Extremely slow initial scan

doctordri
Go to solution Solved by doctordri,

doctordri

It’s the first time I use Emby but it doesn’t work. I installed it on a DS920+ and it’s been scanning my TV Show library for 1 day and 1 night (24h) and it only scanned around 10 shows. I have around 150 shows, this will take more than two weeks just to find metadata on the shows.

Is it this bad, or am I doing something wrong?

BaukeZwart

I think something is not right.
I have Emby on a DS920+ in a Docker container, currently around 40 shows and initial scan was done in minutes.
Not sure what you could be doing wrong.

Several things could be effecting your scan.. What is your indicator thus far.. knowing it has done 10 shows?

I assume connected via LAN.. doing any other file operations of the machine t the same time? - over network?

Do you have a log file to review during the scan that was initialized? - please :) 

Hi, it really depends on what features you've enabled in your library options. Every feature comes with a cost. If you can attach an emby server log, then we can offer suggestions about what you can change for a faster initial scan:

Thanks.

• Solution
doctordri

I deactivated the “Video preview thumbnails” option to “Never” and now the scan goes much faster. So we can consider this issue solved.

As a side note, the DS920+ CPU use was very low even when the preview thumbnails scan was going on.

Hi, did you make sure to read the help text underneath the option before enabling it?

doctordri
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, did you make sure to read the help text underneath the option before enabling it?

Of course I did. Did I think that it was going to make the scan take one month? No. I had to activate and deactivate different things to find out what the problem was. Other services similar to Emby don't take so long to obtain the thumbnails. Or rather, they do, but the metadata and creation of shows happens fast while the generation of thumbnails goes slowly in the background.

Anyways, it works now. I'll let the scan complete and the library be created, and then I'll activate the thumbnails thing again

4 minutes ago, doctordri said:

Of course I did. Did I think that it was going to make the scan take one month? No. I had to activate and deactivate different things to find out what the problem was. Other services similar to Emby don't take so long to obtain the thumbnails. Or rather, they do, but the metadata and creation of shows happens fast while the generation of thumbnails goes slowly in the background.

Anyways, it works now. I'll let the scan complete and the library be created, and then I'll activate the thumbnails thing again

LOL... Using the online services to grab these images where available is the fastest method.. does take a little more time.. than not doing it at all, but not he same as generating thumbnails from the files themselves..