb and can direct play things your browser normally can't.
This might have been what you were thinking about.

Let us know. 

I would love to use the Emby Theater but I haven't been able to get it to pick up my Google Home devices to cast to.  I use Emby on my desktop primarily for music.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

Nice. pays to experiment a bit from time to time. :)

Glad you're happy!

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I Haven't been able to get it to pick up my Google Home devices to cast to.  I use Emby on my desktop primarily for music.

Have you  explored the Remote Control options of a user under profile?

Dreakon13
12 minutes ago, cayars said:

Have you  explored the Remote Control options of a user under profile?

I see the Remote Control options under my user...

image.thumb.png.253757c4b1c288b301eaf133e2483d64.png

Is there something I should change?

These are my options with Emby Theater:

image.thumb.png.523c94c775dccd4eb596b2a6abc7f029.png

These are my options in the browser:

image.thumb.png.e3cd2e28ed889acaf41e84e89ecaa30d.png

Truthfully I've been meaning to start a thread if there's a way to get Emby Theater and the web app to pick up my Google Home devices like the browser casting can... but I always just figured it was probably more of a Google issue.

Edited by Dreakon13

What is different between Emby and Google Chrome?

Happy2Play

Not exactly sure how this works as in web client I do not see my Chromecast but in my IOS app I do.  But the Chrome browser Cast to sees these cast to devices.  But believe some of this is by design.

9 hours ago, Luke said:

^ Regarding chromecast.

Dreakon13
11 hours ago, cayars said:

What is different between Emby and Google Chrome?

Emby Theater doesn't list anything when I use the "Cast" button in the app itself.  It just says "Play On" with nothing listed underneath it.

The browser lists all of my Google Home devices.

10 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Not exactly sure how this works as in web client I do not see my Chromecast but in my IOS app I do.  But the Chrome browser Cast to sees these cast to devices.  But believe some of this is by design.

Agree.  It works on my Emby android app, but not in Emby Theater on my PC.  I get around that by, as you said, using the Chrome browser casting, but that's why Emby Theater wasn't going to work out (since cayars asked me to try it before)... otherwise, it seems like a great desktop app.

Seconding what Luke said, if I go onto the Web App through my secure reverse proxy, I see Chromecast as an option (though clicking it just seems to leverage the browsers casting abilities).  Changing to the secure server host/URL didn't change Emby Theater though.  I kind of assume this may be some restriction on Google's end versus anything you guys missed.

Edited by Dreakon13

Google only provides cast developer libraries for android apps, iOS app, and web apps. That's why you don't see Chromecast in the Play On menu of Emby Theater, although you will see other Emby apps in there.

though clicking it just seems to leverage the browsers casting abilities

That's how Chromceast in web apps work. The dialog box you get to pick a Chromecast device is provided by the browser.

• Thanks 1