Raise your hand who wants support for HLS fMP4

vdatanet

vdatanet

🙋‍♂️

The problems of HEVC streaming that remux requires would end and we could have support for MKV HEVC direct streaming in the native Apple TV player.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

samuelqwe

It would be definitely be nice to have.

Edited by samuelqwe

MagicDoubleM

It would also allow live-transcoding to HEVC and that then allows us to keep HDR10 instead of always falling back to SDR. Also allows to use EAC3 for audio-transcodes.

vdatanet
Just now, Sammy said:

So it is os agnostic.. works on AndroidTV too?

Yes it should. It should work with any device compatible with HLS fMP4.

326195116_Capturadepantalla2021-04-26150329.png.9991ac71d194405945dd5651219ff705.png

vdatanet
5 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Where would I find out if MiBox s supports HLS fMP4?

MiBox uses Exoplayer, so it should support HLS fMP4

We would like to get here but you guys are making some assumptions about the benefits of this that are not necessarily true in the current environment.  Currently, I believe only very limited platforms and situations would benefit.  This is still on our to do list though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MagicDoubleM
1 hour ago, Sammy said:

So there was 6 months of Tone Mapping development by @softworkz for naught?

I hope not..

Na, of course not. There are enough scenarios where HDR>SDR is necessary, and that's better be done on the server. But adding HEVC to such cases would also make a difference.

vdatanet
2 hours ago, Sammy said:

So there was 6 months of Tone Mapping development by @softworkz for naught?

I hope not..

There's nothing to do with tone mapping. I'm talking about of hevc streaming (without transcoding) for a couple of situations:

1. Devices that not support HLS MPEGTS HEVC streaming as Apple TV
  2. Deliver HEVC content that requires remux using HLS fMP4 instead of HLS MPEGTS

Edited by vdatanet

A while ago, I have posted a pretty comprehensive response on that subject. There's another one regarding transcoding to HEVC. Maybe somebody can look them up. I'm giving pretty detailed reasoning regarding the use of those technologies from my point of view.

6 hours ago, ebr said:

We would like to get here

I wouldn't like to get there as long as it can be avoided in some way. One reason for the currently high level of stability in playback and transcoding is that we have reduced  and streamlined the range of cases to handle - i.e. the opposite of "a little bit of this here and a little bit of that there.."

On 4/24/2021 at 11:43 PM, MagicDoubleM said:

It would also allow live-transcoding to HEVC and that then allows us to keep HDR10

A small sentence, but you'll likely have no idea how many weeks of work would be involved with that task; it won't even be possible to get this working in all cases. There are a lot of "wholes" in the various implementations (hw + sw codecs + ffmpeg).

A general misconception is to think that it's pretty easy after you have got an ffmpeg command line working. But that's not the work, it's just the first hour and all the rest is about making it work always and everywhere.

6 hours ago, ebr said:

but you guys are making some assumptions about the benefits of this that are not necessarily true in the current environment.

Couldn't agree more!

7 hours ago, ebr said:

Currently, I believe only very limited platforms and situations would benefit

If at all - and then there's the question of whether it's worth to pay the price in everyday use.

That's a good summary and I'm going to close this request because I think it makes much more sense for feature requests to be for end user functionality (e.g. support HDR playback for MKV on Apple TV) rather than for a specific technical implementation that may or may not provide useful functionality (e.g. this specific request).