Ability to create "Clips"

cnstarz

cnstarz

I have a bunch of scenes in movies that I like to watch when I'm testing or demoing my home theater. Depending on what I'm testing or demoing (picture, color, surround sound, etc.) I will use different movie scenes. 

For instance, for surround sound, I'll play the following:

* John Wick (chapter 7)

* Wall-E (chapter 22)

* The Matrix (chapter 30)

* Baby Driver (chapter 1)

Right now, I have to resort to going into the first movie, select the chapter, skip forward to the scene I wanna show (I often don't want to play the whole chapter), wait til the scene ends, exit the movie, navigate to the next movie and repeat. 

What would be awesome is if we could go into a movie or show or whatever, and in the menu for that media title there would be a "Create Clip..." option where you can specify the Start Time (either manually enter it or select a chapter), the Stop Time (either manually enter it, type in a duration, or select a chapter), and give the clip a name. Then you hit the "Create Clip" button. This won't literally create a new video clip, but it would create some kind of Metadata file that Emby reads that tells it which media file to play, the start time, and the duration. After creating a bunch of clips (from the same movie or different movies), you can then create a regular Playlist and add these "clips" to it. 

Boom, you now have a nice Playlist of specific movie scenes that will play automatically. 

Hi, do you actually want a new file, or do you just want the ability to play certain portions of a video?

cnstarz

Not a new video file. I imagine it would be a tiny metadata file that tells Emby what media title to play, what location in the media file to start playing at, and where to stop playing at. 

My vision is that the Emby home page would display a section called "Clips" or "Scenes" that looks similar to any other library, and that these clips/scenes are treated the same as any other media title. Clicking on the "Clips/Scenes" section will display all your clips/scenes (either grouped together by Title or just list all of them) just like any other library. 

Clicking on a specific Clip/Scene takes you to its page where it shows you the media title that it's for, the start and end time, and the total duration of the clip/scene. This page could have menu options to edit the clip/scene, create another clip/scene from the same title, delete the clip/scene, add the clip/scene to a Playlist, and go to its media title. I supposed you'd have to take into account different versions of the media title if any exist (720p, 1080p, 4K, etc.). 

To create a Clip/Scene, go to the media title's page and choose the option "Create Clip/Scene". From there, a form loads where you can give the clip/scene a name, specify a starting point either by selecting a chapter or typing in a time, specify a stopping point either by selecting a chapter or specify a time or duration, and choose which version of the media title to play (ex: 1080p or 4K) if different versions exist.

Again this all just what I envision, obviously you would implement it however you want.