Migration Plugin

pünktchen

tr0nllam

When I use this plugin, it creates a lot of duplicate folders, where one folder is named "Jane Doe" and the other folder is named "Jane Doe-tmdb-123456". That behavior results in about 1/3rd of my people images not being displayed.

Is there any fix for this?

Edited by tr0nllam

pünktchen

Sorry, no fix for this. You'll have to use your backup. This happened to me while testing and i've already corrected this, but obviously i've missed a situation that i couldn't replicate at that time. If you tell me what was your initial situation for people and how you've used the plugin, then maybe i can find the error.

tr0nllam

The issue seems to be occurring when there is a person with a TMDBID recorded in the database, but their image folder is in a "Jane Doe" folder without the '"-tmdb" at the end. So, if the image file is in the "metadata\People\J\Jane Doe" folder or if it's in a "metadata\People\Jane Doe" folder, it's copying the image over to "Jane Doe", but copying the nfo file to "Jane Doe-tmdb-12345678."

It seems to have copied all of my images in the old library folders correctly, but the "metadata\People" images were a different story.

pünktchen

Okay, so you had those legacy A to Z folders under metadata\people correct?

Did you also use the plugin option for legacy people folders and filled in the path?

TallBoiDez
13 hours ago, tr0nllam said:

When I use this plugin, it creates a lot of duplicate folders, where one folder is named "Jane Doe" and the other folder is named "Jane Doe-tmdb-123456". That behavior results in about 1/3rd of my people images not being displayed.

Is there any fix for this?

I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue

tr0nllam
3 hours ago, pünktchen said:

Okay, so you had those legacy A to Z folders under metadata\people correct?

Did you also use the plugin option for legacy people folders and filled in the path?

Yes, they're in metadata\people. I tried running the legacy plugin option with and without the path filled it, but had the same issue both times.

pünktchen

@tr0nllam @TallBoiDez i've updated the migration plugin in the start post to prevent those duplicated people folders. Give it a try, but don't forget your backup 😉

tr0nllam

I tried it again and it's still not working properly.

The issue of two folders being created is fixed, but if only a "Jane Doe" folder is created, the image is not showing up. Only the folders with the TMDB id in their name are displaying images.

Edited by tr0nllam

pünktchen

I think there's a big design flaw in the new way Emby is storing those persons. Normally Emby should pickup the people just by executing the "Scan metadata folder" task. That's why i just rename and copy the old legacy people folders to the new style without setting any database entries. But if an existing person in the database has a provider id and the folder has not or the other way round, Emby won't find the person. This makes the new style of storing people absolutely useless as a backup. I have to think about a way how to solve this big problem for the migration at least. Any ideas?

TallBoiDez

even when i use the migration plug it still change any of the actor pictures even when i run the metadata scan. the picture are showing in metadata/people folder in emby but still no change. I think i'll just wait for the people back-up plugin to be updated.

pünktchen

@tr0nllam @TallBoiDez Please try this:  I'm now importing the legacy people into the database if there's a matching entry.

Edited by pünktchen
removed attachement

tr0nllam

The new version appears to work perfectly. It copied everything over and all the images seem to be showing.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
the-dumb1

Someone asked the question earlier, and it wasn't answered.  Obviously there's a few of us that don't get it.  How do we install this plugin and why isn't it in the catalog of plugins since it's obviously necessary?

the-dumb1
21 minutes ago, the-dumb1 said:

Someone asked the question earlier, and it wasn't answered.  Obviously there's a few of us that don't get it.  How do we install this plugin and why isn't it in the catalog of plugins since it's obviously necessary?

I am running Synology DSM 7.  I had to give myself access to the /Emby directory so I could upload the migration plugin to the plugins directory, but even after a restart, the plugin still doesn't show up in my list of plugins.  Help?

pünktchen
31 minutes ago, the-dumb1 said:

Put the dll in Emby's plugin folder (it is NOT system\plugins) and restart Emby. The plugin folder is dependent of the OS. Search the forum or google for it.

It's not in the plugin catalogue, because the need of this plugin proofs that the Emby devs have done a bad job and i don't want to get stress with them.

pünktchen
8 minutes ago, the-dumb1 said:

I am running Synology DSM 7.  I had to give myself access to the /Emby directory so I could upload the migration plugin to the plugins directory, but even after a restart, the plugin still doesn't show up in my list of plugins.  Help?

See my last post and make sure it's not system\plugins.

the-dumb1
3 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

See my last post and make sure it's not system\plugins.

Hi.  I'm pretty certain that's where I put it.  I see all the other plugins in that same folder that I tried to put the migration plugin.  I'm wondering if there's another folder somewhere...?

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, the-dumb1 said:

Hi.  I'm pretty certain that's where I put it.  I see all the other plugins in that same folder that I tried to put the migration plugin.  I'm wondering if there's another folder somewhere...?

Please post a server log.

pünktchen
11 minutes ago, the-dumb1 said:

"Hi, you can determine this by looking at the top of the server log file.

You'll see the data path printed in the log. It's the plugins folder underneath that."

the-dumb1
7 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

"Hi, you can determine this by looking at the top of the server log file.

You'll see the data path printed in the log. It's the plugins folder underneath that."

Yup ... I see it now.  Now I just have to give myself permissions to put the plugin there.  SSH here I come!

the-dumb1

Apparently most folks know how to install the plugin but I struggled, and there are no step-by-step instructions.  This is what worked for me on my Synology DSM 7 install (package install, not Docker).

1. Temporarily enable the admin account

2. Enable SSH

3. Download/Install PuTTY and log in using the admin account

4. Navigate to the location of your plugin directory (you can find this in the Emby logs)

5. At the prompt, give yourself sudo (sudo -i)

6. At the prompt, change the privileges of the plugin directory (should currently be 755; make it 757)

7.  Download/Install WinSCP and log in using the admin account.

8. Navigate to the plugins directory, transfer the file to that directory.

9.  Restart the Emby service.

10. Set the privileges of the plugin directory back to 755 and then disable the admin account.  Disable the SSH service if you don't need it.

FYI, the plugin does exactly what it's supposed to do.  All of the pictures of my Persons are back after having run this plugin.  This SHOULD be included ... perhaps as a transparent thing ... glad I didn't have to do it manually.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi pünktchen,

First of all many thanks for the great Migration Plugin.
I have used it with my library and it worked very well.

But I have some additional questions regarding the migration.
1. After the migration I had a whole bunch of warning messages in the log file. All entries were like this (without additional info and just with different dates):

Warn App: Invalid Added value found: 18.02.2018 01:00:00

However all these entries came up as a block just after the message

Info Migration Plugin: Collection Migration > Successfully finished

Are these warning messages from your plugin? If yes, what are they? Is it something I need to worry about?

2. What is the purpose of the "person.nfo" files in the person folders?
I saw that the person posters (folder.jpg) are listed as an absolute path in the nfo files and wondered why it's not a relative path at least.
I also tested the persons creation with an empty Emby test version.
In this case only the "folder.jpg" file was created by Emby in the newly created person folder but no "person.nfo" at all.
So are the "person.nfo" files needed at all?
Or can I just delete all the nfo files from persons without fearing any issues?