Question about My NAS DNS

mattsearle

mattsearle

I'm running emby 4.5.4.0 on my Synology DS918+ and it worked fine until yesterday lunchtime when we got a new hub from our ISP to get faster internet speed.

Since then, the server has two issues.

Firstly, the IP address showing for external access is wrong. If I go to that address, I get nothing. If I go to the right address, then I get to the server from outside the network. No big deal as I can change the IP address in the dashboard under Settings > Network so that it displays the right address. Just a minor thing that it's not picking up the right address by default to display.

Secondly, I have no access from the server to download trailers, metadata, subtitles etc. I can manually add metadata or download a subtitle file, put it in the right folder, rescan the folder and it will pick it up, but this should be automatic. Something must have changed with the new hub that's stopping it, but I have no idea where to look.

UPnP has automatically forwarded ports 8096 and 8920 and if I use my phone from outside the home network I can connect and play, so I've got no trouble getting into the box, but something is stopping the server from getting to the outside world for subtitles, trailers, metadata etc.

Any idea where to start??

mattsearle

Thanks, Luke - I fixed it

Firstly, I changed the DNS for the NAS to use 8.8.8.8 rather than the value in there, which enabled the downloads etc.

Then at some point today, the emby user was removed from the group to access the folder (no idea how!), so all I got was subtitles etc and no movies!

It's now playing things fine :)