Playback downloads on Windows PC? Or at least Download an entire series? (Inside Emby Theater)

Mkilbride

Mkilbride

So I got a Laptop for work recently. I used to use a Tablet to watch stuff from Emby. On Emby for Android I could download an entire series and play it back inside Emby itself.

I installed Emby Theater and saw the "Download" option and was excited, until it literally just downloads it to a folder to play it back like any file and not inside Emby Theater itself. Not ideal, but I thought ok, I can make it work - until I found out you can only do one download at a time. So for say, a 24 episode series, I'd need to download them one at a time. Annoying.  Also with this method, Progress wouldn't be tracked in Emby itself.

I tried installing Emby Server on the Laptop as well, but well, that just makes another server and doesn't work like it would on my phone or Tablet.  It makes more sense to just connect the Laptop to my PC and transfer the entire folder of a series over than use Emby. It's just a tiny bit more work, but it'd sure be nice to just have it work with  Emby.

Sounds like you installed Theater for Desktop.  There is also a Windows store version of Theater that is a bit different but it should do what you want.
Can you give that a try?

Mkilbride

And so it does. Why doesn't  Theater for Desktop support it?

Thanks by the way.

Edited by Mkilbride

They are different apps that were designed for different purposes originally.
With that said the goal is to unify them.

Glad you got this working BTW!

Mkilbride

Well I thought it was working, but today was the first day I had work since I got the laptop, and I ran into an issue, there's no internet access at my work, I started Emmy theater up, couldn't select my account like I would with the Android app, and when I tried to click the downloads folder, it just closes and reopens and theater.

Being a Microsoft Store App I don't know if this requires Internet access to function.

@ebr Do you know if this should work offline?

On 5/22/2021 at 2:43 AM, Mkilbride said:

Well I thought it was working, but today was the first day I had work since I got the laptop, and I ran into an issue, there's no internet access at my work, I started Emmy theater up, couldn't select my account like I would with the Android app, and when I tried to click the downloads folder, it just closes and reopens and theater.

@Luke do you have any ideas about this then?

The issue is you may have signed out of the app, which you can't do if you want to browse downloaded content. You need to stay signed and then the downloads library will use that sign in.

The app certainly needs to handle this better by preventing the shutdown and informing you about it.