Emby Theater Linux Playback Stuttering

rechigo

rechigo

I am having issues playing back video in Emby Theater for Linux. The playback keeps stuttering with my 4k HDR content. My laptop here has hardware support for both Intel and Nvidia, there is no reason this shouldn't be playing back smoothly from a hardware standpoint. Please let me know if you need more information to help diagnose this issue. The playback is fine when I disable hardware accel, but when I turn it back to auto it starts stuttering. 

Media info:

image.png.db56eeaf78e5afc2d9878620358401fb.png

Stats for nerds:

image.png.a0d5e3910bea8bb1ebb48acfd243a634.png

Edited by rechigo

Hi, happen to notice there is no video bitrate being shown.

Do you have this same problem on all of your 4K HDR media?

rechigo
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Hi, happen to notice there is no video bitrate being shown.

Do you have this same problem on all of your 4K HDR media?

I have not tested every 4k HDR video, but the ones I have tested have suffered from this. If needed I can test more.

Edited by rechigo

Could you post the same info as before for a different 4K HDR vid?

rechigo
1 hour ago, cayars said:

What are the laptop specs?

Model: MSI gl62m 7rex

12gb ddr4

1050ti 4gb

7700hq

Running xubuntu 20.04

You know it is strange how this happens.. it is like there is an issue with how using the hardware is called.. or used.. its sort of crosses platforms apps and playback methods.

Have you tried turning off any kind of Playback acceleration or hardware acceleration on the client? - Just to see if straightens out..

rechigo
1 minute ago, Hxemby001 said:

You know it is strange how this happens.. it is like there is an issue with how using the hardware is called.. or used.. its sort of crosses platforms apps and playback methods.

Have you tried turning off any kind of Playback acceleration or hardware acceleration on the client? - Just to see if straightens out..

I did try disabling hardware acceleration, which did fix the problem, however that just makes my CPU hover at around 40-60% which I don't want to deal with. iirc this same issue was happening on Windows too, I ended up just playing it in the browser because the new MS Edge has quite good codec support compared to other browsers and was able to play my 4k hdr content without needing to transcode.

Mine, with default settings and HEVC plugin, stutters or rapidly goes back and forth.. GPU only uses 10% or less... It usually gets me on HEVC even at 1080p. 4K Stutters and used 26-ish %...

If I disable hardware acceleration it transcodes and is fine, but I deal with high CPU usage from FFMPEG.. no GPU usage.. 4K HEVC just locks up the tab.. doesn't play, doesn't even start.

If I turn the acceleration back on and use an old version of the HEVC plugin.. ( 1.0.3 I think ) works fine.. but I have to fix it every time the browser updates...

rechigo
1 hour ago, Hxemby001 said:

Mine, with default settings and HEVC plugin, stutters or rapidly goes back and forth.. GPU only uses 10% or less... It usually gets me on HEVC even at 1080p. 4K Stutters and used 26-ish %...

If I disable hardware acceleration it transcodes and is fine, but I deal with high CPU usage from FFMPEG.. no GPU usage.. 4K HEVC just locks up the tab.. doesn't play, doesn't even start.

If I turn the acceleration back on and use an old version of the HEVC plugin.. ( 1.0.3 I think ) works fine.. but I have to fix it every time the browser updates...

What also works is the new Jellyfin desktop client, it plays back with hardware acceleration perfectly fine, zero lag, even with a 60 mbps hevc file (highest one in my library I could find), so this is definitely not a hardware limitation.