Jump to content

Issues with Q90T and Samsung Frame TVs (2020 models)


Recommended Posts

SamES

I am wondering why these are transcoding?  Log says video codec not supported, which I don't think is right, I will check tonight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Paint
3 hours ago, SamES said:

So these logs look better.  Did they play fine or still stop?

Still are timing out....

 

This is me changing the codec to medium, max cpu used for transcoding and I put 999mbps for max server bandwidth (I have gigabit). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Paint

Im happy to get on a zoom or something to help debug this issue

Link to post
Share on other sites
SamES

I can't see why this is being an issue, but a couple of observations.

  • These server logs (and your previous) seem to be massive considering that debug logging is off.  The frequency of some of these messages is really quick, so I'm wondering if the server is being swamped.
    • LibraryMonitor seems to be executing a lot of library refreshes, often multiple the same item times in an hour.  Any idea why this is the case?  Are you copying lots of stuff to the server with real-time monitoring turned on?
  • Is the server you are connecting to local or remote?  From the logs, it looks like it is remote.  Is that correct?
    • Assuming that it is remote, what is the internet connection like?  I'm not just talking speed, but what about quality (latency, dropped packets, etc). The buffer on the Samsung is not big, so if packets are being dropped it hasn't got much stored up to go on with.  Devices like FireTV probably buffer more, so can better handle any disruptions..
  • Is there anything else about your setup that might be considered 'non-standard' or configured differently from the defaults?
  • Do you have any non-standard transcoding parameters?  Can you go back to these defaults and see what happens?

image.thumb.png.a174dcefde2ad47f829e88bf86caef96.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
Paint
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SamES said:

I can't see why this is being an issue, but a couple of observations.

  • These server logs (and your previous) seem to be massive considering that debug logging is off.  The frequency of some of these messages is really quick, so I'm wondering if the server is being swamped.
    • LibraryMonitor seems to be executing a lot of library refreshes, often multiple the same item times in an hour.  Any idea why this is the case?  Are you copying lots of stuff to the server with real-time monitoring turned on?
  • Is the server you are connecting to local or remote?  From the logs, it looks like it is remote.  Is that correct?
    • Assuming that it is remote, what is the internet connection like?  I'm not just talking speed, but what about quality (latency, dropped packets, etc). The buffer on the Samsung is not big, so if packets are being dropped it hasn't got much stored up to go on with.  Devices like FireTV probably buffer more, so can better handle any disruptions..
  • Is there anything else about your setup that might be considered 'non-standard' or configured differently from the defaults?
  • Do you have any non-standard transcoding parameters?  Can you go back to these defaults and see what happens?

image.thumb.png.a174dcefde2ad47f829e88bf86caef96.png

 

I agree that the logs are massive given that debugging is off. However, during my tests, I am the only user streaming or perhaps 1 other additional user. 

Library monitoring is enabled for real-time. I am using a 24x SAS hardware with cachecade and bcache in front of the storage array, which allows me to write up to 2GB per second and have increased random IO. Yes, new files are coming in throughout the day and the only other process that changes files is TinyMediaManager that runs hourly to add metadata/move files etc. 

During these tests, I am connecting remotely to my server that is hosted on my FiOS gigabit connection. My internet at the streaming source ( where the samsung TVs are) is gigabit cable internet. The internet is rock solid at the server and relatively solid at the client/streaming side. No significant buffer float or latency issues on either side overall. 

Nothing regarding my setup is non-standard, besides the fact that I use nginx as a reverse proxy in front of Emby. Everything else is configured standard to an emby install. 

Nothing regarding encoding parameters are non-standard. I will change the transcoding settings back to what you suggested in the screenshot. 

 

If you could let me know your availability for a zoom, we can debug the issue in real-time. Thank you. 

 

Overall, I think the issue is related to the very small buffer samsungTVs have versus the firestick. What is interesting though is that Netflix and PrimeTV streaming directly on the SamsungTVs have no issues whatsoever (no buffering or lag). Firesticks also work fine for emby or other streaming content. The only issue I am facing is using the Emby app on the SamsungTVs directly. 

 

Edited by Paint
Link to post
Share on other sites
SamES
8 hours ago, Paint said:

If you could let me know your availability for a zoom, we can debug the issue in real-time. Thank you. 

 

Overall, I think the issue is related to the very small buffer samsungTVs have versus the firestick. What is interesting though is that Netflix and PrimeTV streaming directly on the SamsungTVs have no issues whatsoever (no buffering or lag). Firesticks also work fine for emby or other streaming content. The only issue I am facing is using the Emby app on the SamsungTVs directly. 

