Question about folder access

thisguy2626
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

thisguy2626

Yes. As I said I can access the data through windows just fine, all of the hard drives are shared with full control, the server itself is denying access somewhere. I could access the data fine 2 weeks ago through the server.

I do not use a windows homegroup, nor do I utilize the DLNA feature, so I have sharing turned off in that regard. I just have all of the drives and folders set to share and navigate to them over my network.

Edited by thisguy2626

thisguy2626

Version 3.0.5340.21263

The server will no longer access any of my networked drives just on one PC where my media is stored. my NAS and tablet both show up with access to their data...

The folders/drives where my media is stored on another PC is all fully shared and I can directly access them on the PC through windows, but if I attempt to scan the library it fails. I removed all of the library folders one at a time to try and sort out where it was erring but it will no longer even show any of my media folders under my networked PC's name when I attempt to readd the media paths. It just said "Access to path '\\nick-room\e' is denied" I get the same error no matter the shared drive or folder that I attempt to access. I have to manually type out the directory as nothing comes up but the PC name in the media path section when I attempt to navigate to it through the media library tab of the server.

I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling to see if it helps...

Edit: Well upon reinstall I was able to readd the folders, but the scan media library is still failing and none of my folders show up under my pc nick-room when I attempt to navigate to the network path through the server still.

Examples of the networked directories not showing up through the server. Nearly all of my media is stored on "NICK-ROOM." I can access all of the files on NICK-ROOM if I navigate to them via windows.

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard03.jpg

Clipboard04.jpg

What could be blocking the server? I disable the firewall and antivirus on both computers to test and I still could not access.

Thanks for your help.

server-63543916800.txt

MBS is unable to access all of the locations that are listed in the log as access denied. try running it from the tray icon instead of the windows service. the answer most likely is the service account needs access to those locations.

thisguy2626

The service account being what? The user for that computer? It only has one user which has administrator privileges and I can access the folders and drives just fine if I navigate through windows instead of the server's UI.

I'm changing it to the tray now. will up date.

Edit: you were right that changing from service to tray would allow it to scan the library... The windows service account is logged in via the local system account which has access to the shared drives already though so I'm not sure what to do with that...

Edited by thisguy2626

whatever account the service is running under, which might not be the same as your windows account, even though you only have one.

Are you absolutely sure you've set up sharing correctly and all pc are correctly connected to the same identical home group on every PC? This is different than right clicking the drive letter and choosing "share with" and using advanced sharing to enable upnp. Doing both ensures you have optimal sharing of all media.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

thisguy2626

How do I know which account the service is utilizing? Under the log on tab for this service  it is set to local system account.

thisguy2626

Thanks for the link. Does that mean that I am required to set a password for the user?

I don't understand what has changed though. I used to be able to run the server as a service just fine on this PC and it never denied access to my networked drives before. Plus, it has access to other media that is not on that PC, like my Network Attached Storage. What has changed?

Edited by thisguy2626

thisguy2626

Why would the server be able to access some data from some sources and not others?

Well its working now, so thanks.

I also have another question you may be able to answer. Does the graphics card matter in terms of the server? Will anything be improved if I use anything other than the integrated graphics?

Edited by thisguy2626

thisguy2626

OK, so is there a way to improve the quality and stability when I am trying to watch something on my samsung galaxy note 10.1 2014 tablet? I'm sure a lot of it has to do with watching on a tablet, not the best components in the first place, but usually, when it actually connects to the server, it will buffer every 30-45 seconds of video for multiple minutes before resuming playback.

Is there anything I can do to improve that? I have set the bitrate settings to the lowest possible option and got some improved results, but it would still buffer more than it seems that it should.

thisguy2626

Yes speechless, that app.

I didn't even consider trying the web client, I didn't think it would work.

Edited by thisguy2626