Moving Emby to New Server

cpdigger31

cpdigger31

Yeah, ok, I know there are 14 million of these threads and I have read a bunch, but something is not right.

I reinstalled Emby, and then I copied all the files from my old AppData->Romain-Emby Server over to the new machine and fired it up.  No libraries, no users, no nothin'. (sad face)

What am I missing?

Hello cpdigger31,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

cpdigger31

Yep, all those files are there.

It is like the new installation is not reading the contents of the folders.

is there a parameter that it causing it to ignore the entries?  PC name, user name?  Should I copy the files and then install or visa vera?

Would you like me to do a remote session with you for a few minutes and look over your setup and see if I can recommend anything?

This is on Windows correct?

cpdigger31

yes it is.

Let me uninstall and reinstall and see if that fixes anything.  Barring that, if you are willing, heck yeah!

I have a TON of content and would hate to start over

As long as you have all the original folders backed up I should be able to help.
By all means give it another try but feel free to send me a PM for help remotely.

BackOrifice
8 hours ago, cpdigger31 said:

Much appreciated, in touch shortly one way or another

Why bother playing with it when cayars can help, guy has over 12k posts lol.

Satisfaction of doing it yourself and figuring out what was wrong.  I can admire that for sure.

Not just post count (not that it matters), but I work for Emby as well so it's official support being offered.

He reached out to me via PM but it's already past midnight his time so we may do this tomorrow or when he's ready.

BackOrifice
5 hours ago, cayars said:

Satisfaction of doing it yourself and figuring out what was wrong.  I can admire that for sure.

Not just post count (not that it matters), but I work for Emby as well so it's official support being offered.

He reached out to me via PM but it's already past midnight his time so we may do this tomorrow or when he's ready.

You seem like a legit guy playa, 12k post count hell I trust ya 🤪

• Haha 1

cpdigger31

The only reason I wanted to mess with it myself for a bit was to make sure I wasn't doing something dumb, and I was working on setting up the new pc all day and was burned out and exhausted.  I also had real life stuff going on that would inevitably get in the way of a support session.

I will reach out again shortly when I have everything ready to go and a small block of time I know will be uninterrupted.

Honestly, the emby staff impresses me.

Yep, it's good stuff, magical at times. :)

Don't pressure yourself.  Whenever you are ready.

cpdigger31

Great tech support, really appreciate the service.  It is things like this that make customers for life.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
jriker1

Old thread but part of the same.  If I backed up my current system and already setup the new system, logged into it and the like do I have to redo it?  Looking at this:

Install Emby on the new machine as you normally would. When the startup wizard launches in the browser, do not complete it and instead shut down the server.

So I've already gotten past the wizard and at the main screen with no libraries.

1 hour ago, jriker1 said:

Old thread but part of the same.  If I backed up my current system and already setup the new system, logged into it and the like do I have to redo it?  Looking at this:

Install Emby on the new machine as you normally would. When the startup wizard launches in the browser, do not complete it and instead shut down the server.

So I've already gotten past the wizard and at the main screen with no libraries.

@jriker1 and then what did you do after that? Did you use the backup plugin to restore from your backup?

jriker1

Not yet, just used the plugin on the "old" system so have a backup.  Complicated but I have an attached JBOD so it's still attached to the old system as the E: drive for the movies.  The new system doesn't have an E: drive yet as it's not attached to it.  Would it be OK to do the restore before I attach the JBOD to the new system or should I wait until the new system can actually see the movies in their original location?

Guessing from your response Luke that restoring the backup after the fact is fine since nothing was really setup yet.

I would first configure the machine/environment, so you have the same paths available with proper permissions.

I would copy all the main subdirectories from old to new system. This would include the cache, metadata config, data directories at the least.

What I actually do is a clean install to look at the directory layout. If both locations are the same under EmbyServer I mass copy everything from EmbyServer down to the new server.
I would then check and setup permissions and ownership if needed.
Once that's done I would reinstall the EmbyServer package again to overwrite any executables or DLLs in case we go from Windows to Linux or similar.

If done correctly and you have already setup the environment to look the same path wise you should be able to start the server and it works. If you can't match things exactly doing a full library scan should fix that and make whatever changes are needed.
I'd then go to database menu, set the memory used for caching as well as enable optimization for the next server restart.

It really shouldn't be a hard process if you have access to both the existing and new machine.

Carlo

jriker1

Thanks Carlo, @cayars

Guess I'm turning off the old server, taking it out of the rack, installing the new rails and installing the new server.  Then connect it to the JBOD array and pray I didn't miss anything. :)

When you refer to "EmbyServer" are we talking:

C:\Users\jriker\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server

I also have and who know how many other items, changed the cache folder as shown

image.png.da56014c4d975acd3716fbebc64e7608.png

That is on the JBOD so guessing that will stick?

One other item, with your suggestion to move all the main subdirectories, do I still need to do a restore with that plugin?

jriker1

Didn't hear on running that plugin but so far not sure it's restoring or just downloading everything again, but I have a spatter of videos marked watched and those that are not (I watched them).  Note I did have to add a new share for each original Library, so added the new version then removed the old one as the server name is different but the paths are the same.  So like the below, I have pretty much watched all these.

image.thumb.png.bf94f3cef785935f44e83dddf4518781.png

OK not going to lie slightly frustrating.  Tried doing the restore from that configuration backup plugin and no joy. Where physically does Emby keep track of what shows were watched?  Seems like it's based on name or ID so not sure what to do here.

Edited by jriker1

jriker1

Well that's weird.  I need to go thru this a bit.  But if I click into a video that I know I watched, it shows Played, then when i go back a screen the checkbox shows.  So seems to be some kind of refresh issue.

Rolivaras

I'll take this opportunity to ask a question:

My Server is configured to save images in media folders. But I realized that for some time now, he hasn't been saving anymore. Previously it saved thumb, nfo, jpeg...

Today in the folders, there is only the mkv movie file for example.

This is normal? As I plan to do a fresh install and would like to restore all modified metadata content to this new install.

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, Rolivaras said:

I'll take this opportunity to ask a question:

My Server is configured to save images in media folders. But I realized that for some time now, he hasn't been saving anymore. Previously it saved thumb, nfo, jpeg...

Today in the folders, there is only the mkv movie file for example.

This is normal? As I plan to do a fresh install and would like to restore all modified metadata content to this new install.

No and normally comes back to permissions assuming specific example is showing images.

If you test on a specific example and Edit image and change the image or even downloading the same image what does the server log show?  You can do the same by Edit metadata and hitting Save.