Switching Metadata Drive (Will it wipe all my metadata?)

rechigo
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

rechigo

Hello, I need to temporarily switch the directory for my media metadata to a different drive. What I have in mind is to shut down Emby, transfer all of my data from my Emby metadata/cache SSD, move it to a temp HDD, and then switch both my metadata & cache paths to point to the new drive. I want to make sure that what I am going to do here will not wipe all of my data simply because the drive letter changed, even though I left the metadata folders intact. I would hate to lose all of my metadata to something like this.

Happy2Play

Not entirely true as your database will pointing to a none existent location when you make this change and all items will be lost from my understanding.

@Luke would the Scan Metadata folder resolve this issue?

Just now, Happy2Play said:

Not entirely true as your database will pointing to a none existent location when you make this change and all items will be lost from my understanding.

The database doesn't use the full path to the metadata folder. It's virtualized like %metadatapath% or something along those lines.

The task should be run manually whenever the contents of the folder is changed externally.

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

The database doesn't use the full path to the metadata folder. It's virtualized like %metadatapath% or something along those lines.

The task should be run manually whenever the contents of the folder is changed externally.

move it to a temp HDD, and then switch both my metadata & cache paths to point to the new drive

@rechigoare you already using a custom path and are changing it?

@Lukethis would break the token path correct?

rechigo
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

move it to a temp HDD, and then switch both my metadata & cache paths to point to the new drive

@rechigoare you already using a custom path and are changing it?

@Lukethis would break the token path correct?

Yes. I was actually just looking at the library DB in my sqlite browser and I saw that it was using a %METADATAPATH% placeholder for everything, so it looks like it will be fine.

Happy2Play
Just now, rechigo said:

Yes. I was actually just looking at the library DB in my sqlite browser and I saw that it was using a %METADATAPATH% placeholder for everything, so it looks like it will be fine.

Yes the token path if from Emby's default location, it you were changing that then you would set the custom path in Emby, shutdown and update the database with said path.

rechigo
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Yes the token path if from Emby's default location, it you were changing that then you would set the custom path in Emby, shutdown and update the database with said path.

So I should shutdown the server, copy all metadata files, set <MetadataPath>Letter:\EmbyData</MetadataPath> in system.xml, and start the server back up?

rechigo

Thanks guys, I just did it and it worked successfully without wiping my metadata.

• Like 1