These apps all use their own customised streaming players with larger buffers, and their streaming sources are heavily customised to ensure the best experience with their own player. As Emby always tries to use the native players and only modifies the media on the fly if required, on one hand it becomes a bit of a compromise but allows the greatest range of device compatibility with the least impact on the original media.

I'm not sure that we can achieve much over a zoom session.  We just need to work through a process of elimination.

From the location where the tv is, can you please ping the remote server, let it run for a minute or two (depending on your os you will need to work out the best way to ping continuously) and put the output in a file.  You can PM that to me instead of posting it.

Then try turning off TinyMediaManager as a test and try playback again. 

I'm also wondering whether the reverse proxy could be an issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
CharlieMurphy

Maybe you are filling the cache of the reverse proxy? I think I had this happen once and the nginx logs from the reverse proxy were the key to figuring that out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Paint
36 minutes ago, CharlieMurphy said:

Maybe you are filling the cache of the reverse proxy? I think I had this happen once and the nginx logs from the reverse proxy were the key to figuring that out.

Hi Charlie, 

what settings for nginx would these be to turn off caching? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Paint
2 hours ago, SamES said:

These apps all use their own customised streaming players with larger buffers, and their streaming sources are heavily customised to ensure the best experience with their own player. As Emby always tries to use the native players and only modifies the media on the fly if required, on one hand it becomes a bit of a compromise but allows the greatest range of device compatibility with the least impact on the original media.

I'm not sure that we can achieve much over a zoom session.  We just need to work through a process of elimination.

From the location where the tv is, can you please ping the remote server, let it run for a minute or two (depending on your os you will need to work out the best way to ping continuously) and put the output in a file.  You can PM that to me instead of posting it.

Then try turning off TinyMediaManager as a test and try playback again. 

I'm also wondering whether the reverse proxy could be an issue.

Pings for 2 minutes range from 12-14ms. I am only a few miles away from the host (NYC -> Brooklyn)

Link to post
Share on other sites
CharlieMurphy
32 minutes ago, Paint said:

Hi Charlie, 

what settings for nginx would these be to turn off caching? 

I corrected it by mounting the cache folder it was using to a different place that had more space, so it no longer filled. That folder was /var/lib/nginx/tmp for me.

This probably isn't your issue but it's definitely worth looking at the nginx logs too, I wasted some time looking elsewhere and it was so clear when I opened that log.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Paint
2 minutes ago, CharlieMurphy said:

I corrected it by mounting the cache folder it was using to a different place that had more space, so it no longer filled. That folder was /var/lib/nginx/tmp for me.

This probably isn't your issue but it's definitely worth looking at the nginx logs too, I wasted some time looking elsewhere and it was so clear when I opened that log.

thank you for the suggestion. my cache folder is empty for nginx because I have that off. I also have 668gb free on my main drive for ubuntu

Link to post
Share on other sites

What else can I provide to debug this issue further? Im a long time emby premium user and donated for an additional user license. I am only having this issue with the Samsung Emby app on two brand new TVs. No issues with chrome, fire sticks, Android's or IPhones. 

Is the answer just to give up on the Samsung Emby app?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2021 at 10:02 PM, Paint said:

Try setting your server transcoding options back to default and see if that helps:

>>>>>  Non-Default Encoder Parameters
Warning EncoderParametersH264LibX.Preset: Original: veryfast Actual: medium

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

Try setting your server transcoding options back to default and see if that helps:



>>>>>  Non-Default Encoder Parameters
Warning EncoderParametersH264LibX.Preset: Original: veryfast Actual: medium

 

I changed the setting back to the default and it has made no difference - the issue remains. 

 

My transcoding options were at the standard, default settings from the start of this thread. I only changed them in the later logs to see if it made a difference, which it has not. 

Screenshot_20210506-002024_Emby.jpg

Edited by Paint
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SamES said:

Then try turning off TinyMediaManager as a test and try playback again. 

Please give this a go. 

If that doesn't work, can you setup a virtual machine on the same server and configure a very basic emby server instance with default settings and see how that behaves?

If you want to configure a user account for me with access to a couple of test files in a library you can PM me the login details and I will test playback and see what result I get.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SamES said:

Please give this a go. 

If that doesn't work, can you setup a virtual machine on the same server and configure a very basic emby server instance with default settings and see how that behaves?

If you want to configure a user account for me with access to a couple of test files in a library you can PM me the login details and I will test playback and see what result I get.

Hi @SamES, I disabled TinyMediaManager and it hasnt made a difference with streaming. I can try setting up a parallel basic Emby server to see if that makes a difference (removing nginx as a reverse proxy mainly)

Happy to give you a login to my server so you can test. Ill try and set this up for you later. Thank you very much

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...