Quadrubo

Quadrubo

Hello!
I'm recently wrote a Chrome Extension for me and my friends and thought I'd share it here. You can use it to synchronise your watching on Emby. Kinda like WatchParty.

Here's the Github link: https://github.com/Quadrubo/emby-sync-watch
Instructions on how to install / use: https://github.com/Quadrubo/emby-sync-watch#emby-sync-watch

If you have any question let me know. It's a bit janky because it's my first Chrome Extension and I didn't have any experience before making this. Feel free to use it however you like and have fun :)

I also need help designing a Logo for the Extension, my Design skills are awful and I don't think continuing to steal Embys Logo is the right way so if anyone has experience creating Logos please contact me, any help is appreciated :)

Changes

• Version 1.5
    • Extension
      • Bugfix: Fixed a bug where the Extension would not work at when the Emby Server language is set to anything other than english
  • Version 1.4
    • Extension
      • Improvement: After a connection failure, new connections can be made without reloading the Webpage
  • Version 1.3
    • Extension
      • New Feature: Profiles
        • You can save Profiles and load them to connect to different servers!
      • Improvement: Better output of the Server
  • Version 1.2
    • Extension
      • New Feature: Pressing in the middle of the screen to play / pause 
    • Server
      • New Feature: Changing of the Port is possible via the "port.json" file
      • Improvement: Better output of the Server
  • Version 1.1
    • Both
      • New Feature: Rewrite
      • Improvement: Clean up of Code
    • Server
      • New Feature: Supports connections over the Internet by forwarding a TCP Port
Edited by Quadrubo
new features
  • Like 3

Quadrubo
2 minutes ago, Hxemby001 said:

So this is like a watch party extension? w/node.js server?

Yes, you have to setup the server yourself and run it somewhere and then it's like watch party. just not very well made😅

This could be very popular during mass quarantine and lock-downs.. people were requesting this pretty heavily... may gain some interest..

Seems pretty easy... may seem complicated to some..

Integration into ZOOM is next :P 

Edited by Guest

Quadrubo
Just now, Hxemby001 said:

This could be very popular during mass quarantine and lock-downs.. people were requesting this pretty heavily... may gain some interest..

Seems pretty easy... may seem complicated to some..

If you have any suggestions on how to make this more accessible I'm open. It only works on local networks for me though. You'd have to do some port forwarding and stuff yourself if you'd want to use it over the internet. I don't think my node server is safe enough for that. My friends are using OpenVPN to connect to my Network and use it like that. Works great like that but setting that up is pretty hard aswell.

Quadrubo

I'm currently working on a new Version of the Server that supports joining in over the Internet. I'm going to make it a bit cleaner and a bit more Secure. Everything needed to get it to work is forwarding one Port. Think I can get it out later today :)

Good work... 👍  I will check this out when I have more time.. coming along though... There should be some users out there that will love this..

Edited by Guest

Quadrubo

I just released a few new features, I just edited the first post in this thread for better visibility :)

Adding 'Watch Party' and a few other tags may improve it too.. ( Teleparty, virtual, Lan Party anything to get it to show in searches increases exposure )

Edited by Guest

Quadrubo

v1.5 is out. Important for non english emby servers cause the extension wouldnt work on those at all before, look at the first post in this thread for changelog and details :)

• 2 years later...
asitz21
On 5/17/2021 at 1:33 PM, Quadrubo said:

Yep and any other chromium based browser :)

Sorry to revive this topic, but I recently stumbled upon your sync-watch server/extension and was excited to try it out. I'm pretty sure I set everything up successfully and was able to connect my PC (which is running Emby) on my home network to the sync-watch server as well as my laptop using a mobile hotspot connection and queued the same media file up on both computers in order to test the internet functionality. The cmd prompt for the sync-watch server showed two separate connections in the same room and I got the popup on both computers indicating that they were connected. However, neither computer was able to control the video for the other. I tried pausing, seeking forward and backwards, etc., but it only affected the playback on the computer I was working with. I originally tried the extension on Opera GX, but then tried it on Chrome as well to see if that was the issue. It didn't work on either for me. I sent a message to Quadrubo on the forums here and a Discord friend invite this morning. @Quadrubo, if there's anything you can think of that I might be doing incorrectly or if anyone else here who currently has this plugin working over the internet might have any pointers, I would appreciate it!