Audio issue when playing Dolby TrueHD or Atmos

jsc1205

jsc1205

I have the current version of the Nvidia Shield Pro in our home theater room and I'm noticing when I select a movie that has either TrueHD or Atmos there is no sound.  Looking at my Denon receiver, nothing shows audio is being sent.  BUT....if I stop playback, go to another movie that does not have TrueHD or Atmos start it, stop and go back to the one that does, the audio plays and is registered on the receiver.  Have no idea why this is happening.  Any ideas?

Hi, what does SFN (stats for nerds) show on the Shield when you play this TrueHD or Atmos back?
Can you take a screen shot or pic of this?

Hi.  Does your receiver support TrueHD?  What are the audio settings in the Android device menu?

jsc1205
2 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, what does SFN (stats for nerds) show on the Shield when you play this TrueHD or Atmos back?
Can you take a screen shot or pic of this?

Will check and send the screen shot

1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Does your receiver support TrueHD?  What are the audio settings in the Android device menu?

Yes, my receiver does support TrueHD, Atmos, DTS X, etc etc.  Within the Shield Pro its set to pass everything to the receiver (recommended setting).

• Like 1

Is the Shield hooked to the Receiver or the TV?  Should be the receiver.

jsc1205

Shield is hooked up via HDMI to the HDMI input of my Oppo UPD-203 (to take advantage of its video processor) then out to my Denon receiver.

I have attached a photo of the Shield Pro audio settings.

First thing I tried was a Dolby Atmos movie and it played fine.  Then I went to a movie in DTS-HD 5.1 and got no audio (receiver was still showing Atmos from first movie - see screen shot for stats).  Then went to a TrueHD movie and still no audio (see stats screen shot).  Then went to a Dolby 2.0 and it played fine.  Next to a PCM movie, played fine.  Back to the TrueHD movie and this time it played fine.

I thought it might be a problem with switching between formats with Emby and sending the audio signal.  But I when I hooked up the Shield directly to the receiver, it appears the problem went away since I bounced between the same movies and each played back fine on first go.  

Was a handshake issue between everything with the Oppo in the middle?  Am I loosing anything by removing it from the chain??

20210520_162741.jpg

20210520_163058.jpg

20210520_163131.jpg

17 hours ago, jsc1205 said:

Was a handshake issue between everything with the Oppo in the middle?

That would be my guess.

17 hours ago, jsc1205 said:

Am I loosing anything by removing it from the chain??

If you cannot tell, then no :).