Emby Guide Data identifies some shows as repeats even though they are new

sward

sward

Hello - for the next week or so, the Emby Guide Data is incorrectly identifying several "The 11th Hour with Brian Williams" episodes as repeat shows, and wasn't even going to record them until I changed the record setting from "new episodes only" to "all episodes". The guide data is showing these broadcasts as repeats from the previous day, which doesn't make sense and is factually incorrect. Examples include tonight's and tomorrow night's episodes.

Hi, can you give us a couple of screen shots showing what info you see for these episodes?

That will help us report this for correction.

OK now the second part of the question. How do you know these aren't actually repeat shows?

pwhodges

It's a daily topical show with the broadcast time literally in the title.  TVDB shows that episode as originally aired on the date of the screen capture.

I don't know how shows like that work in the US with multiple timezones - could it be broadcast at 11pm in successive timezones so that all except one are technically repeats?

Paul

sward
1 hour ago, cayars said:

OK now the second part of the question. How do you know these aren't actually repeat shows?

Easy - when I noticed yesterday that the show wasn't scheduled to record, I changed the recording criteria to "all episodes" thinking that would take care of it, however there were additional hurdles to jump through. When I woke up this morning, I didn't see the new recording through the Emby interface (despite it being scheduled), but after looking in the recording folder I noticed a "The 11th Hour With Brian Williams S2021E88-1.ts" filename which had been created overnight, which makes sense if you accept that I recorded a re-run. In order to view this recording through Emby, I deleted the original "The 11th Hour With Brian Williams S2021E88.ts" file from two nights ago, and removed the '-1' from this new recording. After watching this file, I can assure you it isn't a rerun. This is a news program after all, and I seriously doubt anybody would watch reruns of any kind. It's true that the host occasionally takes time off (like last night), however someone is always filling in for him.

pünktchen

The Emby guide only shows what the guide source delivers and that is out of Emby's control. Or in other words: if the guide source has wrong data, it's also wrong in Emby.

sward
1 hour ago, pwhodges said:

It's a daily topical show with the broadcast time literally in the title.  TVDB shows that episode as originally aired on the date of the screen capture.

I don't know how shows like that work in the US with multiple timezones - could it be broadcast at 11pm in successive timezones so that all except one are technically repeats?

Paul

I agree with you: episode#89 is supposed to air for the first time at 11 PM EST on May 6th (tonight), however according to the Emby screen capture, this is already a repeat. Same for tomorrow night's episode (second screen capture above). As far as I know, this is broadcast simultaneously across time zones in the US, and in fact that was mentioned in last night's show 🙂 So if it airs at 11PM EST, it will simultaneously air at 8PM PST.

Some additional information: most airings next week are showing in the schedule as "live" except for Wednesday and Thursday, which are again showing as "repeat".

sward
4 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

The Emby guide only shows what the guide source delivers and that is out of Emby's control. Or in other words: if the guide source has wrong data, it's also wrong in Emby.

So what is the Emby Guide source, and how do we fix that?

Spaceboy

i see this regularly with daily shows (soaps) in the UK. unfortunately you just need to accept that the repeat flag is unreliable and work around it some way

Spaceboy

eg none of these are repeats, on right now

image.thumb.png.865e0f79355ffa8afcd4b1d7ee847512.png

point in complaining about it to the guide provider - none

actually i seem to remember we did raise it at one point in the past. nothing was done

Edited by Spaceboy

sward
1 minute ago, Spaceboy said:

i see this regularly with daily shows (soaps) in the UK. unfortunately you just need to accept that the repeat flag is unreliable and work around it some way

what is the Emby Guide source, and how do we fix that?  

sward
Just now, Spaceboy said:

eg none of these are repeats, on right now

image.thumb.png.865e0f79355ffa8afcd4b1d7ee847512.png

point in complaining about it to the guide provider - none

I disagree - with Schedules Direct you can complain and they will fix stuff.

Spaceboy
Just now, sward said:

I disagree - with Schedules Direct you can complain and they will fix stuff.

this is from schedules direct 😂

sward

Are you saying Schedules Direct is feeding the Emby Guide Data? I received an email from Schedules Direct saying they will be cutting off Emby customers in June of this year:

"Schedules Direct is licensed by Gracenote to provide data to only non-commercial (hobbyist) applications.  Two years ago, Emby decided to go commercial with the release of Emby Premier.  We wish them well in their new endeavor, but unfortunately, SD cannot feed data to their application.  Emby notified their users and we gave them time to migrate to their own Gracenote feed.  We didn't realize that some people continued to use data from us. On June 1, 2021 we will block the Emby application from the SD-JSON service."

sward
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

This is what I get
image.thumb.png.88bbad7c023a0da4cb5a5545eb70423c.png

That actually looks correct, but I moved off Schedules Direct a couple months ago after receiving the aforementioned email. I believe the 'native' Emby Guide Data is sourced elsewhere, and isn't always as accurate.

Spaceboy

when i referred to complaining in the past and no action being taken that was to Schedules Direct.

Also i still get my guide data from Schedules Direct using the epg123 and xmltv function. i prefer the control it gives me over epg matching

Spaceboy
1 minute ago, sward said:

That actually looks correct, but I moved off Schedules Direct a couple months ago after receiving the aforementioned email. I believe the 'native' Emby Guide Data is sourced elsewhere, and isn't always as accurate.

it all comes from the same source. Emby and SD get their data from Gracenote

sward
17 minutes ago, cayars said:

Correct as @Spaceboy said and what I showed above is from Emby Guide Data.

Regarding your screenshot, which setting are you using? "new episodes only" or "all episodes"?

51 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

it all comes from the same source. Emby and SD get their data from Gracenote

And, GN, in turn, is at the mercy of the station providing accurate data.  I think in the case of shows that pop out this regularly whatever intern at whichever station is responsible for the data isn't always 100% "on" :).

We can try to report these to GN but it is probably an ongoing problem that is hard to completely snuff out.

This is a case where purely time based recordings would work around this type of issue as no guide data would factor into the decision of what to record.

Spaceboy
47 minutes ago, ebr said:

And, GN, in turn, is at the mercy of the station providing accurate data.  I think in the case of shows that pop out this regularly whatever intern at whichever station is responsible for the data isn't always 100% "on" :).

We can try to report these to GN but it is probably an ongoing problem that is hard to completely snuff out.

yeah i don't remember the precise response when we raised it with SD on that precise show in my screenshot but i think it was along those lines. they were publishing what the network was telling them to even though it was obviously wrong. and still unfixed 3-4 years later