Music categories missing in Android TV version 2.0.09g

TonkaTuff
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

TonkaTuff

Hi guys

Congratulations on the major updates to server and the Android TV / Fire TV client apps.

I'm running the Android TV app on a Shield TV (2019 'Tube' version) and emby Server version 4.6.0.50 on Windows server 2012 R2.

Since the updates, I've lost all the organisational categories in my Music library, when viewed on the Android TV app.

Previously, when I opened the Music library on Android TV, I could view the library contents by categories: Album artists, Artits, Albums, etc.

Now when I open the Music library on Android TV, I'm immediately in the 'Folders' view with no way to navigate to any of these other views. I note that the other views are still available when viewing the library from the browser client.

Additionally, the "play all" and "shuffle all" options that are presented when selecting the 'play' (triangle) button to the right in the music library when viewed using the Android TV app, appear to be broken - nothing at all happens when I select them.

Together, these issues make using the Android TV app for music listening very difficult. For now I'm using "Play on" function in the Android (phone) app to select music to play via my Sheild TV.

Let me know if I can provide any further info to help investigate this one.

Cheers.

TT

Can you try the beta 4.6.0.52 release with a music library scan?
Let us know if this fixes your problem.

TonkaTuff

Hi @cayars

Thanks for your reply.

Can you point me in the direction of instructions for switching across to the beta from the current release?

I'm a bit concerned about losing my config, it'd be a pretty huge undertaking for me to reconfigure my emby server from scratch.

I do have the 'Server configuration backup' plugin installed and configured to backup daily but I've never used the backups to perform a config restore after a fresh install so I don't know how well that works.

Cheers.

TT

Just grab the 4.6.1 stable release if that's what you prefer. You don't need the beta server unless you want to help test.

TonkaTuff

Hi guys.

By the time I got back to this my server had already updated to 4.6.1 stable.
I gave it a restart and re-scanned my entire library anyway.
After that the problem is still present.

Here are some screenshots to illustrate the problem.

1. Viewing 'Music' library on Android TV (Nvidia Shield TV)

• Music categories NOT shown at top, and
  • After navigating into an artist then into an album, the "Play all" and "Shuffle all" options shown when the circled button is selected do nothing.

Android-TV_emby-app_Nvidia-Shield-TV.thumb.jpg.bef08310fe78bb18d4fcdd690d51ebd6.jpg

2. Viewing Music library on Android phone app

• Music categories shown at the top

Android-Phone_emby-app.thumb.jpg.783b43fccea494bb1283397424923ae2.jpg

3. Viewing Music library using web client in Chrome on Windows

• Music categories shown at the top

Chrome_Windows.thumb.jpg.e0da4adc532a2cc77627fa7b26f908ea.jpg

Edited by TonkaTuff

Hi, What is the "category" you are referring to?

Are you sure you're not thinking about genres?

Edited by cayars

Hi.  How did you get to that screen?  It looks like you are folder browsing or the library is not properly classified as music.

TonkaTuff

Thanks guys.

18 hours ago, cayars said:

What is the "category" you are referring to?

The options I've circled in the screenshots (e.g. "Album Artitsts", "Artists", etc)

17 hours ago, ebr said:

How did you get to that screen?  It looks like you are folder browsing or the library is not properly classified as music.

By opening my "Music" library from the emby home screen in the Android TV client.

I reckon you're probably correct about the proper classification of the library. I'm not seeing a setting in the library configuration for my Music library that I would use to define the content type.

The folder that's configured for the library contains nearly all music files (mostly .mp3 & .flac) but there are also a small number of video files in there for rare videos that came on special edition CDs, etc.

The tagging in my audio files is not good at all, so I've always relied on the folder structure to give my music library a sensible structure.

I.e. "<Artist>\<Album>\<files>"

What's curious to me is that these "categories", as I've referred to them, are still shown in the browser and Android clients (and working fine for me) but have gone missing from the Android TV client.

Cheers.

TT

Edited by TonkaTuff
spelling correction

Hi, take a look at this from your Library menu and make sure the music library is type music.
image.png.cff2a4c73e5529927699a51144433eab.png

4.6 Emby Server is going to want to read in music files with good tagging info so that would be the next thing you want to do.
Picard is one such tagging program that a lot of people use with their music collection to tag files.  Also mp3tag is pretty popular as well.

Take your time and make sure you have well tagged files and Emby will then give new life to your music library.
https://picard.musicbrainz.org/downloads/
https://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html

TonkaTuff

Thanks @cayars

My Music library content type is showing 'Mixed content', which is correct. As I mentioned above, there are a small number of video files in the library.

image.png.5d504289f1c1dbcd4dec9fbeefbfb6c9.png

Is the content type something I can manually override to force the behaviour I'm looking for? Or is this always auto-detected by emby, based on the files in the library folders?

I'll also do some reviewing of my file tagging to see how that's looking - it's a bit daunting!

I'm still confused though as to why these 'category' options are showing in the Web and Andoid (phone) client, but not in the Android TV client. And they were showing in the Android TV client before the recent updates.

Happy2Play
10 minutes ago, TonkaTuff said:

My Music library content type is showing 'Mixed content', which is correct.

Sorry Music only works in Music content type.  Mixed Content currrently only covers TV and Movies.

• Agree 1

TonkaTuff

Thanks @Happy2Play

So, to remedy this, I should remove all video files from the library folders then re-scan?

Should I expect the content type to change to 'Music' if I do that?

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, TonkaTuff said:

Thanks @Happy2Play

So, to remedy this, I should remove all video files from the library folders then re-scan?

Should I expect the content type to change to 'Music' if I do that?

Library content type should never change from the content type they were created as.  There were some bugs that caused this to happen though.

All the videos are music videos correct?  Not positive but believe you can point a Music Video library and Music Library to the same folder, but these will be two separate libraries. @Luke is that correct?

TonkaTuff

Sounds good @Happy2Play

In that case, I will first remove the library, then move the video files to different folders, then re-create the library.

Once the new library has been created as content type 'music', I should be able to move the video files back in (if I want/need to), without the content type changing (not withstanding any future bugs that cause this to happen)

• Solution
Happy2Play
1 minute ago, TonkaTuff said:

Sounds good @Happy2Play

In that case, I will first remove the library, then move the video files to different folders, then re-create the library.

Once the new library has been created as content type 'music', I should be able to move the video files back in (if I want/need to), without the content type changing (not withstanding any future bugs that cause this to happen)

If you do not want to see these videos you can just remove the Mixed Content library and re-add as Music.  If you want to see these Video you will need to make a Music Videos library also.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 8:47 PM, Happy2Play said:

Library content type should never change from the content type they were created as.  There were some bugs that caused this to happen though.

All the videos are music videos correct?  Not positive but believe you can point a Music Video library and Music Library to the same folder, but these will be two separate libraries. @Luke is that correct?

You shouldn't use the same folder for two libraries of differing content types.