Cannot resume on Samsung Smart tv

hamun8

hamun8

Hi

With some media files I have a playback issue. 

While watching let's say a movie. I stop the movie and turn off the tv. 

Next time when i go into the emby app on my Samsung TV i am not able to resume from where I left. I am half way but cannot resume the app just showing the loading ring for a few sec, and then closes the app.

Same file can also not fast forward.

Movie is not been transcoded.

I have even tried updating the app from store but it says it was the latest. Then i manually installed the latest using USB but still the same issue. 

Works fine from android phone. Issue is only on the Samsung TV App

Has anyone seen this issue? 

(Small log is after rotating the log. Large one before rotating)

Emby server v. 4.5.4.0

Samsung Emby client v. 1.0.96

embyserver.txt embyserver (1).txt

Edited by hamun8

hamun8

Hi Luke, 

Thanks for the quick reply. I do not follow what you mean with an example. The attached logs should show the example? 

Or are you thinking of media file info? 

SamES

I have seen this occur in particular files when there are issues with the container header.  Basically it doesn't know how to seek. Skip forward/back and resume don't work, it will always try to playback from the beginning.  This is not specifically a Samsung issue and would probably happen on most devices if DirectPlaying

If that is an mkv file, the easiest option is to use MKVToolNix to copy all the streams into a new file to fix it.  It will be a quick operation and won't affect the quality, but it should rewrite the header correctly

hamun8

I have not used that tool before, but I just tired using the option Multiplexer with default settings and created a new file.

But still same issue. No resume or fast forward.

Are there some setting i need to set? 

SamES

No, all the defaults should be fine.  So just make sure you are now playing the new file and not the old one.  If the new file has the same name as the old one, you will need to refresh the metadata for that file in Emby

hamun8

I have deleted the old files from the media folder and then used the plugin auto organize to add it again. 

Old folder containing media files were deleted so there should not be any old info. 

SamES

I think you should still use the option Refresh Metadata->Replace all Metadata in Emby on that file.

It is also possible that the actual video stream is damaged

hamun8

I just did that but still not working. 

If it is the stream that is damaged why is it working on my Android phone? 

Just now, hamun8 said:

Because different players on different devices are able to cope with certain things better than others.

The android player is more resilient to be able to handle that sort of thing, whereas the Samsung provided video player is not.

SamES
4 hours ago, hamun8 said:

Is the phone Direct Playing, Direct Streaming or Transcoding?

On 5/16/2021 at 1:55 PM, Luke said:

Because different players on different devices are able to cope with certain things better than others.

The android player is more resilient to be able to handle that sort of thing, whereas the Samsung provided video player is not.

@hamun8 I think this points to my previous explanation above. Is this happening with a lot of files, or only certain ones?