How do I share a movie with a user so they can play the movie on their Roku?

MBSki
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

MBSki

All I see is an option to share via email, which doesn't help a user open up the movie on their Roku. What's the method to share a single movie with a user so they can play it back on their Roku?

• Solution
Happy2Play

The option does not share media.

Allow social media sharing
Only web pages containing media information are shared. Media files are never shared publicly. Shares are time-limited and will expire after 30 days.

You would have make the user a account on your server and potentially tag a item and restrict that user to that tag.  Or give user access to one folder and put the media you want them to see in that folder.

• Thanks 1

MBSki
6 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

The option does not share media.

Allow social media sharing
Only web pages containing media information are shared. Media files are never shared publicly. Shares are time-limited and will expire after 30 days.

You would have make the user a account on your server and potentially tag a item and restrict that user to that tag.  Or give user access to one folder and put the media you want them to see in that folder.

Got it, thanks. I tried the tags and that didn't work so it looks like I'll have to create a new folder and copy the movie over. Not ideal, but I guess that's the best we have at the moment.

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Got it, thanks. I tried the tags and that didn't work so it looks like I'll have to create a new folder and copy the movie over. Not ideal, but I guess that's the best we have at the moment.

Sorry but how did it not work?

MBSki
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Sorry but how did it not work?

I'll have to try it again. For some reason the movie I tagged just didn't show up in the users view.

Happy2Play
Just now, mbarylski said:

I'll have to try it again. For some reason the movie I tagged just didn't show up in the users view.

And your "Tag restriction mode:" is set to Allow correct?

MBSki
14 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

And your "Tag restriction mode:" is set to Allow correct?

Hmmm, it worked this time. No idea what I did wrong before. 😅

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
MBSki

@Happy2Play I remember what the issue is now. I was testing with my Dad's account and got the movies working. The problem is that I also want to share my home photos library with him. The problem though is that if I only show items with a certain tag, it blocks every photo in my photo library (1,000s of photos). There's no way to tag 1,000s of photos and there's no way to implement the access control per library. Which is why I added an FR a little while back. Any workaround that you can think of?

MBSki
34 minutes ago, Luke said:

Bulk edit features are planned for future updates. thanks for the feedback.

Ok, thanks, but that's not a great solution to the problem I'm noting here. I don't think I should need to tag thousands of photos. Could you instead add the ability to tag an entire library?

On 7/28/2021 at 7:08 PM, mbarylski said:

and there's no way to implement the access control per library

Hi.  Why is that?  Can't you use the folder-based access control?

MBSki
15 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Why is that?  Can't you use the folder-based access control?

What is folder-based access control? Do you mean selecting the folders within the libraries on the Access page? If so, it doesn't work because a "Shared" tag is required on EVERY photo because I used the Shared tag to share certain Movies in the Movies library. 

Just now, mbarylski said:

What is folder-based access control? Do you mean selecting the folders within the libraries on the Access page? If so, it doesn't work because a "Shared" tag is required on EVERY photo because I used the Shared tag to share certain Movies in the Movies library. 

Okay, so it is because you are restricting all content based on a tag.  Is it possible for you to change your strategy to use the folder-based control - and then it would work for your photos.

MBSki
Just now, ebr said:

Okay, so it is because you are restricting all content based on a tag.  Is it possible for you to change your strategy to use the folder-based control - and then it would work for your photos.

Of course, but that's cumbersome especially if I have a lot of movies or TV Shows that I want to share. I understand that's just the way it is now, but allowing a tag on a library would solve the problem pretty easily for me.

pwhodges

There's no reason you can't keep the tags for everything else, and use the folder control for photos.  

Paul

Happy2Play

Sound like Parental Controls needs to separate Allow and Restrict tags instead on one or the other.  

Depending on the folder layout of Photos, but you can tag subfolder level via the Metadata Manager giving access to that folder.

User only has access to this folder of pictures.

image.thumb.png.a6000c2acffa47c2faa8cdd534044def.png

• Thanks 1

MBSki
34 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

There's no reason you can't keep the tags for everything else, and use the folder control for photos.

How exactly would that be setup? As soon as you use the tags, nothing else is available unless it's also tagged.

MBSki
4 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Sound like Parental Controls needs to separate Allow and Restrict tags instead on one or the other.  

Depending on the folder layout of Photos, but you can tag subfolder level via the Metadata Manager giving access to that folder.

User only has access to this folder of pictures.

image.thumb.png.a6000c2acffa47c2faa8cdd534044def.png

Son of a gun, that worked!!! Not ideal, but I can work with that. I've got my photos library pointing to a directory with year sub-folders. So I have to tag 20 folders (for 20 years). I'd of course rather tag Photos in the screen shot, but the "root" folder isn't available to tag. It would be nice if this root folder could be made available to tag too. 

image.thumb.png.139ab4534f4da6ad421580d699089d63.png

Happy2Play
12 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

It would be nice if this root folder could be made available to tag too.

I'm confused as you already control library level access via Access.   All tagging is going to do is be restrictively removing full access.

Had to think but yes from a tag point of access I get it.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

pwhodges
9 hours ago, mbarylski said:

How exactly would that be setup? As soon as you use the tags, nothing else is available unless it's also tagged.

Oops.  Mea culpa - I was thinking the effect of tags was set per library, which it isn't.  I wrote that too late at night...

Paul

• Like 1

MBSki
2 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Oops.  Mea culpa - I was thinking the effect of tags was set per library, which it isn't.

Not a problem. I really wish it were set up that way. 🙂