10 bit depth movies maxing out the CPU

Snakebait

Snakebait

Hi, First I want to thank you for all the improvements you've made to EMBY.  :)

I have a small server DS415+ and until your improvements it maxed out the CPU every time I tried to play a 10 bit movie. I have five viewers and one owns a Roku and the rest have a Fire stick. The Fire stick direct plays the movies but the Roku transcodes and maxes the CPU. This also happens when I play a movie on my PC (win10). Is there anything I can do on my end or is it a Roku and PC issue?

Snakebait

I have uploaded a screenshot of my server and active devices in EMBY. The movie is playing on my PC.

Active Devices.JPG

CPU.JPG

Edited by Snakebait

vdatanet

That NAS has an Intel Atom C2538,  so if transcoding is required the CPU will work hard. Transcode reason is video codec not supported. If you want to avoid transcoding, you must use a device that supports the video codec.

TranscodeReasons=VideoCodecNotSupported

PassMark - Intel Atom C2538 @ 2.40GHz - Price performance comparison (cpubenchmark.net)

Snakebait

Hi. Why does it only happen with the Roku and not the Fire stick? Will changing from the Roku to the Fire stick change anything?

vdatanet
Just now, Snakebait said:

Hi. Why does it only happen with the Roku and not the Fire stick? Will changing from the Roku to the Fire stick change anything?

Fire stick supports HEVC and there's no need to transcode. What Roku model do you have?

vdatanet
6 minutes ago, Snakebait said:

Hi, I cant query the viewer now but it is at lease nine years old.

Surely it does not support HEVC, the time to renew it has come. Upgrading clients is usually much cheaper than upgrading the server. If clients can play direct, your server is still fine.

Edited by vdatanet

Snakebait

Hi, Thanks, I thought that my be the issue. My brother will be thrilled when he finds out he needs to buy a Fire stick.

roaku
18 minutes ago, Snakebait said:

Hi, Thanks, I thought that my be the issue. My brother will be thrilled when he finds out he needs to buy a Fire stick.

Current Rokus support HEVC, too, just to be clear.

• Like 2

Snakebait

Hi, Turns out he has a new Fire stick on his other TV, problem solved. I also posted about the same thing happening when I play a video on my PC. How do I correct that? I was under the impression Win10 would update itself to play all codex's.

vdatanet
2 minutes ago, Snakebait said:

Hi, Turns out he has a new Fire stick on his other TV, problem solved. I also posted about the same thing happening when I play a video on my PC. How do I correct that? I was under the impression Win10 would update itself to play all codex's.

As the web browser does not support HEVC, you can try Emby Theater:

Emby Theater - Emby