Media (small): Different beahavior than Windows Server

MBSki

MBSki
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

But I do not understand your two different server showing these different views, it is a display mode.

I don't either. It's really bizarre. Both servers are totally stuck in 1 display mode. 2 completely different servers, 2 completely different users. So strange. I'd be fine if they were different and I could change it, but I can't.

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

I don't either. It's really bizarre. Both servers are totally stuck in 1 display mode. 2 completely different servers, 2 completely different users. So strange. I'd be fine if they were different and I could change it, but I can't.

So Display Mode is identical in device settings (user icon-Display)?  Is each server detecting the client differently on Auto?

Edited by Happy2Play

MBSki
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

So Display Mode is identical in device settings (user icon-Display)?  Is each server detecting the client differently on Auto?

Yep. And changing display mode doesn't change anything on any client or server. It's just stuck on either desktop or mobile view. 

Happy2Play

I can force the issue/difference by changing Display Mode from Desktop to TV as this order changes LtR vs TtB.  At least is does on my desktop.  As other images were from debug console screen emulation.

MBSki
3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

I can force the issue/difference by changing Display Mode from Desktop to TV as this order changes LtR vs TtB.  At least is does on my desktop.  As other images were from debug console screen emulation.

I can change to TV and icon size changes, but order stays the same.

Okay I think I may have something that helps you figure this out.. 

I am using Edge on Windows 10.. for these screenshots.. I noticed.. something I did not before and have to recant talking about the Display Settings changing it in the WebUI..

What I did after noticing the problem in my phone Just as was stated by mbarylski.. is that nothing changes in the beta.. BUT this still has to do with the viewable area.. In fact this is written into the code of Emby. as it is rendering the page.. Without reloading.. I am using Desktop Mode on my computer.. I took a snippet every time I noticed a change as I shrunk my browser until I could not shrink the browser any longer...and finally opened it in the WebUI App that you can create in Edge to get it even smaller..

It would seem that below a certain percentage, the columns, with alternative order kicks in.

BROWSER

04_18.2021_155533.jpg.822889f110b00f60162653615cb38562.jpg

04_18.2021_155600.jpg.6b97aa0fa96b628c2174ed8e152ea57c.jpg

04_18.2021_155629.jpg.c0b4c744087d9a0b224eceaf9f8919e5.jpg

APP

04_18.2021_155755.jpg.a17923dd786ba5483fae345a0e08bc09.jpg

I honestly like the appearance better with one row.. and not multiple columns but I could see the reasoning behind it.. If I was looking at the appearance of the main page on smaller screens... There would probably be another approach to retain eye candy for presentation and allow for quick browsing.. Some people seem to not like vertical scrolling.. and I have seen may posts around about the subject.. I am thinking about how it hits the users eyes and function at the same time.

Maybe we put something together to please everybody with smaller screens ( or LARGESS type or ZoOOm or just pure lazy ) for feature request taking what made this change a step farther.. 

The reason for the difference between servers is probably just the server versioning.. ;) Still don't say it is a 'bug' however.

Edited by Guest

Happy2Play

I would still say direction order should be maintained, one or the other.  As order changes right about here.

rs1.thumb.jpg.1d558a46cc43e36f45e1f2f5a9ce91cf.jpg

rs2.thumb.jpg.fc0d4f50b34ab98e15298064196cbaa0.jpg

• Agree 1

MBSki

I agree. And, I shouldn't be getting different behavior on the SAME server version. My windows server is 4.5.4 and my WD NAS is 4.5.4. The NAS re-orders when shrinking the screen, the windows server doesn't change at all. Neither server changes when changing the display mode from desktop to mobile, or mobile to desktop. 

And I don't understand how re-ordering helps when shrinking the screen anyways. switching from horizontal to vertical I can understand, but what's the point of putting the libraries in a different order? 

@Luke Can you provide a response? Whatever the intent, the end result does not seem to be optimal. And I seem to be experiencing a bug on the WD NAS software. Don't know why just that software is causing an issue. If the beta could be released to stable, I could test again in the updated version. 

On 4/17/2021 at 7:18 PM, Happy2Play said:

@Luke Should order be the same no matter the view/mode?

LtR (desktop)

ltr.thumb.jpg.0cdf9007814f3aa818eda5bf4967a340.jpg

TtB (odds and evens) (mobile)

TtB.thumb.jpg.a58bed38a433be825866bfb7d863cac8.jpg

No, it depends on the scroll direction of the list.

On 4/16/2021 at 2:46 PM, Luke said:

It could be that one is scrolling vertically, the other horizontally, and since there are two rows that will change the way they are laid out.

MBSki
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

You already said this. Nothing scrolls vertically, anywhere. How exactly would you vertically scroll? There are only 2 rows. In order to scroll vertically there should be more than 2 rows like it used 5o be.

Did you read any of the other posts in this thread? There's some strange behavior here. Your answer doesn't really seem to address all the strange behavior.

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, Luke said:

No, it depends on the scroll direction of the list.

But this order only change on Small at specific resolution, to me that statement would apply to My Media also but does not.  My media always maintains left to Right.

As mentioned there is no Vertical/Horizontal option here, scaling is making the change.

But OP issue is still different if seeing different results on same client from different platform servers.

