DSD audio file no sound ...

cchsieh

cchsieh

When I playing DSD audio files, the dashboard displays as the following, and Emby for Android TV shows it is playing but no sound output.

emby.jpg.46b1010d73010a8af25fdd4d7a310ecf.jpg

I tested Emby for Android TV on nVidia Shield TV 2019 and Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 with the same results.

Emby for Android is playing DSD correctly on Samsung Galaxy Tab S6, but transcoding to AAC 384bps.

Server: 4.6.1.0, Android TV: 2.0.09g

cchsieh
10 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, does it have sound when playing in the web app?

Yes, it transcodes to AAC 384kbps.

emby_web.jpg.a79a1248da5e397a36bb4a3f453fcc7f.jpg

cchsieh

BTW, Emby for Windows desktop version can directly play DSD correctly. Most android phones or TV boxes now should have the ability to decode and play DSD directly, I think. 

Is it possible to let Emby play DSD directly on all Android/Android TV devices?

emby_win.jpg.964cd004fadb6510e7b34f8b1e0f2537.jpg

Edited by cchsieh

Luke, if you look at his transcode log from the TV app, the url specifies AllowAudioStreamCopy=false but the audio is being copied instead of transcoded.

10 hours ago, cchsieh said:

Is it possible to let Emby play DSD directly on all Android/Android TV devices?

Hi. Unfortunately, no.  It tried and failed according to your logs.

cchsieh
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi. Unfortunately, no.  It tried and failed according to your logs.

Sorry for my bad english.

I use Emby to play videos, music, and photos except DSD audio files. I have to use KODI (EmbyCon) to play DSD audio files directly. I hope Emby can support DSD audio files on client side directly.

Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...
cchsieh

Emby for Android TV app can play DSD/DSF files without transcoding many years ago and didn't work for years in my memory. As I know, ffmpeg supports DSF files for years, and it is not hard to decode on mobile phones or TV boxes, I think.

I now use KODI on Android TV (through Emby addon) and use Yaste app on Android mobile (directly connect to Emby server) to play DSD/DSF directly if other people have the same requirement as me.

My bad English, sorry!!!

EDIT:

After some test, Emby for Android mobile can play DSF directly now. Thanks a lot!!! But Emby for Android TV is still not working.

BTW, Chromecast supports DSF directly actually.

Edited by cchsieh
  • Like 1

cchsieh

Emby server seems have a bug that the dashboard shows wrong infomation. When playing DSD audio files, the dashboard shows direct playing but actually transcoding to 384kbps AAC. I reported it in another thread.

If adding DSD-PCM conversion in client is a hard work, the client can add to accept FLAC format and the server transcodes DSD to FLAC to keep better sound quality. The quality of AAC/MP3 isn't good enough (actually bad). It's my opinion.

Thanks.

Edited by cchsieh

16 hours ago, cchsieh said:

Emby server seems have a bug that the dashboard shows wrong infomation. When playing DSD audio files, the dashboard shows direct playing but actually transcoding to 384kbps AAC. I reported it in another thread.

If adding DSD-PCM conversion in client is a hard work, the client can add to accept FLAC format and the server transcodes DSD to FLAC to keep better sound quality. The quality of AAC/MP3 isn't good enough (actually bad). It's my opinion.

Thanks.

Hi, thanks for reporting. We're looking into it.