Sound Issue on Android

intranetsnob

intranetsnob

Hi,

On the latest update for Emby Android TV application from Google Playstore, the sound options have been removed.

This is a common problem on this forum but I have been asked to make another topic.

The issue:

- prior to updating, there is sound played on all audio format without needing to alter anything i.e. download the app and watch away

Now, the latest update = same content has no sound, this is defintely an app issue with the sound improvements, possibly now limiting it and making it harder.

Please review this and update to fix.

Thank you

intranetsnob

I also noticed, you guys now have put:

'Convert Unsupported Audio to Dolby Digital' <-- why is this an option?

Now users will have to manually go into settings to enable this causing inconvienence, can it not be like it was off the shelve it just works?

Hi.  Can we please look at the details from an example?  Also what device are you playing on and with what audio equipment?

4 hours ago, intranetsnob said:

'Convert Unsupported Audio to Dolby Digital' <-- why is this an option?

Because it causes server remuxing which many don't want.  So the app defaults to decoding the audio locally unless you ask it to involve the server in order to convert to Dolby.

dcook

This sounds like the same problem I am having which I have narrowed down to be specific to eAC3 audio types:

intranetsnob

Il put the example shortly

But the main point is, the last version of Emby just worked, there was no changes required, people download it, link there systems and it just works regardless of what format the Audio output 

Now, it does not so the way people have to go around it by changing settings.

If the device decoding it locally, should it not play all audio source ?

It's just a weird update released now to make extra work for users .

Edited by intranetsnob

It should just work but we need to look at the details of your issue to figure out why it isn't.

Thanks.

justinrh
6 hours ago, ebr said:

Because it causes server remuxing which many don't want.  So the app defaults to decoding the audio locally unless you ask it to involve the server in order to convert to Dolby.

Can you explain further?  I thought Emby by design always tries to decode any media locally.  Why would anyone not want to decode locally?  I thought that was one reason to have good hardware on the client.  I guess I'm missing something elementary.

I thought Emby by design always tries to decode any media locally.

Yes this is true.

15 hours ago, justinrh said:

Why would anyone not want to decode locally?

If your audio setup doesn't support DTS (for example) and also doesn't support a multi-channel PCM input (only the Shield connected to appropriate receiver will I believe) then a DTS track would end up as just stereo when locally decoded.  So, if you want surround sound in that situation, you turn on the option to convert to DD and you get much better sound.

• Like 1

justinrh
7 hours ago, ebr said:

If your audio setup doesn't support DTS (for example) and also doesn't support a multi-channel PCM input (only the Shield connected to appropriate receiver will I believe) then a DTS track would end up as just stereo when locally decoded.  So, if you want surround sound in that situation, you turn on the option to convert to DD and you get much better sound.

To make sure I understand, you are saying that I might have high-grade 10-point sound (on a 10 point scale) that would be downgraded to a 2pt (stereo) sound locally, but if I let the server transcode then I might get 5pt (DD) sound?  So even if the client can do better than 2pt, it doesn't know to do better?  Interesting.

justinrh
1 minute ago, cayars said:

That's if the client can't do it.

Oh, so you are saying the client may be able to play DD, but not be able to downgrade the source to DD?

• 2 weeks later...
intranetsnob

The solution to this sound issue which seems to be many post on the forum is downgrading to 1.8 version and not updating to the 2.0.

As the 2.0 will stop playback on your devices.

As mentioned, there is numerous post after the 2.0 on this forum stating the very thing I am.

The version I see that fixes the most issue people have seems to be the latest beta version.
I would definitely try the latest before trying to roll back.

justinrh
On 5/29/2021 at 12:28 AM, cayars said:

The version I see that fixes the most issue people have seems to be the latest beta version.

Looking at the release page, there is no indication it is beta.  How does a user get the beta version?

On a side note about the release page, it would be great if there were some dates associated with the releases...

Edited by justinrh

justinrh
13 hours ago, Luke said:

The title of the page he linked you to is release notes beta.

Doh!  I didn't see the word 'beta' anywhere before!  Sorry about that.

• Thanks 1

intranetsnob

Has anyone got the solution to this issue?

Version 2.0.09g on android box has the same issues as per the forum post, I am having to get people to downgrade to the AndroidTv 1.8.29g version as that just works off the shelve without needing any user-end configuration which is the biggest reason why we use it.

Please review your AndroidTv 1.8.29g and implement the same information to the new release.

i.e. issues:

1. App crashes on devices (older work works fine)

2. Sound is lost on numerous content (older version it just worked)

3. Latest version UI smoothness is not as good compared to the older one

Emby Server Backend version is 4.6.2.0 (even after the server upgrade) the issue is app version related, not server end.

Thank you.

Edited by intranetsnob

8 hours ago, intranetsnob said:

Has anyone got the solution to this issue?

Version 2.0.09g on android box has the same issues as per the forum post, I am having to get people to downgrade to the AndroidTv 1.8.29g version as that just works off the shelve without needing any user-end configuration which is the biggest reason why we use it.

Please review your AndroidTv 1.8.29g and implement the same information to the new release.

i.e. issues:

1. App crashes on devices (older work works fine)

2. Sound is lost on numerous content (older version it just worked)

3. Latest version UI smoothness is not as good compared to the older one

Emby Server Backend version is 4.6.2.0 (even after the server upgrade) the issue is app version related, not server end.

Thank you.

Hi.  Can we please look at specifics?  What device are you running on?

intranetsnob
On 08/06/2021 at 03:00, ebr said:

Hi.  Can we please look at specifics?  What device are you running on?

Hi Ebr,

On Shield TV - works

On Android TV - does not work

On Android Box - does not work

noting, all devices using Emby Android TV from Google (and has been for a long time) this is only since the recent update to 2.0.09g version that the issues started to appear.

Also some outlined issues, continue watching glitches, coming up next gone unless you force legacy option (so what I am saying, that emby just worked) now users have to go to specifics to sort or downgrade.

4 hours ago, intranetsnob said:

On Android TV - does not work

On Android Box - does not work

Hi.  Exactly what devices and exactly what does "does not work" mean?

Thanks.

intranetsnob

Hi Ebr,

Used the following devices:

1. Android Box (various chinese units)

2. Android Mi Box (official Android TV UI)

3. Android Phones

4. Apple TV

I have noticed this on the forum as well, where sound just does not work.

I will make it more specific but as of now, just downgraded app to the version 1.8 (working version)

By saying what 'does not work'

There has something changed in the audio settings from 1.8 version to 2.0.

It did not matter what audio format was on 1.8version of the app Emby Android TV from Google Playstore, the audio just worked regardless of format

Now the 2.0 version, the audio is selective, hence the off the shelve comment.

so something has changed (in the log for your updates, 2.0 says improved audio .... but maybe that has caused it not to work)

if that makes sense?

i.e. from a user-end perspective, I downloaded emby android tv version, it just works

now, latest 2.0 version, the content only plays certain audio formats not like it used to where same content plays on 1.8 version