• Agree 1

Happy2Play

It is harder to see the transition scroll container without lots of libraries.  So this is the vertical vs horizontal difference.

lots.thumb.jpg.6541d0b52b3986664e273efa9b725d69.jpg

So to keep your visible sort order Emby needs to do top to bottom as left to right would loose your order off the screen.

lots2.thumb.jpg.4eb37274e4c90f86f6e37c273e29fe68.jpg

And My Media is a single row so it maintains left to right when container changes to scroll.

But still does not explain your Server platform difference.

Edited by Happy2Play

MBSki

Geez that's a lot of libraries! 

10 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

But still does not explain your Server platform difference.

No, it definitely doesn't. It doesn't make any sense. @Luke Once you release the current beta to stable, please help.

What I still don't get though is why it's auto adjusting if there are options to force 1 selection or another. if the Display is on Auto, fine, auto adjust. If it's on mobile or desktop, just leave it alone. Desktop = horizontal, mobile = vertical, or vice versa, it doesn't matter. For those that want the vertical desktop, they can get that in Auto or one of the specific selections. @Happy2Play @Hxemby001 Wouldn't this work better than auto adjusting by some strange window size?

That would really depend on the device and screen rotation.. plus client choice.. For instance the TV App does this.. ( May sound strange ) but this the way most people scroll through their TV APPS on MOST TV APPS.. since I can remember rather it is a Roku or Smart TV or w/e..

MBSki
1 minute ago, Hxemby001 said:

That would really depend on the device and screen rotation.. plus client choice.. 

Why? My point is, why not just leave the configuration up to the display option selected by the user? All the options are available within those options. Just let those options dictate how it displays so users can see things as they want them.

The reason it auto adjust is written into the CSS code.. just like writing CSS and JS that changes viewing an position/settings when you request the mobile version of a website.. When you write a web site, you have to consider all of these and is a normal form or routine for that. This enables different font sizes and viewable area for devices which make it easier for the end user to read and view the site, instead of it showing up looking like a train wreck or being harder to use or too small to read. Touch interfaces are also different from using a mouse and keyboard.. NOW.. think about how many devices there are that need various different type of changes for support..

So what you are asking is actually added options.. complicates and adds more options and code.. may become confusing for most people ( keeps it dumbed-up a bit for compatibility ).. every time  new configuration or device is made.. new code is going to be asked for.. So you present a relatively simple interface that changes basics within the layout to accommodate the majority of devices.. You have options to choose which one you want.. and using other settings including the ZOOM function which exist on your browser.. to change it further.

SO unless you deny this functionality... and then come up with a whole new section of CSS code that enable a different way of doing this that is better.. and compatible among ALL considered devices... this winds up being what is developed because of requests and pushes for those changes...

That is why I suggested coming up with...

A better way to accommodate these smaller screens and the world of all devices.. ( because changing this rea changes it for everybody and ALL devices... unless you bloat the process ).. TO actually enable your 'CHOICE' setting to be kept a certain way. The same process which is considered when making these changes.. and continuing to offer free access.. through the WebUI compatible for everyone.. Not FORCING the purchase of apps and subscriptions..

To follow through on the promise that it is free... and compatible...

So coming up with a mock-up or feature request that is proper to provide for everyone concerned ( still allowing the server to automatically change to fit the screen and device.. as well as off specific settings.. seems to me the viable process to go through.. and to see how much support it gets from the community it concerns... 

The ONLY other thing I could imagine doing is plugging in your OWN CSS... to change it.

MBSki

I guess I should've been more specific. Why not leave the library order up to the display options? The CSS code for device type is messing with the code for the display option.  

9 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Why not leave the library order up to the display options?

Right and I explain why that is done in the tl;DR post I made above... I think I am going to make that my status..

WHY NOT CHANGE THE DISPLAY ORDER TO FIT YOUR NEEDS BETTER FOR THE OPTION YOU HAVE SELECTED? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Guest

MBSki
6 minutes ago, Hxemby001 said:

Right and I explain why that is done in the tl;DR post I made above... I think I am going to make that my status..

No, you say the CSS is detecting the device and changing it based on the device. I'm suggesting that should NOT be done.

6 minutes ago, Hxemby001 said:

WHY NOT CHANGE THE DISPLAY ORDER TO FIT YOUR NEEDS BETTER FOR THE OPTION YOU HAVE SELECTED? 🤷‍♂️

Huh? I can't. That's kind of the point of this post. Auto, Desktop, and Mobile options all act the same, and none of them show the order that I see on my other servers. That, to me, is a bug. The exact same server version shouldn't act differently on a different server platform.  

You do not have this page in your settings?

HOME SCREEN

04_19.2021_142250.jpg.9c9949e7451cb4345511d15005997d31.jpg

I would go into the one that works and write down your settings if need be and check every setting in the user account on the second sever. to be sure.

Edited by Guest

IF it definitely IS a 'bug' and not specific to one situation or written in as part of design, not just a personal preference.. or line of reasoning ( or it becomes a feature request to require a change ).

That is what happens in reproducing the issue or the discovery process. This means that any effecting factors have to be accounted for and the actual issue found for a change to have to be made. It has to be pin-pointed as to the exact point of failure or found ( in this situation the code )..

MBSki

Yea, I hear ya. 

Even if it isn't a bug though, it shouldn't change if I've fixed the display settings to desktop or mobile. That's just my opinion though so I'm sure I'll just have to live with it the way it is.

Actually if your in a fixed display.. without the ability to change it.. then something isn't happening...I would try deleting all of the known devices for the user.. restart the server and try again after login.. Also make sure the cache has been cleared in your browser. ( and/or all apps have been completely shut down and restarted on all devices ).