Exit doesn't 'exit'

justinrh

justinrh

When I try to leave Emby on my Shield, I'm prompted to confirm I want to 'exit'.  This is a deliberate action and deliberate language that I reasonably take to mean stop all Emby stuff and close the app.  But that is not the way it works.  Emby continues to run and play media, like music.  Why does it do that?  (If leaving the app doesn't close it, then why have a prompt for me to confirm that I want to 'exit'?)

Now, before you hammer me over the head with it is working as designed, just think about what 'exit' normally means in the software world.

vdatanet

You do not exit the application on Android TV, you send it to the background. Yes, the most purist thing would be to ask "Do you want to send the application to the background?" But it is not usual, the common thing is to ask if you want to exit.

Hi.  Yes, this is standard behavior with Android apps.  Just like on your phone, when you back out of something, it is really just moved to the background.  Continuing to play music when you back out is also standard behavior for music apps.

Does all that answer  your questions?

justinrh

Maybe.  I know on my Android tablet I can close the app via the app's X button, or I can put it to the background by minimizing all apps or switching to another app.  So, I'd equate the X button to Exit in this case.  Maybe Android TV doesn't have an equivalent to the close/X button functionality.

However, what you are saying is that all the installed apps run in the background all the time, and I don't think that really happens.  If I boot my Shield (from a powered off state), all 50 of my apps are running??

vdatanet
3 hours ago, justinrh said:

Maybe Android TV doesn't have an equivalent to the close/X button functionality.

Double press "Home" and select the app you want to kill.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, justinrh said:

However, what you are saying is that all the installed apps run in the background all the time, and I don't think that really happens.  If I boot my Shield (from a powered off state), all 50 of my apps are running??

Not until you start the app, but then yes.  Of course some apps do run all the time as they are designed to do that.

justinrh
17 hours ago, vdatanet said:

Double press "Home" and select the app you want to kill.

Thank you!

So, apps can be 'closed'.  The behavior is still a bit baffling to me.  Exit should be 'shut it down', IMHO.  If I'm playing a song and Exit, I expect it to be shut off.  As it is, I have to go back to Emby and stop the music then exit again.  If I wanted that behavior I'd just use the home button to leave Emby.

Maybe it is not a big deal, maybe I'm just a desktop guy, but that's my thought.

1 minute ago, justinrh said:

If I wanted that behavior I'd just use the home button to leave Emby.

Really the same thing as far as the app is concerned.

justinrh
4 minutes ago, cayars said:

Really the same thing as far as the app is concerned.

I think that is my point.  🙃

Complain to Google :)

But this is the way Android has worked since day one and has always been a selling point over iOS which was only able to run one app a time sort of like what you want.
Problem was that it was hard to get updates or do things in the background that way.

Android to me was far better because of this.  I could have a driving map in the background giving me audio to tell me how far to the next turn and when to turn etc.  Get weather alerts, etc.
Apps like Emby can sync/download in the background. I can play music with an app in the background while another app is in the front, etc...