Hubitat light control?

hstamas
Go to solution Solved by MRobi,

hstamas

About ready to give up on Smartthings and switch to Hubitat but would hate to loose the excellent lighting control provided to us from @chef.

I'm reading that web hooks wont work due to the way Emby sends commands.

Any other way to control Hubitat lights within Emby or how can we possibly convince @chef to write us yet another add-on ;)

Hi, webhooks can work just fine if you have something that can accept and understand them.

MRobi
10 hours ago, hstamas said:

About ready to give up on Smartthings and switch to Hubitat but would hate to loose the excellent lighting control provided to us from @chef.

I'm reading that web hooks wont work due to the way Emby sends commands.

Any other way to control Hubitat lights within Emby or how can we possibly convince @chef to write us yet another add-on ;)

https://github.com/MRobi1/Hubitat

Here you go. Emby Communicator app for Hubitat. Wrote it about a year ago just never got around to releasing it on the Hubitat boards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hstamas

Thats excellent @MRobi, thank you!

How difficult is this to install into Hubitat? I havent actually made the switch from Smartthings yet.

Could you briefly explain how this works.

Basically only need to trigger specific lights or a scene (if Hubitat has scenes?) on play - pause - stop.

BillOatman
22 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, webhooks can work just fine if you have something that can accept and understand them.

Agreed.  I have a windows app that self hosts a web service and it gets the messages from Emby and sets Philips Hue scenes just fine.

Edited by BillOatman

• Solution
MRobi
6 hours ago, hstamas said:

Thats excellent @MRobi, thank you!

How difficult is this to install into Hubitat? I havent actually made the switch from Smartthings yet.

Could you briefly explain how this works.

Basically only need to trigger specific lights or a scene (if Hubitat has scenes?) on play - pause - stop.

It's quite simple. In Hubitat you have the option to install custom apps. In that area you point it to the raw github file and it'll pull in the code. Then you go to your normal apps section and install the app. You have to enter in your Emby server info and also consider the webhook section from emby to point to your hubitat. Fromt here the app creates devices in hubitat (just like your lights, plugs, locks, etc...) You can then use those devices as triggers or conditions in rule machine. So to do lights you'd create a rule that basically says "If state of emby device changes to playing, then dim lights". You can make them as complex as you want. You can also create separate rules based on the type of media playing (tv, movie, music) or even if a specific show is playing.

• Like 1

hstamas
4 hours ago, BillOatman said:

Agreed.  I have a windows app that self hosts a web service and it gets the messages from Emby and sets Philips Hue scenes just fine.

Hey Bill! Hope all is well!!

I just did a cursory look around at options and I had read in a couple places that Emby sends GET commands but Hubitat wants PUT (or vice versa)? All greek to me but my setup right now really wont support any work arounds or overly complex setups so I was hoping there was a canned app that would allow me to continue automating my lights if I did switch over to Hubitat.

Edited by hstamas

BillOatman
19 hours ago, hstamas said:

Hey Bill! Hope all is well!!

I just did a cursory look around at options and I had read in a couple places that Emby sends GET commands but Hubitat wants PUT (or vice versa)? All greek to me but my setup right now really wont support any work arounds or overly complex setups so I was hoping there was a canned app that would allow me to continue automating my lights if I did switch over to Hubitat.

Hi, I am well thanks hope you are the same!

The webhooks thing sends json with the state (like playing or paused for example) to your web service. The code behind the web service would do what it needs to, send a message to the hue bridge, or whatever hubitat uses.  It works well.  The issue is, it is outside the Emby ecosystem and not as nice or "canned" as a plugin would be.  

• 2 years later...
PrincessClevage
On 4/21/2021 at 4:34 AM, MRobi said:

It's quite simple. In Hubitat you have the option to install custom apps. In that area you point it to the raw github file and it'll pull in the code. Then you go to your normal apps section and install the app. You have to enter in your Emby server info and also consider the webhook section from emby to point to your hubitat. Fromt here the app creates devices in hubitat (just like your lights, plugs, locks, etc...) You can then use those devices as triggers or conditions in rule machine. So to do lights you'd create a rule that basically says "If state of emby device changes to playing, then dim lights". You can make them as complex as you want. You can also create separate rules based on the type of media playing (tv, movie, music) or even if a specific show is playing.

Hi MRobi, Might you have a walkthrough guide to adding this userapp to Hubitat ? Does this app still work? Attempting to migrate away from Vera and similar to Bill really missing my Emby integration.

Update 25/4/23

I have this User App working but it only updates from emby >Hubitat and does not seems to control from Hubitat> Emby, is this correct or have i possibly missed something in the setup? 

p.s the media scene app is also great! 

Thanks

Edited by PrincessClevage

MRobi

My Hubitat died on me almost 2yrs ago now. It's sole purpose was to bring in play state and media info into hubitat so you could get the data into rule machine to make rules. Things like when playing a tv show dim lights to 80% or when playing a movie dim to 20%. This wasn't a 2-way app.

Edited by MRobi
  • Thanks 1

Junglejim

Hi guys, I'm pretty sure HomeAssistant has a Hubitat intergartion (I've never used Hubitat devices).

Not sure you would want to go as far as setting up HomeAssistant? But it's a powerful bit of software with a bit of a learning curve. ;)

I use it to control my Lifix lights and it works great.

Edited by Junglejim

• 4 months later...

Shot in the dark here...  I've looked everywhere and I Cant figure out why I keep getting this error when using the emby communicator app.  I copy and past it to the app code section, use the oauth button. Loads fine but when I input the server's credentials it fails to create devices. Im not too good with all this code stuff as I had a vera for years that bricked and it was pretty idiot proof.  just trying to keep my light automation going to dim/turn on the lights when playing/pausing movie.  Everything else has been pretty easy transfering all my other switches and themostats, no problem.  any way here the error code any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:

Error creating device: com.hubitat.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type 'Emby Communicator Device' in namespace 'MRobi' not found