Cannot play Dolby Vision (New Chromecast with Google TV) content on LG CX

admirdante

admirdante

So, I've tried 2 different movies and both will not work at all. I tried 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Witch and neither are really "recognized" by Emby, in the sense that all Info about the codec and such is missing. I tried playing the files with Kodi and the internal player of the TV (once I downloaded the files) and it works (only as normal HDR, not Dolby Vision) which tells me that the files are not corrupt and can play just fine. I tried downloading the Beta version of Emby to see if that would fix it, but it's the same. I am quite stumped on what to do to get Dolby Vision to play. The Chromecast is updated with the latest system software from Google.

Server Version: 4.6.0.50

Android App: 2.0.16g

Edited by admirdante

That log file has an error that stops it dead
/app/emby/ffmpeg: error while loading shared libraries: libva.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

With that said I'm not sure you're going to be able to transcode your dolby vision to the chromecast as any transcoding of any type of HDR material is going to strip the HDR from the file.  If you setup Tone mapping in 4.6 Server and have the proper hardware Emby can tone map the HDR to SDR for some HDR formats

image.thumb.png.e96154c7704468afcb358c6e14c70ce8.png

Please post your media info (detail screen of movie/show at bottom) of what you tried to play.

admirdante

As I said in my first post, emby isn't reading the file info. There is no Media Info like usual. HDR Movies get read just fine, but for some reason Dolby Vision is a no go.

image.thumb.png.ae3d805b6a04654b9bb17f81fa0755d7.png

And to adress your HDR-->SDR comment, why would I do that? I do not want to transcode or do whatever with this file. I want the thing to just direct play with Dolby Vision enabled, that's it. As I've said in my first post, I tried both files via Kodi and they play, although only with normal HDR, not Dolby Vision. I have a LG CX OLED TV, so there's no need for transcoding or tone mapping.

admirdante

So, to update the topic. I have managed to play the files with the modified version of Kodi that supports Dolby Vision and both work fine. I even managed to get it working via Emby with an external player, this one specifically: https://github.com/moneytoo/Player which is based on Exoplayer (just like yours) and it works, tho jumping back and forth in a 70+GB movie seems to be a bit too much for it, but normal playback seems to work fine. So, it's only Emby itself that won't play the files, every other player that claims to work with Dolby Vision, works just fine. If I have to go with an external player or Kodi just for Dolby Vision, then that's OK, but Emby is supposed to support this, but yet it doesn't. Can I upload something or whatever from my site to help you troubleshoot this?

Happy2Play
11 hours ago, cayars said:

/app/emby/ffmpeg: error while loading shared libraries: libva.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This error has to be resolved first, if Emby is not getting Media Info it will not process the file correctly.

admirdante

Dunno what to tell you, since it is working just fine on any other file on my server. HDR or not, it always works and reads the Media Info of the file, just not on these Dolby Vision ones.

13 hours ago, cayars said:

That log file has an error that stops it dead

@softworkz do you have any idea on this error from ffmpeg log file?

Once you have the media info properly obtained, these should play fine in the app but, until you get that resolved, the app/server doesn't have complete information upon which to make proper decisions.

admirdante
17 hours ago, softworkz said:

@admirdante - What package did you use to install Emby Server?

I couldn't really tell you. The app was installed via the app dashboard on Ultraseedbox. Should be a Docker container thingy as far as I know.

On 5/22/2021 at 7:17 AM, admirdante said:

I couldn't really tell you. The app was installed via the app dashboard on Ultraseedbox. Should be a Docker container thingy as far as I know.

Can you please attach the emby server log? Thanks.

admirdante

So, update on the topic. After the update to Emby Server 4.6.1.0 came out I upgraded and now it works just fine. So it might be that something was off with the previous release. It reads the Media Info for Dobly Vision files and plays them too with proper Dolby Vision.