4.0.26 UI Gripe...

SDMattman

SDMattman

I want to start out by saying I generally like Emby.  I discovered it about 2 years ago when Plex started to get really stupid and started messing with their platform.  I haven't upgraded to a premium subscription yet because I have a few odds and ends I need to shore up to get the most out of it (new tv tuner, maybe a new server, etc).

Emby has worked great, especially with the Roku app.

But these new UI tweaks in 4.0.26 are a bit much.  Specifically, the way TV shows are displayed.

The new vertical layout just seems slower, and there's no way to go backwards in it as a shortcut to the end of the season.  With the prior layout you could scroll to the left, jumping to the end of the episode list.  With the new layout you need to scroll through every... single... episode.

I can understand that you're trying to mirror the web UI.  But when using the Web UI you can scroll much faster than you can on a Roku.  Depending on your device you may even be able to grab the screen and slide all the way down in a single flick.

Can we get an option to restore the old way of navigation, and/or an easy way to scroll backwards, faster, or both?

Sammy

Have you tried using the alpha-numeric bar on the left side to quickly navigate to the number or first letter of the show you are trying to get to?

• Like 1

Hi.  Can I ask the process  you are using that takes you to the season screen in the first place, instead of just playing from Next Up?  Are you moving around and playing different episodes out of order?

Happy2Play

I am confused also as I almost never go to season level unless I am re-watching a series.

pwhodges

I use the season view constantly (we're all different it seems!).  This is probably a situation in which opening the season with the first unwatched item highlighted would save a lot of scrolling (as I may have mentioned before... ;) ).

Paul

• Like 1

Happy2Play

True but the Web always has always been this way so I never knew the Roku was ever any different, so that show how valuable that view is to me.  Show how often I have used Season view on Roku.  But it is more click but clicking a episode via Season view to Episode view has a vertical scroller of all season episodes.

Edited by Happy2Play

Gilgamesh_48
21 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

I am confused also as I almost never go to season level unless I am re-watching a series.

If I "rewatch" a series I first mark it unwatched then I watch the series just like normal. I almost never use the "season" view from my clients (Roku, Fire Stick, Shield or other). I use the web interface after marking it unwatched to place the first episode in "continue watching" by partially playing it. After that first episode is played all the way through the show is placed in "Next up" and then everything is fine and I play the rest of the series from "Next up."

In fact I kind of wish that all the complexities like "season" view could be turned off in the clients and thereby save the overhead from being used on my clients. To me clients are for watching and nothing else. The web interface does everything else I need to do. Clients and the web interface have a lot of duplicate functionality and I just wish a lot of the duplication could be removed from the client.

• Agree 1

Happy2Play
22 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

This is probably a situation in which opening the season with the first unwatched item highlighted would save a lot of scrolling (as I may have mentioned before... ;) ).

Resolved in new beta.

The reason the season view doesn't automatically scroll to first unwatched is because I assumed anyone entering the season view was there to view the entire season.  If you want the next up episode, you just passed it - twice - in order to get to the season view.

• Like 2

pwhodges

I prefer to navigate via the view which has the episode summaries, thank you.  I also (with what I consider sufficient reason) sometimes view using a different account, so the next up is not necessarily accurate.

Just to be clear, there are things I dislike in Netflix, iPlayer, etc, which I still dislike when they appear in Emby (though fortunately not all of them do).  I don't expect Emby to change to suit my personal taste, but I will continue to use it the way I want rather than someone else's way; and making this season display consistent with the other clients is a help in that, thanks.

Paul

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pwhodges said:

sometimes view using a different account, so the next up is not necessarily accurate.

In that case, automatically advancing to the next unwatched episode would also be incorrect and, potentially a nuisance for you.

That is the reasoning behind not advancing automatically.  The user literally had to manually click past at least two opportunities to play the next up episode (one of which did have the summary if enhanced home screen is active) in order to get to the season screen.  Therefore,  the thinking is that the reason for navigating to this screen is most likely NOT to play the next up episode.

11 minutes ago, ebr said:

The user literally had to manually click past at least two opportunities to play the next up episode (one of which did have the summary if enhanced home screen is active) in order to get to the season screen.

The Next Up is only for a single season. Say I have some unwatched in season 3 and 4. But I am presently playing season 7. Now the Next Up will send me right to season 7. But when I enter Season 3 it moves me right to those unwatched episodes. The Next Up would not do this it takes me to Season 7.

This is the difference. The Next Up knows which season and episode you are on. Goes there. The Season view just looks at the first unwatched and take focus there when it finds a hole. That is sort of intuitive and completely different than the Next Up.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, speechles said:

The Next Up is only for a single season. Say I have some unwatched in season 3 and 4. But I am presently playing season 7. Now the Next Up will send me right to season 7. But when I enter Season 3 it moves me right to those unwatched episodes. The Next Up would not do this it takes me to Season 7

I'm not saying it is impossible for this to be the case.  I'm saying that is a less likely scenario than not.  The most likely scenario is what default behavior should be based upon.

3 minutes ago, ebr said:

I'm not saying it is impossible for this to be the case.  I'm saying that is a less likely scenario than not.  The most likely scenario is what default behavior should be based upon.

Does using Shuffle confuse the Next Up? I have always wondered about that. If one was to Shuffle a series doesn't that make Next Up useless? Having it find holes in Seasons would then be a boon.

1 minute ago, speechles said:

Does using Shuffle confuse the Next Up? I have always wondered about that. If one was to Shuffle a series doesn't that make Next Up useless? Having it find holes in Seasons would then be a boon.

Again - a minority situation.  But, also, if you are shuffling, you likely don't care about watched status or you filter by it.

Let's please let the actual user explain their reasons (like pwhodges did) instead of guessing.

6 minutes ago, ebr said:

Again - a minority situation.  But, also, if you are shuffling, you don't care about watched status.

Incorrect. You do care about watched and want only unwatched shuffled in each time. When watching Black Mirror for example. Or maybe Room 104. Or maybe Twilight Zone, Tales from the Dark Side, Outer Limits, Amazing Stories, Eerie Indiana, Are You Afraid of the Dark, Etc.. These do not need chronological order at all. But having watched states is important and finding holes is.

Edited by speechles

6 minutes ago, speechles said:

Incorrect. You do care about watched and want only unwatched shuffled in each time. When watching Black Mirror for example. Or maybe Room 104. Or maybe Twilight Zone, Tales from the Dark Side, Outer Limits, Amazing Stories, Eerie Indiana, Are You Afraid of the Dark, Etc.. These do not need chronological order at all. But having watched states is important and finding holes is.

In those cases, the most likely thing to do would be to filter the season screen to unwatched episodes - so, again, not likely moving to the first unwatched is doing anything for you that next up didn't already.

8 minutes ago, ebr said:

Let's please let the actual user explain their reasons (like pwhodges did) instead of guessing.