Sony X90CJ (X90J) not able to pass Atmos/DTS-HD??

sjlcjl

sjlcjl

Got a new X90CJ that works and looks great...  Installed the Emby app and it passes DST audio just fine over to my AV Recevier

When I go to play Atmos videos it shows "TRUEHD (software decode)" under the Audio Codec in Stats For Nerds..

It's only sending 2 channel audio to my AVR...

I can turn on transcode for unsupported codecs and it gets transcoded to DTS..

Is there something I'm missing feature wise or is this a known issue?

TV and AVR will do Atmos from my Shield that is hooked directly to the TV, so it has the capability to pass the Atmos audio for sure...

Thanks for any assistance!

Hi.  The Shield supports TrueHD but that device doesn't.

TrueHD and Atmos are two different things.

sjlcjl

So you are saying the TV doesn't support which then?  

If the TV can support Dolby Atmos via TrueHD via eARC then doesn't it support both?  

Edited by sjlcjl

8 minutes ago, sjlcjl said:

If the TV can support Dolby Atmos via TrueHD via eARC

I don't believe we've identified a TV that does that at this point.

They all market support for "Dolby Atmos" but that is because all the major streaming providers are delivering that as Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos.  The only place you're going to find TrueHD tracks are on discs and the TVs don't play those.

sjlcjl

That's where I'm losing the whole thing...

The Shield can bitstream the same movie through the TV to my AVR via eARC no problem...

Shouldn't then the Emby app be able to bitstream to my AVR via eARC as well with the app on the TV itself?

I don't need the TV to do anything other than pass it along..  Not play it.. :)

2 minutes ago, sjlcjl said:

The Shield can bitstream the same movie through the TV to my AVR via eARC no problem...

Yes, the Shield has support for bitstreaming TrueHD.  I'm pretty sure it is the only Android device that does at this point.

2 minutes ago, sjlcjl said:

Shouldn't then the Emby app be able to bitstream to my AVR via eARC as well with the app on the TV itself?

Unfortunately, no.  The built-in Android in the TV cannot send the raw TrueHD stream.

To confirm all of this you could send a log from the app right after starting playback of one of these items on the TV.

• Like 1

sjlcjl

Thanks for the quick reply's..

Bummer, I was hoping to be able to get rid of the Shield and just use the internal app...

I've attached the requested log...

Thanks again..

embyserver.txt

Hi.  I would need to see the log from the app, not the server.  Instructions are in that document.  Thanks.

Yeah, the TV reports support for DD and DD+ but not TrueHD.  I don't think there are any TVs that will actually send that from the internal Android system.

sjlcjl

Well there you have it.. :)  

Thank you for your time and looking in to this..

Guess I'll just turn on the transcoding..  Does transcoding of Atmos get done correctly to preserve the height channels?

1 minute ago, sjlcjl said:

Does transcoding of Atmos get done correctly to preserve the height channels?

No, I'm afraid not.  That is a proprietary Dolby format and it only can be delivered on DD+ and TrueHD anyway.  Any audio conversion on the server would be to plain DD.

sjlcjl
26 minutes ago, ebr said:

No, I'm afraid not.  That is a proprietary Dolby format and it only can be delivered on DD+ and TrueHD anyway.  Any audio conversion on the server would be to plain DD.

That makes sense..  Guess I'll just use my Shield for all Emby related things then..  So close to not needing it...

At least the TV will pass whatever the Shield sends...

Thank you once more!

• Like 1