Help please. Emby server will not run

grabirdUK

grabirdUK

I have a new DS220+. (since 17th May 2021).

On it I run DSM DSM 6.2.4-25556

Firstly, I loaded Emby Server 4.5.4.0. I still have it in my downloads folder on my Mac from 19th May so it must have been that day I loaded it. All went well, and I set up devices to run and happily used Emby. (I have an HDHomeRun).

On 24th May, I updated to Emby 4.6.0.50 - all was fine. I subscribed to Emby Premiere. Loving it.

On 25th May, I updated to Emby 4.6.1.0. The update ran fine, but when I opened Emby on my NAS, it does not open. It sits in my Installed Package centre offering itself to 'Run' not 'Open'. When I click Run nothing happens. 

I read some forum threads to try to fix myself. I uninstalled Emby, rebooted my NAS, then installed 4.6.0.52. No different. I did the same again and installed the original 4.5.4.0 , but still no different.

I cannot even open it to get to its log files. Is there another way to find those?

I am of average tech ability - not a whizz. (I can instal things like Docker, I've heard of sudo, but no idea of its syntax).  While I have been going through this challenge, I may have done other changes to the NAS - installed other apps, etc. I am not aware that I have changed any settings that would cause problems and no other packages are having issues. What I mean is that I can't say for sure it is an issue with Emby, I may have inadvertently caused the issue myself. But I don't know where to start. 

Please could you advise next steps. I have tried reading knowledgeable troubleshooting but they all seem to start with the assumption that Emby server is running already.

Thanks!

kaj

How are you trying to 'open' Emby? You cannot open it on the NAS, but must use a client (Desktop, Phone etc), that connected on the same network, i.e. http://192.168.1.100:8096, where '192.168.1.100' is the address of your NAS on the local network and ':8096' is the default LAN port. When you look in the Package Center for Emby, at the bottom it should show the URL- http://192.168.1.100:8096/web/index.html

grabirdUK

Thanks for quick response. 

Yes, when I run from Mac and use address as you suggest, I get the message: 'Safari can't open the page "<NAS address>:8096" because the server where this page is located isn't responding.'

When I run Emby app on Mac, it tries to make me use Emby Connect or skip to connect to server manually where I run into same problem.

When I run Emby app on iPad, I get the message: 'connection failure. We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again.'

I believe this is all because the Emby server app on the Synology is not actually running. When I open DSM Package Centre, all the other apps (like Video station for example), have the 'Open' button there in blue. But the Emby Server app has that button with the word 'Run' on it.

kaj

Yes, it certainly looks like it's not running. When you did the manual install on Emby, it didn't throw any errors? Which package did you download?

grabirdUK

No, I did not get any errors. The problem started when I installed emby-server-synology_4.6.1.0_x86_64.

You don't want to roll back versions so please install 4.6.0.52 again.

Do you know how to SSH into your synology to get to the logs?

grabirdUK

Thanks.

Okay I can install 4.6.0.52 again.

I have enabled SSH and I believe I can log in to the admin account via the terminal window on Mac. I don't know how to get to the logs from the logged in DSM prompt in SSH, so please could you point me to a kbase article for that, or I could look around internet for tips on that, so I can get to logs to send to you. (It'll be this evening before I can respond to this). Thanks for help.

If the stable release is what you prefer, then stay on 4.6.1 and let's look at your issue there. You would only use the beta release if you want to participate in testing.

grabirdUK

Hi,

So I've uninstalled, rebooted again, then installed 4.6.1.0, and ...hey presto. All is fine again. Thanks for your help. Not sure I can pinpoint what has happened. I could now send Emby logs more easily if you wish. Let me know. But as it's fixed, I'm happy. (except lack of LG app but that's a whole different chat). I can't see anything I did to either break it or fix it. I did change my 'emby' user to 'Emby' at one point but then changed it back. Anyway, all's fine. Thanks kaj, cayars and Luke.

• Like 1