Automated "Instant Play" for the lazy people (a.k.a 99% of population.)

Lighthouse

Lighthouse

So, I was sneaking Plex subreddit and came across this thread.

Something that got my attention was a lot of people just want instant grafication. They don't want to search, or look through catalog. A lot of people just want to "turn this thing and it plays for me."

It sounds small, but I feel it is very important to have some kind of an option for those people who are not even willing to click once let alone click twice.

So Emby should have an option to configure "Instant Play" for specific users with two choices.

1) When the app is open, a gigantic "PLAY" button appears among with catalog. If clicked, a random video, possibly from a pre-selected favorite genre (done during account creation) is played.

2) A video is immediately played as soon as the app is open, also perhaps from the pre-selected favorite genre. No question asked.

If the user does not like the video being played, there should be some simple interface buttons or tapping the screen changes the video. Tapping/clicking several times or hitting Esc key brings back the menu of the app.

I believe this is one of better ways to hook people to the app.

.....I have to admit I feel this will also help me a lot, since I am the one of the guys "who hoards but never watches" type. Because.... tbh I feel lazy and tired when I look at the titles at libraries as well 😅

Edited by Lighthouse
grammar

The VirtualTV Plugin sounds like it could be an option for you to look at if you have Premier.

.. and your right...sometimes trying to find something to watch ( that you have already watched for quality/keep/throw away ) as the archiver and admin/IT/Ghost in the Machine to all those who would use it.. Takes too long...

Click to load... and one more click I believe.. The Virtual TV plugin can accomplish a lot for you.. ( If I had premiere I would be using it. )..

Sort of gives you the option to set up channels much the same way as you mentioned...

I think that is what EMBY tries to do with offering 'Latest Releases' on the home page.

'Play Video on Load' someone else will have to chime in on that one.

Edited by Guest

Lighthouse

Yes, I do have Premier, but it seems it basically wraps the videos into Live TV and I have to go to Live TV channel.

The randomness is good start, but I think it is still rather a clumsy solution (with some limitations as well), and the most importantly, people really just want to click once or NOT clicking at all. Something that immediately starts video would be really good.

Edited by Lighthouse

So you basically want to walk in and turn on a TV and start watching right then..

Like the old days of UHF/VHF and cable... With ability to switch what is on... by changing channels.

Without any app involvement? or switching apps..

Edited by Guest

PuffyToesToo

I know what you mean as I have users who want this level of passive simplicity. I would LOVE for Emby to allow the admin to decide what the landing/homepage is on a per user basis. I would definitely choose the Virtual TV plugin for my parents, as this would be perfect for them. 

My TV would likely try to punish me by only giving such movies as My Fair Lady, Princess Diaries, Titanic, Miss Congeniality which are all movies with etiquette lessons in them.
Punishment for leaving the TV on 24x7. :)