Bug in 4.0.26 app

SDMattman

SDMattman

I'm not a fan of the new horizontal vertical format in 4.0.26, but I have an issue with its functionality.

I beleive I found a bug, and I can reproduce the behavior.

From the new horizontal vertical view... when browsing a pertular episode (episode 14) of a show and clicking play, it plays episode 1 of the season instead of the selected one.
From the horizontal vertical view, if I click the OK button to pull up the full screen details of the episode... and click play there... it plays the correct episode.

I'm not sure how many pieces of media are impacted by this as this update just came up on my Roku a few hours ago.  Backend is running 4.5.4.0

Edited by SDMattman
messed up my vertical / horizontal.. want to correct to help people that stumble on this in the future

SDMattman
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi, new episode list is actually vertical, not horizontal, right?

Right. sorry... brain fart

12 hours ago, SDMattman said:

From the new horizontal vertical view... when browsing a pertular episode (episode 14) of a show and clicking play, it plays episode 1 of the season instead of the selected one.
From the horizontal vertical view, if I click the OK button to pull up the full screen details of the episode... and click play there... it plays the correct episode.

I'm not sure how many pieces of media are impacted by this as this update just came up on my Roku a few hours ago.  Backend is running 4.5.4.0

Going to try and reproduce but wanted to ask if episode 14 in this case is the last episode of that season?

SDMattman

No it is not the last episode.

Now it seems to be doing this on all of my TV shows, regardless of the episode number (it always plays episode 1, regardless of what is chosen). 

I don't see a pattern yet. At least one show is in SD, and doesn't require transcoding to stream to the Roku.  I thought it looked like it was an issue with anything at or above episode 10, and thought maybe the code was parshing out the second digit (asking for episode 14, return with episode 1) but that doesn't seem to be the case.

As least one show plays episode 1 regardless of what epsiode is selected.

All media involved (so far) has already been watched (it has the green check mark).

I have two Rokus that behave the same way.

One Roku is a 3931RW running 9.4.0 build 4210-AE. I don't have the exact model number of the second, but I beleve it's a slightly older version of the 3931

That is really strange.  See if you can find any pattern we can try to use to duplicate.

Thank you for reporting. We should have this fixed in the next beta round.

Reference: Fix #1103: [ExpandedDetailsView] Play focused episode not series from start

If you watch your episodes in chronological order you may not have noticed this. The problem is the focus was on the "Play Next Up" button when you press PLAY. It was not using the focused row position. Instead it would act like you just pressed "Play Next Up" and you would get whichever episode was next. It could even be episodes in previous seasons than you expected. If you had all episodes watched and pressed PLAY on any episode it would always start at the very first episode of the very first season you have in that series.

We have corrected this. When you press PLAY it will play in the video player the episode you are focused on. When you press OK it will enter into details view for the episode you are focused on.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

SDMattman
1 hour ago, speechles said:

We have corrected this. When you press PLAY it will play in the video player the episode you are focused on. When you press OK it will enter into details view for the episode you are focused on.

I'm a little confused by this.  By corrected, do you mean an update will be pushed out to the Roku now, or are you talking about a focus issue that was fixed in this version over the last?

My current work around is to click ok on the episode (from the new UI with 3 episodes listed) and play then media from the details view. This is clunky, and it's a lot of extra menu navigation.

Is there another work around I can use at this point?

2 minutes ago, SDMattman said:

I'm a little confused by this.  By corrected, do you mean an update will be pushed out to the Roku now, or are you talking about a focus issue that was fixed in this version over the last?

My current work around is to click ok on the episode (from the new UI with 3 episodes listed) and play then media from the details view. This is clunky, and it's a lot of extra menu navigation.

Is there another work around I can use at this point?

There is not a work-around. It is a "BUG" in the application. It would always play the next up when using PLAY which is the expected result on a detail view. But not for an expanded detail view. For an expanded detail view it should play the focused item when using PLAY which is what it will do.

It requires an update to the Emby Roku application. You can use the Emby Beta for Roku and once we update it will appear in Beta first. To get the update onto Roku store requires Roku approve the update and that is a process that takes time. The Beta we can update at any time. We usually schedule when we update the Beta so as not to annoy users with updates all the time.